Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks. I called up yesterday and bought some of these CDs. She also showed me where to print the forms to have 2 Roth IRAs CDs transferred to Penfed. I need to get those completed and call tomorrow to see if our credit union accepts faxed copies.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How do people like the PenFed app?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #103

The app isn't slick or beautiful, but it gets the job done. You can see transaction history and transfer between accounts.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
The app isn't slick or beautiful, but it gets the job done. You can see transaction history and transfer between accounts.
Is this an android or apple app? I couldn't find it in google store?
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #105

Mine is an Apple iPad app, there is also one for iPhone.

Or this is their mobile site -
https://smartphone.penfed.org/PFOL_M...on.aspx?bhcp=1
Old 12-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I agree. It's pretty basic but functional.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue j View Post
i just noticed the new rates on penfed certificates (cds). I don't know if the shorter terms have also increased rates, but i'm certain that the 3% is new.

https://www.penfed.org/money-market-...te/?wt.ac=1197

5 year and 7 year are at 3%. Early withdrawal penalties apply.
thank you!!!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Yes, but a $15.00 donation to their favorite charity makes you an instant member.
Or ever donated blood for Red Cross.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
thank you!!!
Yes, I think we all are feeling quite grateful to Sue J for the heads up last week.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #110

You're welcome!

I've gotten plenty of very good advice here so I'm glad to make a contribution. I'm not a very sophisticated investor, although I've ventured into some Vanguard funds. A nice 3% CD for the extra "mattress money" is an easy decision.

This was another find that I posted in 2010 -
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...fer-51751.html

Ah, the good old days of 5%!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You're welcome!

I've gotten plenty of very good advice here so I'm glad to make a contribution. I'm not a very sophisticated investor, although I've ventured into some Vanguard funds. A nice 3% CD for the extra "mattress money" is an easy decision.

This was another find that I posted in 2010 -
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...fer-51751.html

Ah, the good old days of 5%!
I bought some of those 10-yr 5% CDs back in 2010 (thanks again for the FYI!). I wasn't sure it was a smart move at the time because a lot of people expected inflation to pick up, but it has paid off so far. Thanks to that Penfed offer, my CD ladder with an average maturity of 5.4 years still yields a decent 4%.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Or ever donated blood for Red Cross.
Is this serious or sarcastic? Did donating blood make me a member of the Red Cross?

I used to donate fairly regularly. But, they became reluctant to take my blood due to my international travel a few many years ago. I am sure I did not keep anything they gave me to verify that I had given blood.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Is this serious or sarcastic? Did donating blood make me a member of the Red Cross?

I used to donate fairly regularly. But, they became reluctant to take my blood due to my international travel a few many years ago. I am sure I did not keep anything they gave me to verify that I had given blood.
No, I am completely serious. As soon as Sue said it was PenFed who had 5yr CD for 3%, I called them although I thought you had to have been in the military or something similar.

When I said I am not sure if I belong to any organization, one thing the rep asked me was exactly that (If I ever donated blood for Red Cross), as well as if I have donated money to Red Cross (which I have done in the past, so I said I had donated money to Red Cross in the past). I asked if I needed to produce the receipt (which would have taken me time since I used my mileage on the card that I have already closed to do the donation), she said No. Even if you haven't done either of these things, I think the rep said all you had to do was to pay $15 to become a member. (I could be wrong, but in the old days, they had tigher restrictions on who can become a member...)
Old 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #114
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Anyone willing to donate $15 or $20 to a charity can become a member of PenFed Credit Union. Click "Help me join another way" on this PenFed web page: https://netmember3.penfed.org/NetMem...spx?MEMBERSHIP
Old 12-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I opened up a 5 year CD with money sitting around earning about 0.095%.

I am going to get more money to them in the next few days. However, since I am a new account the ACH transactions are limited to $50 a day. So, I have to call them and have PenFed initiate the transfer into a new CD. For some reason they do not trust me to deposit my money into their system.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Thanks. I opened up a 5 year CD with money sitting around earning about 0.095%.

I am going to get more money to them in the next few days. However, since I am a new account the ACH transactions are limited to $50 a day. So, I have to call them and have PenFed initiate the transfer into a new CD. For some reason they do not trust me to deposit my money into their system.
When you open the CD online they can transfer directly from your account, you give then the account number and routing number. I didn't have any limitations when I did that.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Open the certificate and transfer the funds directly there from an outside account. Don't try to go through the PenFed checking account.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Gee, look at our excitement over 3% for 5 years! The thought of interest on savings staying below 3% for five more years is rather depressing. Unless it also means inflation stays low too.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Gee, look at our excitement over 3% for 5 years! The thought of interest on savings staying below 3% for five more years is rather depressing. Unless it also means inflation stays low too.

Amethyst
It might be depressing to think that interest rates may not increase beyond the 3% in the next 5 years, but I am quite happy with the current CD offer at Pen Fed.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #120
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The thought of interest on savings staying below 3% for five more years is rather depressing. Unless it also means inflation stays low too.
+1

I cannot imagine the economic circumstances that would result in high inflation and low interest rates. Holding rates low while inflation rages would be pouring fuel on the flames - literally.