Join Early Retirement Today

New Book
Old 05-31-2016, 05:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Book

Hi Folks,
Over on bogleheads, they're discussing a new retirement book: "Living off of your Money". It's available in hardback from Amazon, but is a bit pricy. Several folks there have contacted their local library to get a copy. A pdf version of the book is also available from the author's website (slightly cheaper) at Investing During Retirement where the first 3 chapters can be downloaded for free.
The first couple of chapters are more like an extended introduction (hey, it's free), but the third chapter introduces a withdrawal method I haven't seen before - "prime harvesting" that's worth a look.
The remaining chapters, if you buy the book, go into various known variable withdrawal methods, comparing and winnowing down to a few winners.
The author goes at length to use multiple sources of returns for his backtesting, including several different countries. He also goes into detail into how he avoids datamining (out of sequence testing, multiple sources of returns, multiple countries). It is fairly detailed and not for the casual reader.
The boglehead thread is at: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...ewpost=2923990

Cheers
Big-Papa
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 06:57 AM   #2

The Bogles seem to like it a lot, but not the $60 price.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
The Bogles seem to like it a lot, but not the $60 price.
No they don't. A frugal bunch! Anyway, if they can get their local library to foot the bill then they still have access! I shelled out the $50 for the pdf version. It's a tough slog and not to be read when you're about to fall asleep!
Old 06-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

$60 to tell us that the real risk is loss of income ...imagine that. I would say the real risk is following a blanket statement on risk. Each of is different, different size piles, different spending habits, different goals -we all face risk but it as varied as we are...
Overspending
Over gifting
Lack of diversification
Inflation sensitivity
Under insured

60 bucks will buy me a share of something that might pay $3 a year in dividends I think I'll reduce my risk.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

A second thread on bogleheads on this subject has opened up.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...ewpost=2931618
Old 06-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

And another thread on morningstar forums: New Book on investing during retirement