Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Small dogs dehydrate fast so I would call the vet.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had dogs my whole life. They are remarkably resilient. They need love and attention. My dogs have always been over 60 lbs. Friends of ours, over the years, had dogs where they'd leave food out all day. When the dog is ready to eat, he/she eats. Yours has had some trauma and it's always good to get a vets opinion.

I have so many dog experiences but every dog is unique. Your little guy might be confused, might be mourning the loss of his first owner. He's so young.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Small dogs are very different than large dogs. It can be dangerous to wait.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #24

I think I need a new vet. He says to put him in a crate for the next week so that the sutures heal and eventually he'll eat. I don't think it's fair to put him in jail. It's not his fault.

Last night the boys band apparently crashed in my livingroom. there was a plate of dried up pasta and one meatball in the fridge. So heated up the meatball and put it on Coda's food. He not only ate the meatball but also a cup of kibble and then had a cup of water. So I think what I need to do is make meatballs. Apparently he liked it. If thats what it takes to get him to eat, even though it may be setting up a lifetime pattern of him having something every night, it's what I'm going to deal with.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The crate can be a good idea. Our one dog often goes to her crate for a nap. If the dog was crated before, often for housebreaking, and is comfortable it's a great idea.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
I think I need a new vet. He says to put him in a crate for the next week so that the sutures heal and eventually he'll eat. I don't think it's fair to put him in jail. It's not his fault.
I don't like crates, only used them, in 50+ years of dog ownership, for medical necessity. The crate in this case prevents him from rupturing those sutures. He'll be much worse off if those stitches break. Sometimes dogs think of their crates as safe places. It's really the dogs personality that counts. Just train him with love and soft spoken words, repetitive reinforcement only positive. He will be your BFF for a very long time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #27

Maybe different if he was used to it but he was only crated when cargo on Delta (Boston - SFO 3 weeks ago)

Stupid Delta, should've gone United
Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If you keep the cone on he doesn’t need a crate
Old 02-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #29

Thanks. Monitoring stitches (22 yrs as Ombudsman in acute care facility AKA: Hospital) and they're fine. Actually exterior liquid ones clean / almost healed, no internal stitch issues.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Hope the little guy bounces back quickly. How about a picture for us?
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
Hope the little guy bounces back quickly. How about a picture for us?
He looks like a skinny rag doll20190204_180140.jpeg
Old 02-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

OMG how adorable!!! And he looks lively, I'm sure he is going to be fine!!
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #33

I agree with others. He is in a new place, had surgery (so probably in some pain) and probably just doesn't have much of an appetite right now. Give him a few days and he will probably start eating again. If more than 3 days though, I'd take him to the vet or at least call the vet.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #34

the cone of shame...aaahhh

we just discovered flexible cones. Much much better than the hard plastic ones. This is the one we borrowed from a friend

https://www.chewy.com/comfy-cone-e-c...SABEgK84vD_BwE
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

He’s adorable!

And yeah, I’d find a new vet. No reason to make this poor dog stay in a crate for a week, especially if he isn’t crate-trained. My pup is crate-trained and LOVES her crate.....but she didn’t spend a week in it after being spayed. [emoji15]. That’s ridiculous.....

If you are going to “people food” route, you might think about giving him chicken, rice, mashed carrots vs meatballs. I believe it’s a lot healthier for him and easier on their stomach. Pretty easy to cook up a batch of rice, carrots, and a few chicken breasts to shred once a week.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #36

crates aren't punishment unless you scold the dog and shove him in there. Crates are a den, or a nest. If you cover the crate with blankets, it becomes a place of safety and security for a dog.

Dogs are not "people too"...dogs are dogs and have different emotional needs than people. The typical mistake most people make with dogs, especially small dogs, is giving them too much of what small children need (overt love and affection) and not enough of what dogs need, which is a pack leader who takes care of things like security, safety, food, and generally being in charge so they don't have to.

Dogs are like children in one important way: they are always learning. for example, if your dog climbs on the furniture and barks hysterically at the mailman, and you try to dissuade the dog from this behavior by cuddling him, cooing softly, giving him a treat, you are not dissuading him at all, in fact you are rewarding him for behavior you do not want. You are essentially teaching him that he'll get treats and affection for behaving this way.

If you want your dog to be a picky eater and eat only what you hand make him from the people food, then when he doesn't eat his food, by all means, make him a special meal.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Our small dogs are crated at night and do sleep in there sometimes during the day. I had a small dog not eat breakfast and when I got home from work she was in a coma from not eating. I rushed her to the vets and she barely survived. If I have one that won’t eat I do whatever is necessary. That vet visit cost 1k. Also they usually will eat without any added incentive. If our big dog misses a meal it’s no big deal.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #38

Update: took cone off this morning. External suture line healed (yes I know how to check on humans assuming dogs are similar) and eating 1c kibble + 1" meatball a day. Hoping his up to 1.25c by end of weekend. Still not letting him play ball no matter how many times he drops it in my lap or go to dog park until Monday. Resuming light walks
Old 02-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to hear the pup is doing better, he looks like my dog. My dog got accidentally scratched by another dog last week, relatively minor, but he had to wear a cone too. But his behavior change was much more dramatic than I anticipated, either from the cone, injury or both. I'm not surprised yours acted the same too.
fasteddie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenuff View Post
dogs are not "people too"...dogs are dogs and have different emotional needs than people. The typical mistake most people make with dogs, especially small dogs, is giving them too much of what small children need (overt love and affection) and not enough of what dogs need, which is a pack leader who takes care of things like security, safety, food, and generally being in charge so they don't have to
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenuff View Post
if you want your dog to be a picky eater and eat only what you hand make him from the people food, then when he doesn't eat his food, by all means, make him a special meal.
+2
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote