Join Early Retirement Today

New book about SS: "Get What's Yours"
Old 02-17-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

New book about SS: "Get What's Yours"

Heard about this on NPR this morning:

Mod note - new link http://books.simonandschuster.com/Ge.../9781476772295
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have to admit that I am wary of clicking on links if I don't know what they are. This looks like it might be a shortened form of a link to something on Amazon. A brief description of what it is would be helpful please. Perhaps a line or two letting us know what you thought of it?

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yep, blind links are suspicious, especially using an unfamiliar format. Try this one:

Get What's Yours: The Secrets to Maxing Out Your Social Security by Laurence J. Kotlikoff (Author), Philip Moeller (Author), Paul Solman (Author)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's an Amazon link to the book mentioned in OP's title. A review of the book would be nice.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I have to admit that I am wary of clicking on links if I don't know what they are. This looks like it might be a shortened form of a link to something on Amazon. A brief description of what it is would be helpful please. Perhaps a line or two letting us know what you thought of it?
Amazon.com: Get What's Yours: The Secrets to Maxing Out Your Social Security (9781476772295): Laurence J. Kotlikoff, Philip Moeller, Paul Solman: Books

That appears safer. Gets to the same page.

Here is the author bio:

Laurence J. Kotlikoff | Laurence Kotlikoff

If you hover over the link, and check the status bar, I think you'll be ok with these links.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure how they can make a whole book out of this subject. There is one review on Amazon's site (favorable) and this pretty much sums up the contents of the book:

Quote:
The most important tip is to wait until 70 before taking benefits. The next most important tip is to register at 66, but at the same time suspend benefits until 70. This not only allows your rate to grow 8% a year for four years, but it also allows your spouse to claim spousal benefits (half of yours) until s/he reaches 66 and can claim benefits. There are a lot of ifs ands and buts, so the book becomes a tremendous resource. The answers are clear and cogent.

The excerpt from the back cover blurb goes on about how few Americans can actually afford to wait till age 70, which is preaching to the choir here. The book probably is useful for special situations such as benefits for dependent children, disability, etc. but a review of the many threads here would probably serve the needs of most of us.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

Thank you everyone. REW - I'm getting "Page not found" from your link, but target2019's worked.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you everyone. REW - I'm getting "Page not found" from your link, but target2019's worked.
The link worked for me - and it may be because I am logged in.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Is recommending books with affiliate referral links permitted on this forum?
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Especially from a poster with only 3 posts....spooky.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #11

I'm 6'6" and weigh 260lbs. With my size and family history, I will be lucky to see 80. I'm taking ss @ 62. BTW, I won't/don't need the money so it is sort of irrelevant. DW is six yrs younger and should live until 90. She will wait until 70 to take her's.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Especially from a poster with only 3 posts....spooky.
Yes, that too. Sorry dadu007 - we're a bunch of conservative types around here. It's how we got to ER

Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu007 View Post
Heard about this on NPR this morning:

mod edit - new lionk http://books.simonandschuster.com/Ge.../9781476772295
I clicked another link in this thread and that does look like a very helpful source for people deciding when to claim and why. Thanks for leading us to it (I hope you realize no one is quibbling about the book, just pointing out that a brief description of a link's target and why you think we might want to read it is important for many/most of us before we click on the link).

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #14
Administrator

Mod note - The link in the OP was replaced with a direct link to the publisher and book title.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm not sure how they can make a whole book out of this subject. There is one review on Amazon's site (favorable) and this pretty much sums up the contents of the book:

The excerpt from the back cover blurb goes on about how few Americans can actually afford to wait till age 70, which is preaching to the choir here. The book probably is useful for special situations such as benefits for dependent children, disability, etc. but a review of the many threads here would probably serve the needs of most of us.
It's funny that the user review says the most important thing is to wait until 70 while the back cover copy says few Americans can afford to wait until 70.

The book's pub date is today--probably more reviews will be posted soon.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, sorry folks. I understand your concerns. I'm a legit person, though, who just hasn't had time to introduce myself. Soon!
I just wanted to post the link to the book to start a discussion. I'm not retired yet don't have much free time. I have nothing to do with Amazon sales. I just shortened the link using bitly so it didn't look so unwieldly.
Honestly, just heard on the story on NPR on the way to work and wanted to post before I forgot!.
Thx, and I'll be more thorough next time!
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, that too. Sorry dadu007 - we're a bunch of conservative types around here. It's how we got to ER
Agreed. Poor guy just wants to put out some info. All he gets is, Suspicious link, hey, how bout reviewing the book first, against forum rules, you're new and can't be trusted.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the tip - I had about $10 in unused Amazon credits, and the Kindle version of this book fits perfectly. Plus, I'm deep into my retirement planning strategies, and the information will likely plug a hole in my knowledge.

T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
It's an Amazon link to the book mentioned in OP's title. A review of the book would be nice.
You could take a huge risk and go to the Amazon site and read the one there. Alternatively, double clap and a Genii may appear and recite one to you.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
Agreed. Poor guy just wants to put out some info. All he gets is, Suspicious link, hey, how bout reviewing the book first, against forum rules, you're new and can't be trusted.
I think most of us understand that and can sympathize.

However I also think most of us (here and outside of this forum) have been bitten by clicking on something and then having weeks of mess to clean up as a result. "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"