Join Early Retirement Today

New old news from Texas for old ERs
Old 10-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

New old news from Texas for old ERs

I just learned from a friend about a Texas law that (sort of) exempts those 65 years of age and older from preoperty taxes. I did a bit of homework. The law was passed many years ago, but is little known among most folks.

From http://www.oag.state.tx.us/alerts/al...p?id=48&type=2 : "Texas Tax Code, Section 33.06, allows taxpayers 65 years of age or older to defer their property taxes until their estates are settled after death."

(Apparently many states allow something similar, although many have income and property value limits, which Texas does not have.)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New old news from Texas for old ERs
Old 10-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting perq. Do you know what is the interest rate on these deferals? Does it float, or change by legislative or administrative fiat?

Ha
Old 10-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Interesting perq. Do you know what is the interest rate on these deferals? Does it float, or change by legislative or administrative fiat?
"A tax lien remains on the property and interest continues to accrue during the period collection of taxes is deferred or abated under this section. The annual interest rate during the deferral or abatement period is eight percent..."

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinf...33a2.htm#33.06
Old 10-07-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Ha, you know that WA has something similar, right?

WA senior property tax deferrals
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Wab, I didn't see any discussion of interest on the deferred property taxes... did I miss that?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think details were in that blurb, but if you opt to have the state pay your property taxes, then "under this program the state paid amounts become a lien against the property in favor of the state and 8% annual interest is charged until paid."
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:

Ha
Well, at least your spouse won't care about the interest rate. The law cited by REW also shows that funds aren't collectible until 181 days after the surviving spouse dies. So perhaps only the kids care.

The guy who told me about this was helping a woman combine this with a reverse mortgage, so she'll not only stop paying the taxes, but will deplete the equity as well.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 10-08-2005, 06:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if it isn't a default on the reverse mortgage to defer the property taxes. The question might be whether the lien for defered taxes takes priority over the lien for the mortgage. If it does take priority, I'll bet the lender requires payment of taxes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #9
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I wonder if it isn't a default on the reverse mortgage to defer the property taxes.* The question might be whether the lien for defered taxes takes priority over the lien for the mortgage.* If it does take priority, I'll bet the lender requires payment of taxes.
Aha -- that explains why the part I left out shouldn't have been omitted. In this case, a portion of the deferred amount was being applied to a life insurance policy. I had assumed that was unrelated, just for the benefit of the heirs, but it makes sense that the lender would want those taxes covered, so it was likely a condition of the mortgage.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Ha, you know that WA has something similar, right?

WA senior property tax deferrals
Thanks for that link, Wab. My income is too high to qualify. It appears that an 8% intrest rate is used.

Ha
Old 10-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I wonder if it isn't a default on the reverse mortgage to defer the property taxes.* The question might be whether the lien for defered taxes takes priority over the lien for the mortgage.* If it does take priority, I'll bet the lender requires payment of taxes.
The Government ALWAYS gets paid first. I would assume that any reverse mortgage lender would require some form of additional collateral (life insurance?) or, more likely, prohibit property tax deferrals as a condition for the mortgage.

Does anyone know of any other states that allow this? It's a huge benefit for older retirees.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
The Government ALWAYS gets paid first.
Well, almost always. Generally, unpaid real estate taxes take priority over a mortgage. However, deferred taxes may be treated differently, like a loan. In that case, the taxes may be junior to prior mortgages. I believe this may be the case in Minnesota.

Quote:
I would assume that any reverse mortgage lender would require some form of additional collateral (life insurance?) or, more likely, prohibit property tax deferrals as a condition for the mortgage.

Does anyone know of any other states that allow this? It's a huge benefit for older retirees.
I think a lot of states have this program, including Minnesota: http://tinyurl.com/dmlmg

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote