Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Piper View Post
Thank you for the feedback, everybody.

As noted above, you can use your own discount rate by checking the "advanced" box.

With regard to life expectancies, the calculator does not assume a given age at death. Rather, it uses year-by-year mortality rates to calculate the user's probability of being alive in each given future year, then probability-weights the benefit for that year. And as noted above you can choose a different mortality table if you prefer to do so.
So the present value is really an expected present value? IOW, for each year calculate the assumed benefit amount times the probability of life/(1+i)^n and then sum them up?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Not to seen paranoid, but I wonder sometimes if a "side" purpose of these free tools is to collect data, even though it may not be personally identifiable, to leverage in other ways.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Thanks, Mike. Your tool is a great start!

I do feel that having to select a mortality table is a deficiency in the tool. It's nice to use a table when you want to analyze a large population. But there are many individual factors that make such a table less appropriate for a single user or a couple. It's clear that income level is correlated with longevity. And it's clear that some medical conditions are negatively correlated with longevity.

Allowing the user to enter expected longevity for the user and the spouse would make the tool more powerful and would allow the exploration of more possibilities.

Anyway, thanks for deciding to release the tool!
Yeah just to be safe I said I was a smoker when I am not. I wish you could guess your death year on this. Males in my family do not live a long time.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A couple of years earlier than I expected - recommended age 68 for both of us instead of 70.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

Here are links to another couple of good retirement calcs I have used

The Flexible Retirement Planner | A financial planning tool powered by Monte Carlo Simulation

https://financialmentor.com/calculat...ent-calculator
sjwil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Not to seen paranoid, but I wonder sometimes if a "side" purpose of these free tools is to collect data, even though it may not be personally identifiable, to leverage in other ways.
Often they are for that purpose.

We would like you to re-enter your values but use your correct birthday this time
Old 06-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

One thing it doesn't seem to take into account is those who fall into that 'crease' in the system that lets them collect on a spouse's SS account while our personal benefit continues to increase until age 70.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Some more details on this calculator and some updates:

https://obliviousinvestor.com/long-w...ivor-benefits/

Quote:
Today I just wanted to give you a quick heads-up about some updates to the Open Social Security calculator, as well as address a question many people have asked about it. I promise we’ll discuss something other than Social Security next time.
  • The calculator now reflects withholding (and eventual benefit adjustment) for the earnings test (i.e., for people receiving benefits and working while under full retirement age).
  • The default mortality table has been updated for the newly-released 2015 SSA period table. (It previously used the 2014 table, as that was the newest available until this month.)
  • The calculator now allows for the selection of a specific “I will die at” age rather than using a mortality table.
  • The calculator now allows for situations in which one of two spouses has already filed, in order to get a suggestion for the other spouse. (Important caveat: It does not currently have “voluntary suspension” functionality, so if the ideal solution is for the spouse who has already filed to suspend benefits at/after full retirement age, the calculator won’t know to suggest that.)
  • Now, when you load the page, the calculator automatically looks up the yield on 20-year TIPS to use as the default discount rate.
In the last two weeks, a common question about the calculator has been why it uses mortality tables (to calculate a probability of being alive in each given year) rather than simply assuming the user will die precisely at their life expectancy. The answer has to do with survivor benefits for married couples. ....

Old 06-20-2019, 03:19 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Piper View Post
Thank you for the feedback, everybody.
Printout is badly formatted. Cuts off the last digit in the tabular data; the table is not sized to the margins. Also it uses many more pages than actually necessary due to white space between lines & font issues.. Would prefer a non-PDF way of saving it, so I can format it to suit myself. Generally HTML sucks...

Would be nice to automatically calculate the total benefits from filing at earliest, FRA, and age 70 so you can compare them to the optimized values. It would take me some time to even figure out the correct month & year for that, to utilize the "test alternative claiming strategy" function

Maybe also show the four items as a line graph over time.

Oh, and a way to turn this into one's after-tax value of SS is necessary. Maybe some input for what the user thinks his taxable portion of SS will be? Or hints at using the tabular values as inputs into other SWR calculators?
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:35 AM   #30
gone traveling

And this useful explanation isn't printing:
"A "discount rate" is necessary to reflect the fact that a dollar today is worth more than a dollar in the future, because a dollar today can be invested. The default here is the yield on 20-year TIPS. See this article for a discussion of why that is chosen as the default."
Old 06-20-2019, 04:08 AM   #31
gone traveling

Hmmm. I think it useful to know the percentage loss between the optimum & the other 3 filing dates. Then you can compare that to the percentage difference between various Discount Rates.

If the filing date difference is about the same as the discount rate difference, then the filing date difference is not a high probability "fact" in predicting value since the discount rate is more unknown & may be the more "significant" force in actual value.

So I'd like to have it automatically calculate Discounts of 1,2,3,4% and all 4 filing dates & show the % differences in a table. If the difference between best & worst is "small enough" then it really doesn't matter much which filing date you use. So choose some other criteria for picking your filing date. Maybe pick later to minimize taxes on SS because other income is happening "early."
Old 06-20-2019, 04:54 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If you check the "Advanced" box near the top of the page then you'll see the discount rate assumption of 1% (0.01) under Other Inputs.

I philosophically disagree with using a TIPs rate since if I did take early I would stay with my current AA.... so I use 4%... a 6% investment return less 2% for inflation. Makes a big difference.

A first order analysis obviously says that if can earn a greater rate of return on money invested, then you should take SS earlier so that you have more unspent money to invest.

Except that that there is a Bad Sequence Of Returns risk. If you take SS early and the stock market tanks for the next 5 to 10 years, maybe you made a bad decision.

Perhaps a person who needs to spend their SS to live should use the 1% discount rate. A person does not can play with higher discount rates.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:24 AM   #33
gone traveling

I'm confused about the default date for Alternative Strategy. Its showing birth year + 70 = default year, but month 6 which is not my birth month. So its filing some months BEFORE I reach age 70.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:36 AM   #34
gone traveling

OP: I'm having trouble with this paragraph due to the double negatives embedded within:
>
https://obliviousinvestor.com/claimi...uld-we-assume/
For an unmarried male, the necessary rate of return that would make claiming Social Security at 62 as good as claiming at 70 is about 1.7% above inflation. For an unmarried female, the necessary return would be about 2.9% above inflation.*

If delaying Social Security provides such an expected return, with a low level of risk, it doesn’t usually make sense to forgo additional Social Security in order to continue owning bonds that have a lower expected return (or a similar expected return and a higher level of risk).
>
It parses to "If delaying Social Security provides 1.7% (male) or 2.9% (female)... it DOES make sense to TAKE EARLIER SS to continue owning bonds with a lower REAL expected return than 1.7% (male) or 2.9% (female)."
Old 06-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongleur View Post
A first order analysis obviously says that if can earn a greater rate of return on money invested, then you should take SS earlier so that you have more unspent money to invest.

Except that that there is a Bad Sequence Of Returns risk. If you take SS early and the stock market tanks for the next 5 to 10 years, maybe you made a bad decision.

Perhaps a person who needs to spend their SS to live should use the 1% discount rate. A person does not can play with higher discount rates.
On the first part, it is not necessarily correct that you should take SS earlier even with a higher opportunity cost of money... it also depends on mortality. Even though I use a 4% real rate of return opensocialsecurity.com still has an optimal solution of not taking SS right away.

I concede that by deferring I am taking some risk and there is a chance that it could not work out to my benefit, but I can afford to take the chance since it is more likely than not that it will work out to my benefit.

If someone needs their SS to live then there is no choice so there isn't really any need to go to the website.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Printout is badly formatted. Cuts off the last digit in the tabular data; the table is not sized to the margins. Also it uses many more pages than actually necessary due to white space between lines & font issues.. Would prefer a non-PDF way of saving it, so I can format it to suit myself. Generally HTML sucks...
Try Landscape.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm confused about the default date for Alternative Strategy. Its showing birth year + 70 = default year, but month 6 which is not my birth month. So its filing some months BEFORE I reach age 70.
So stop bitching and just change it.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #38
gone traveling

This calculator accounts for both spouses, which is somewhat unusual & useful.

But I'm seeing 3 scenarios for what you want to do with the SS money.
The type of people using this calculator don't "need it now, to live on," so the SS is a "bonus income" that can be utilized 3 ways:
1) longevity insurance - does this calculator show any instance where you should NOT wait until age 70 to claim? I guess you should always pick the default Discount Rate to match the risk?

2) spend it now as extra income -- seems that the calculator shows the optimum claiming ages to maximize this as "current" income. Are there reasons to choose other than the default Discount Rate? ie is the default the most conservative number?

3) take risk with it to increase wealth - so pick a Discount Rate for equity growth. BUT I think the calculator

3a) implicitly presumes you are saving it all, forever.
What if you are:

3b) spending just the dividend income, or

3c) spending some percentage of its total return.

EDIT 4) Maximize income for surviving spouse.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

What the calculator does is to determine for each year what you would receive in SS if you are living based on the information that you input... those cash flows are what you see in the output tables.

Then it multiplies the cash flow in the output tables by the probability of your being alive to receive the cash flow based on the mortality tables that you select (assuming that you don't chose the assumed age at death option)... this is what is called the expected value.

Then it discounts the expected values for the time value of money using discount rate that you provide and adds them up to get an expected present value... which it refers to as "present value".

Old 06-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mine was interesting. DH started benefits at age 62 last year, and I do not plan to do so until age 70. The plan said he should SUSPEND benefits at FRA and restart them again at 67 and 7 months. Kept me at age 70
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote