new milestone for us

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
Well, we just reached a new milestone. Total cash, stocks, and bonds crossed the $500K mark today (this does not include house equity). I looked back at my numbers, and I see that that this figure has grown by 100K since Aug '06, just 8 months! Ah, the power of LBYM, compounding, and a good market. Woo-hoo! :D

Congrats. One milestone for us was the first time that I realized that the gains in our portfolio (interest, dividends, and cap gains) exceeded what I put in for that year. Sure, we had the benefit of a good market at that time, but it was a sign that the portolio had taken off on it's own. But, the next year was a letdown and a reminder that results will vary--sometimes a lot.

Good job.

Congrats!!! the next 500 should be even easier.

LBYM has really paid off for you. Great job simple girl!

It's always such a great feeling reaching one of your milestones. Hope the next $100k accumulates as quickly.

Outtahere said:
Congrats!!! the next 500 should be even easier.
Kinda depends on how much of that was interest and how much
was deposits.
tj

Congrats!

These kinds of posts are always inspirational for us closer to the $100k mark...

simple girl said:
Well, we just reached a new milestone. Total cash, stocks, and bonds crossed the $500K mark today (this does not include house equity). I looked back at my numbers, and I see that that this figure has grown by 100K since Aug '06, just 8 months! Ah, the power of LBYM, compounding, and a good market. Woo-hoo! :D

I remember when still had wife's student loans so the milestone was a positive net worth.

Congratulations!

I save off my net worth statement every time something crosses any milestone -- when assets exceed a round number, when liabilities drop under a round number, when my net worth crosses a round number, when a large account crosses a round number...more times to celebrate!

2Cor521

hee hee hee--I know this doesn't compare much but our latest milestone was $25K in the house fund. Most of that was saved in about 4 months in a low-ish interest MM savings account (about 3% interest) so we're actually pretty darned proud of it.

OKLibrarian said:
hee hee hee--I know this doesn't compare much but our latest milestone was $25K in the house fund. Most of that was saved in about 4 months in a low-ish interest MM savings account (about 3% interest) so we're actually pretty darned proud of it.

Look into Treasury Direct or Vanguard MM funds - all over 5%

we're only about 3 months away from buying--trying to figure out how much additional interest we'd earn in that short a period of time. that said, the first thing we're doing after we close on the house is opening an account at vanguard for our ready cash as well as IRAs and taxable stuff. The only thing that makes me nervous about going for the MM fund instead of a MM savings account is the lack of FDIC--but how big a deal is that really?

Back
Top Bottom