New Car? Closeout or Current Model Year

It's possible your dealership sold you a car that had been previously titled or put into service. Call up another Toyota dealership and ask what the warranty is.

Yeah, I wondered if there was something strange going on with the dealer after reading some posts in this thread. So I called up a separate dealer and they confirmed what the first dealer (the one I purchased it from) told me. Very weird.

Oh and sorry to the TS for the hijack.

Sorry dude, I thought I was giving you some good news, not engaging in a 'pissing contest'.

The quote in my post above is from the toyota web site, frequently asked questions, warranty, 'what warranty coverage do I have on my new toyota'. See below.

Dont take my word for it, call the corporate 800# I listed and verify it with them. Or you can probably register as an owner on their web site if you have the VIN, and they probably will show you the in-service warranty start and end dates.

If the in-service warranty start date is different from the date you bought, then they sold you a car that had been previously sold new and returned. This can be pretty common with "rollbacks", or a car that was sold and the customer then didnt didnt qualify for financing or their check bounced. The vehicle will only have a few miles on it, and is supposed to be sold as used, but the salesman may not be completely up front on that and just slip a piece of paper into that stack of 30 documents you have to sign, which has a check box on the back in the middle of 10,000 words of fine print that says "this car has been previously sold".

Attachments

• toyota warranty.JPG
    toyota warranty.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 14
OK, once and for all here's how to handle this. Go to any Certified Toyota dealership in the country, drive into the service dept. and ask them to pull your VIN and give you the in service date and mileage (also ask them if they will print this off for you to keep in your glove box{why haven't they changed that name? Does anyone keep gloves in them?}). Then check the odometer slip your dealership should have given you the day you bought you car. If they don't match up then take this info to your dealership. I would be shocked....SHOCKED....to learn that Toyota starts the service date based on a calendar year. If so, then people are getting screwed over nationwide.

I found what CFB copied, on the Toyota website. It wasn't all that easy to find, IMO. Go to

Toyota Help Faq

and then look under "What warranty coverage do I have on my new Toyota?".

Still unclear....

Components other than normal wear and maintenance items are covered for 3 years/36,000 miles from the date of first use.

Whose first use? Yours or the dealerships?

Still unclear....

Components other than normal wear and maintenance items are covered for 3 years/36,000 miles from the date of first use.

Yours, unless you bought a used car. Otherwise, your car is new, not used.

I took the trouble of calling Toyota.

First use is considered the day you drive the car off the lot after purchasing it, aka "the delivery date".

They dont say "purchase date" because some owners dont take ownership of the vehicle on the purchase date.

So all the toyota owners can wipe the sweat from your brow and stop worrying. Your new car warranty works exactly the same as every other new car warranty sold in america.

I took the trouble of calling Toyota.

First use is considered the day you drive the car off the lot after purchasing it, aka "the delivery date".

They dont say "purchase date" because some owners dont take ownership of the vehicle on the purchase date.

So all the toyota owners can wipe the sweat from your brow and stop worrying. Your new car warranty works exactly the same as every other new car warranty sold in america.

Except for the guy on this board.:eek:

If they're anxious to sell the 2008 models, you might be able to negotiate getting the pre-certified warranty, which should be much longer than the original warranty.

Well, I bought a 4Runner and was told that. I just called Gatorland Toyota in Gainesville, Florida less than thirty minutes ago and was told the same thing. Call your local Toyota and check it out. Maybe they've changed their policy since you last purchased? I don't know. And this is not one Toyota either. I actually bought my 4Runner at the Jacksonville location and was told the same thing. I dunno why I was told the same thing by two different dealers if it is not true...

That's simply not true. Looks like you talked to two morons at two different dealers...........:p The "in-service" date is when the warranty starts. The dealer has to punch that in on a computer so the manufacturer knows the date the warranty starts. If you buy a demo, or service loaner, it's possible that some warranty has been used.

IF the vehicle has NOT been put in service, the warranty clock has not started...........;)

Gatorbuzz, here is what I hope will be a helpful piece of advice.

Never believe anything a car salesperson, sales manager, or any dealer representative tells you. (of course I don't mean you 73SS454)

Still unclear....

My Acura came with a card which had the day I drove out the door and the start of the warranty period... not from the first of the year...

Sorry dude, I thought I was giving you some good news, not engaging in a 'pissing contest'.

No need to be defensive, dude. I was prefacing my post with the pissing contest remark so that my remarks were not misconstrued as being antagonistic or seemingly piss-contest-ish. I wasn't accusing you of starting or even engaging in a pissing contest.

At any rate, you guys are right. I am wrong. I called four more Toyota dealerships in Florida. Here is the run down of what I got:

Tampa: Date of purchase was the answer. I asked are you sure. The response was "absolutely."

Gainesville: I called again and got a different guy. Get this: The response was "Date of purchase for the miles portion but calendar year for the years portion." I said, "So the warranty clocks starts on January 1st?" The response was "yes."

Orlando: Date of purchase. "Are you sure?" "No, I'm not sure that that is correct, but I think it is."

Sarasota: Salesman did not know the answer. Put me on hold and came back and said he'd asked the sales manager and he said "date of purchase."

Suffice to say I think many of the salesmen don't know the truth. I should've known better.

I apologize for the mix up.

Never believe anything a car salesperson, sales manager, or any dealer representative tells you. (of course I don't mean you 73SS454)

Don't forget not to trust, annuity salespeople, stock brokers, other people in the financial industry. I didn't mean you Saluki.

Always get it in writing. Also, if you are the type of person that likes to get an extended warranty or prepaid maintenance program. Never blindly take the offer from your dealer. There are places on the web that will offer large discounts on Toyota plans. It does not matter where you buy the car, your local dealer will honor it just the same.

.......(also ask them if they will print this off for you to keep in your glove box{why haven't they changed that name? Does anyone keep gloves in them?}).
For the 1st time in all of my driving years, I actually DO keep a pair of gloves in the glovebox! I amaze myself! :crazy:

Never believe anything a car salesperson, sales manager, or any dealer representative tells you.
If most car salesman/dealers/whatever are like the ones here in my town, Saluki is absolutely right! The bunch of [-]swine[/-] car sellers around here have lied through their teeth for so long, they wouldn't know the truth if it was a sharp stick and they sat on it....they'd swear on their one-eyed, hunchback, crippled mother's grave that they were sitting on a plush cushion! :D

No need to be defensive, dude. I was prefacing my post with the pissing contest remark so that my remarks were not misconstrued as being antagonistic or seemingly piss-contest-ish. I wasn't accusing you of starting or even engaging in a pissing contest.

Then at this point I'd like to start a pissing contest with you regarding my level of defensiveness!

;)

For the 1st time in all of my driving years, I actually DO keep a pair of gloves in the glovebox! I amaze myself! :crazy:

If most car salesman/dealers/whatever are like the ones here in my town, Saluki is absolutely right! The bunch of [-]swine[/-] car sellers around here have lied through their teeth for so long, they wouldn't know the truth if it was a sharp stick and they sat on it....they'd swear on their one-eyed, hunchback, crippled mother's grave that they were sitting on a plush cushion! :D

After 35 years in the car biz, I've decided you guys are right. Customers never lie or jerk the salespeople around.

Then at this point I'd like to start a pissing contest with you regarding my level of defensiveness!

;)

:D

No thanks! At this point I believe it's wise for me to exit stage, errrr thread, left. I've mucked this thread up enough as it is.

If you were buying a new car, would you purchase an end of year close out [2008] or a 2009 model.

I am thinking buying a Toyota Corolla. The price of each of the CE model is as follows:
09=$15,350
08=$14,405
07=$12,851
06=$11,293

The 2009 is completely redesigned. It is a bit larger inside and out. Looking at the price tags, I would choose the 06 or 07 model.

Back
Top Bottom