Join Early Retirement Today

New at PenFed - 3% 5yr certificates
Old 12-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New at PenFed - 3% 5yr certificates

I just noticed the new rates on PenFed certificates (CDs). I don't know if the shorter terms have also increased rates, but I'm certain that the 3% is new.

https://www.penfed.org/Money-Market-...te/?WT.ac=1197

5 year and 7 year are at 3%. Early withdrawal penalties apply.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
5 year and 7 year are at 3%. Early withdrawal penalties apply.
And even with their 1 year withdrawal penalty, you'd be ahead of the game compared to most other shorter-term CDs if you kept these for just two years. If interest rates climb, I'd just get out and buy something else.
Thanks for posting.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for posting. Just got one with some cash that was sitting earning less than 1% in a checking account. It took all of 2 minutes.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! My sister was talking w/ me regarding PenFed certs a month ago when they were at 2.02% and I had discussed the cost of breaking the certs. Emailed he to suggest she give up the month of interest she had earned in favor of these certs and found she was just getting ready to mail off a check for the old rate - she called and is signed up for the new rate and is happy (gotta talk to her about that whole delay of a month stuff though...)

Our 4% certs don't mature til 1/2015, with luck the rates will continue to climb.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the post. I'll have to buy a small one.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I sent in the paperwork to have part of my IRA/FI allocation transferred from VG to PenFed just last week. Will call and followup tomorrow. I figure it should roughly keep pace with inflation for 3 years and I hope that interest rates are "normal" by then.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #8

We finally re-balanced after 2.5 years so we have some cash that needs a home. I talked to PenFed on Friday about opening an IRA and they gave me the good news that rates beyond 3 years were going up.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #9

Those rates are almost double the current Ally rates. I wonder how they can do that!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Those rates are almost double the current Ally rates. I wonder how they can do that!
Volume!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Do note that the penalty for breaking one of those 5-7 year certificates is 365 days of interest.
So if you break the cert at the one year mark you earn 0%
if you break at the two year mark you earn an effective 1.5%
if you break at the three year mark you earn an effective 2%
if you break at the four year mark you earn an effective 2.25%
Go to maturity? 3%

Just saying. I'm in for an amount that is normally kept as fast emergency money. Stocks may make more - historically - but this is interest earning mattress money.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a question. I have more than $250,000 (FDIC Insurance Cap) that I want to put into CD laddering and I would like to take advantage of these 2% and 3% rates. Do I need to buy the CD's at different banks due to the FDIC celing? Or do you guys not pay any attention to that? I'm going to be putting a large part of my portfolio (retiring in next few months hopefully) into fixed income. I will not need access to it, so the CD laddering works for me.
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Deb, this FDIC website will answer all your questions: https://www.fdic.gov/edie/index.html

Remember that PenFed is a Credit Union, not under the FDIC umbrella. Rules on insured credit union accounts are found here: http://webapps.ncua.gov/ins/
Old 12-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! Very helpful!

Deb
Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Deb, this FDIC website will answer all your questions: https://www.fdic.gov/edie/index.html

Remember that PenFed is a Credit Union, not under the FDIC umbrella. Rules on insured credit union accounts are found here: NCUA: Electronic Share Insurance Calculator (E-Calculator) – Online Version
anyone aware of any practical differences between the 2?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
anyone aware of any practical differences between the 2?
There appears to be no real difference.

Quote:
The National Credit Union Association (NCUA) is equivalent to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). The only differences are that the NCUA deals only with credit institutions and that the NCUA uses the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF), while the FDIC uses the Deposit Insurance Fund. Both insurance funds are fully backed in good faith by the U.S. Government.
NCUA-Insured Institution Definition | Investopedia
Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, so I went and purchased two 5 year CD's this am at Pen Fed. Better than sitting in savings and money market and it is earmarked for retirement anyway. Can't believe I'm this happy about a 3% return but for my risk adverse personality, it works! Now, once I sell my business, I will be laddering CD's for about $1MM so hope the rates go up even more.

So I can have up to $250,000 insured in a single account holder account, DH can have an additional $250,000 in a single account holder account and we can also have a joint account insured up to $500,000. So in essence $1,000,000 in CD's at the same bank.

Debbie
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for this. Going to try and break up into a bunch of $1000 and $2000 accounts so I don't take a bath on the entire thing if I need to withdrawal....
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #19

I just called penfed and they said the penalty for early withdrawal was 6 months for 5 years and less and one year for above 5 years. does anyone know if this is true. I don't know if the customer service person was accurate. thanks
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I just called penfed and they said the penalty for early withdrawal was 6 months for 5 years and less and one year for above 5 years. does anyone know if this is true. I don't know if the customer service person was accurate. thanks

As i read it it's a 6 month penalty for certificates of LESS than 5 years:

Certificates with a term of 5 years or greater; (applies only to certificates issued or rolled over on 3/15/11 or later)

If redeemed within 365 days of the issue date or any renewal date, all dividends will be forfeited.

If redeemed thereafter, but before the maturity date, dividends for the most recent 365 days will be forfeited.

That's under details and disclosures.