Join Early Retirement Today

New Fidelity Calulator
Old 11-28-2023, 11:28 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

New Fidelity Calulator

An interesting Fidelity calculator, new to me at least in that I had not seen it before. Enter retirement savings, ss, and pensions, age to take WD, and life span. Play with portfolio allocation and life span.

https://digital.fidelity.com/stgw/di...me-calculator/
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a less comprehensive version of their regular retirement calculator with perhaps easier to change what if scenarios.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:39 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Without including SS, it came up with a 3.2% WR, based on a retirement age of 58 and an assumed lifespan of 100 years.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:02 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks like tool to be used by a annuity salesman.

I plugged in my wife's data assuming I'm out of the picture. She can W/D 3.7% for next 35 years.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

It give very limited view, as I plug age of FIRE 56 and SS for 2 of us assuming that we file at 67, it gives flat number for the whole period till 100with ~3.4% WD rate. Not very useful as it would be better to see flat total income with larger withdrawals from 56 to 67 and smaller after that because of SS start.
Exit 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Looks like tool to be used by a annuity salesman.
Exactly. This is apparently based entirely on guaranteed income: SS, pensions, savings and annuities. No market involvement.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:52 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Exactly. This is apparently based entirely on guaranteed income: SS, pensions, savings and annuities. No market involvement.
There is an asset allocation slide at the bottom.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:22 PM   #8

It presented limited flexibility for couples who are in different stages of life. DH is 71 and collecting SS. I'm 62 and don't plan to collect till 70 (subject to real time change in plans.). We have rental income. Our savings/investments are treated as joint from a withdrawal POV, but some are titled individually (IRA/inherited money).

But - if I put in 0 for SS to remove that factor/limitation, then put in our rental income for a pension (which is what I do in firecalc),and my (younger) age... I saw a withdrawal rate similar to what we're currently taking.

Not planning on an annuity - but that (like when to take SS) is subject to change in the future if interest rates make a SPIA make sense.

I also noted if you slide the annuity bar - it does NOT adjust your retirement savings down by the same amount... So a lot of people might misinterpret the results.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:05 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems biased in outcomes favoring annuities and balanced portfolio.

It calculates 100% all annuities beating investments in earning rates.

Objectively, higher equity rates would deliver more earnings (but more volatility) - but it does not reflect that either.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire48in2018 View Post
Seems biased in outcomes favoring annuities and balanced portfolio.

It calculates 100% all annuities beating investments in earning rates.

Objectively, higher equity rates would deliver more earnings (but more volatility) - but it does not reflect that either.
Based upon gender neutral annuities (typically males get better rates); and one life only.