Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Assuming I file first at my FRA, I erroneously thought my DW could file at 62 and then file for an adjustment once she turns 66 to something less than 1/2 of mine. Any how, for our situation we still need to compare her filing for benefits at 62 vs at her FRA and see what the break even would be for her filing early if she gets a positive spousal adjustment immediately at 62. I need to plug our situation into one of the software apps and see when the breakeven would occur and actually read that book
to see what she gets as an early benefit if you file just take 1/2 your full , subtract what her full would have been if she didn't file early and add that difference to her early benefit.

that is what she gets if she files early and then gets the kicker added when you file.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:22 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Will she file for benefits at age 70?
She files for spousal benefits at the same time I file for my benefits. I will be 70 she will be 68.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Does your DW have 40 quarters of social security earnings herself (I am assuming she must to be able to file for benefits at 64).

I ask because a dear friend who is a retired teacher with a WEP/GPO pension just told me yesterday that she is four quarters shy of qualifying for social security, which for her would be minimal (the 36 quarters she has are from long ago jobs) but might qualify her for spousal and survivor benefits against her DH's SS, which she doesn't think she is entitled to right now. She asked if I thought she go back to work for a year in some random job to get the quarters. I didn't give her an opinion but it sounds like she should?
She has 8 years as a full-time salaried employee with significant SS contributions and then 5 other years with part-time employment. I assume that if the part-time work was spread out over a full year, she would get credit for those quarters too. (?)
Old 03-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #64
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
to see what she gets as an early benefit if you file just take 1/2 your full , subtract what her full would have been if she didn't file early and add that difference to her early benefit.

that is what she gets if she files early and then gets the kicker added when you file.
Thanks, I need to run the numbers and go through one of the software solutions. Perhaps for us, the better strategy will be having DW file for a restricted spousal at her full retirement age (I will have already claimed mine), and letting her own grow and taking it at 70.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm not sure how they can make a whole book out of this subject. There is one review on Amazon's site (favorable) and this pretty much sums up the contents of the book:

The excerpt from the back cover blurb goes on about how few Americans can actually afford to wait till age 70, which is preaching to the choir here. The book probably is useful for special situations such as benefits for dependent children, disability, etc. but a review of the many threads here would probably serve the needs of most of us.
I am familiar with the file and suspend strategy but we are just over 10 years apart in age, will I be able to still take advantage of this?
Thanks
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

well she has to be at least 62 and then you can file and suspend but it would be silly since you will be 72 and have gotten no benefit from waiting and not filling at 70
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well she has to be at least 62 and then you can file and suspend but it would be silly since you will be 72 and have gotten no benefit from waiting and not filling at 70
Kind of what I thought but I never confirmed it, thank you very much! I believe with our age difference there are no strategies available to use regarding the two of us.

There are still are basic strategies for either one of us as an individual. Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post

I would not have guessed the optimum strategy:

DW files for benefits in Dec. of the year she turns 64.
I file for spousal benefits in that same Dec. after reaching FRA.
I file for my benefits the month I turn 70.
DW files for spousal benefits the same month.
Typical ages are when claimant or spouse turn 62, FRA or 70. I find the strategies which involve claiming at atypical ages can be driven by the assumptions about life expectancies. Did the recommendation assume conservative life expectancy numbers (e.g., 100/100) or did it employ some actuarial based methodology.
MildlyEccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
Kind of what I thought but I never confirmed it, thank you very much! I believe with our age difference there are no strategies available to use regarding the two

That's the conclusion I am coming to also. DH is 11 years older than me, and I can't figure out any "file and suspend" strategy that works with an age difference that large. To make it more confusing for us, DH is affected by WEP/ GPO. does any of the software being discussed account for the WEP/GPO ?
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
That's the conclusion I am coming to also. DH is 11 years older than me, and I can't figure out any "file and suspend" strategy that works with an age difference that large. To make it more confusing for us, DH is affected by WEP/ GPO. does any of the software being discussed account for the WEP/GPO ?
I haven't found anything that works with the 10 year gap, I am not saying there isn't something out there but I have looked quite a bit......
Old 03-27-2015, 07:18 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
Curious to know if the pay software suggests a different optimum claiming strategy than the one at bedrockcapital.com
I stumbled upon the bedrockcapital calculator yesterday. If anyone has done comparisons or used the calculator, I'd be interested in what you found.

For us it chose the restricted application option as recommended solution.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:40 AM   #72

A little off topic, but since we have a good number of SS educated folks following this, I have SS question. I am subject to a small nip in benefits because of the pension windfall thing. Does the annual statement of benefits that you receive or the calculator from the SS.gov site include these reductions or are they arrived at at the time you file for benefits? I've assumed they are already baked in. Not a big deal but it would make a difference.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I stumbled upon the bedrockcapital calculator yesterday. If anyone has done comparisons or used the calculator, I'd be interested in what you found.

For us it chose the restricted application option as recommended solution.
I just ran it this morning. It confirmed our plan to have DW file for her own benefits at her FRA, to have me (the higher earner but about a year younger) file and suspend at my FRA and for DW to apply for spousal benefits at my FRA and then for me to begin collecting benefits at age 70.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
A little off topic, but since we have a good number of SS educated folks following this, I have SS question. I am subject to a small nip in benefits because of the pension windfall thing. Does the annual statement of benefits that you receive or the calculator from the SS.gov site include these reductions or are they arrived at at the time you file for benefits? I've assumed they are already baked in. Not a big deal but it would make a difference.
Your annual statement should have a section like this:
http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/SSA-7005-OL.pdf
Quote:
We can’t provide your actual benefit amount until you
apply for benefits. And that amount may differ from the
estimates stated above because:
(1) Your earnings may increase or decrease in the future.
(2) After you start receiving benefits, they will be adjusted
for cost-of-living increases.
(3) Your estimated benefits are based on current law. The
law governing benefit amounts may change.
(4) Your benefit amount may be affected by military
service, railroad employment or pensions earned
through work on which you did not pay Social
Security tax. Visit www.socialsecurity.gov to
learn more.
Number (4) says that the effect of WEP is calculated at the time of your application for benefits.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #75

Thanks Tadpole. It's sort of a complicated case and I've not found any definitive answers, and am reluctant to raise it with SS. I worked for one local government for 15 years; paid into pension plan and SS was not withheld. When left, pulled all my contributions out (with no interest paid, thanks). Worked several jobs then found myself back in public sector once again, for 15 years. This last one we had SS (woohoo, got my credits). It also allowed me to buy up to 10 years time if had worked in other government service for which I would receive no benefit. That would be me, since I had no benefit from government 1 (where no SS was taken). So I bought 10 years with after tax dollars, allowing me to bail with 25 years at 60.

So it's sort of a mystery to me if the pension of government 2, in which I paid 15 years of SS, yet is paying out based on 25 years service (10 of which was not SS elsewhere) would click the radar for the penalty. Guess I'll just have to wait a few more years and find out.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote