Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As a "car guy", I've had over 100 new cars. Fortunately, most were owned by the auto manufacturer--my employer.

Throughout the years, emissions and safety regulations have made autos and trucks to get increasingly complicated. They now have sensors and electronic modules all over them that communicate with each other through CAN/BUS which is essentially computer wiring.

Have a problem like mud on a ABS wheel sensor, and it will affect your engine control module, ABS (brake) module, transmission control module, stability control module, dash module, cruise control module and possibly more. Check lights will flash, and sometimes the engines will kick off in a fail safe mode. While it seems so serious, often the fix is to pop out the wheel sensor and wash it with a toothbrush and dishwashing liquid.

I have a Jaguar convertible that's been running me crazy for years with electronic problems. And I still long for the good "ole" days when automobiles were not so complicated as they are today.

We also have a Lexus (my 4th) that has 105K miles and has never seen the dealer for any reason--or ever been in the shop except for brakes and tires.

If you're going to be in the market for a full size automobile like the Lincoln or Cadillac, I would suggest you look at a Lexus GS. It's a car that has components that simply work as designed and they're bulletproof mechanically. The Lexus brand continues to lead the market in customer satisfaction, and they simply hold their resale value at the top of the market. Lastly, the Lexus dealers are a class of their own in quality--sales, parts and service.

The Lincoln and Cadillac are fine cars, but they're just not the best choice for a long term value in transportation. And I've had many Lincolns over the years.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

FWIW I think only the F150 is aluminum, all others are still steel. YMMV.
3800Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Bamaman knows of what he speaks, speaking from my similar experience...
l8_apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Let me say just one more thing. There are many cars out there that I'd lease--and not buy. Lincolns, Cadillacs and Buicks are part of that bunch. I'd also lease any hybrid before buying one.

I just don't want to bet my pocketbook on future depreciation and the mechanics of these very complicated animals.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

we have 2015 mkz, with most of the bells and whistles. massage seats, a/c and heated seats, adaptive cruise, thx sound. cooling seats are great, especially after work-out.
dw loves it, i love the adaptive cruise (our 1st car with it - set speed and distance to other cars and system adjusts speed as other cars in front slow to maintain distance, even brakes - still scary, but starting to get use to it).
ride is pretty smooth but i live in florida and roads suck here. i would like the old lincoln continental type ride (floating on air), but never found it, this was closest that we tried, but not that floating ride (do not think they make that kind of ride anymore
Old 06-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I hope that I am not hi-jacking this thread, but how about a Toyota Highlander? I do not have one but am thinking of purchasing one as trip car.

Does anybody have thoughts on the Highlander?
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
Purchased a 2014 Highlander for DW last year. She really likes it.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone's wants bounce around like mine? I currently have a 2001 s-10. I dig the new Tacomas, but then I have times I want a BMW M4! I guess that means I should stick with what I have or I'll end up with buyer's remorse.
Good luck with your decision! New cars are always exciting....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm looking at a Tesla Model S or X 90D for road trips. Waiting for a fancier Autopilot version. DW has a Model 3 reserved.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Does anyone's wants bounce around like mine? I currently have a 2001 s-10. I dig the new Tacomas, but then I have times I want a BMW M4! I guess that means I should stick with what I have or I'll end up with buyer's remorse.
Good luck with your decision! New cars are always exciting....

You can have more than one!

Old 06-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
You can have more than one!

Touché! :-)

Old 06-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You better start getting you money together. Such a truck will be pushing $70K. The King Ranch option by itself is really, really expensive.

I'm keeping my old F250 Lariat diesel. It's expected to wear out about my age 95.
I will be purchasing through the fleet dept, so I get invoice prices. It will be all of $70K though. A tax deduction as I will have the business buy it. Buying a truck may allow a large Roth conversion too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3800Fiero View Post
FWIW I think only the F150 is aluminum, all others are still steel. YMMV.
Yes, in 2017 the super duty's (250/350/450) will be aluminum bodies. Much larger towing capacity, better truck.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/2017/
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:24 AM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

To the OP, I don't own either of the vehicles you were asking about, but DW and I just bought a BMW X3 and love it. The X5 is larger and might fit your desire for a large vehicle.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #34

Lexus has a good reputation but I just can't get past their front end design. I know it is subjective and other folks may like it but I think it is the worst looking car on the road. As much as I buy any product based on value and durability this stops me cold.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
I am probably going to go the mid-size route with a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Because I only need the truck for minimal towing and dump/home depot runs I do not need a big truck. Plus the in-bed speakers are cool!
Same here! I also like the better ride & handling. I'm comfortable with my manhood (as a previous Miata owner)!
Old 06-24-2016, 05:34 AM   #36

Someone mentioned the "floaty" ride of the older luxury cars. I miss that as well. The older Continentals and Caddys had it. We have an SRX and the ride is nice but not the floating down the road thing. they were great for long road trips.............
Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
I am probably going to go the mid-size route with a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Because I only need the truck for minimal towing and dump/home depot runs I do not need a big truck. Plus the in-bed speakers are cool! ....
I was planning to wait for the Ridgeline but my 2005 Colorado's rusted frame forced me to trade before the end of June. The local Honda dealers don't expect to receive many new Ridgelines in 2016 and I suspect that it will be hard to get a great deal on them. Since I needed to act fast, I ended up ordering a GMC Canyon and took delivery last week. I love it so far... took a nice long road trip with my golf buddies yesterday and it is really nice and smooth on the highway.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I went bats*it crazy and bought a Tesla Model X (about 100k) after my last car (2005 entry level Honda civic).

DW and I were milking an XC90 but went all the way I guess.

After 3 weeks I can say it's the best "thing" I've ever owned. Even the doors are working :0.

Seriously though. Putting kids in is WAY easier and self driving in traffic easily cuts stress a ton. Decent storage space and drives like a sports car... or as close as a crossover can.

I see the whole electric power thing as a nice bonus but not the main reason.

Look forward to driving it all the time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
I hope that I am not hi-jacking this thread, but how about a Toyota Highlander? I do not have one but am thinking of purchasing one as trip car.

I have a 2012, it has been great.
Plenty of room (I fit in it)
Goes great in the snow with the AWD, plenty of power, get up and go with the V-6. Gas mileage could be better, but I guess they have a hybrid for that....

I wouldn't hesitate to get an updated model when this one gives up the ghost in 12 or so more years....I guess it will be self driving by then.

We got the 2016 Toyota 4Runner for DW, she likes to sit higher in vehicles instead of feeling like she is riding close to the ground. It replaced a 2002 Sequoia. She loves it.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I was planning to wait for the Ridgeline but my 2005 Colorado's rusted frame forced me to trade before the end of June. The local Honda dealers don't expect to receive many new Ridgelines in 2016 and I suspect that it will be hard to get a great deal on them. Since I needed to act fast, I ended up ordering a GMC Canyon and took delivery last week. I love it so far... took a nice long road trip with my golf buddies yesterday and it is really nice and smooth on the highway.
Crew cab or extended? V6?

I like these but my old S10 is probably better for hauling mulch, stone and yard debris.