Join Early Retirement Today

new slant on pay off mortgage question
Old 03-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

new slant on pay off mortgage question

I am currently building a new home and have been paying cash as I go. I received some advice to take a loan from my 401k and pay myself back at about 6%. Apparently this is a legal rate (max rate) and strategy – any one have experience?
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

We did this for our kitchen remodel. It was the right decision for us, but there are some caveats...
* Your loan payments include the interest you pay yourself, but unless you repurchase your shares at the same exact rate (which is almost impossible) your actual rate will vary. If the funds go up in price, you'll be earning less or losing money on the deal.
* If your employment is terminated by you or your employer, you must pay it back in full or any outstanding loan balance will be classified as a withdrawal and you'll be subject to income tax and penalties.
* Some plans allow for prepayment of the balance, and some do not. We wouldn't have done it if we couldn't pay it back as soon as construction was completed.
* In our plan some funds were excluded, so even if your plan allows loans you might currently be invested in funds that don't allow loans.
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my opinion, 401k loans are not loans at all. Your plan will sell assets to produce the funds for the "loan".

If you can designate the loan proceeds come from the fixed income portion of your 401k, it locks your cost of funds. Even if your plan does not let you designate which funds to sell, you can achieve same results by rebalancing. If your plan sells stocks that go up in value while you are paying back the loan, the "lost opportunity" adds cost to your loan. This could work in your favor if the stocks go down in value.

The interest rate is really meaningless except it does help make up for the time those funds are out of the plan.

I don't t
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
I am currently building a new home and have been paying cash as I go. I received some advice to take a loan from my 401k and pay myself back at about 6%. Apparently this is a legal rate (max rate) and strategy – any one have experience?
The interest rate is set by the plan administrator... there is no maximum... however, it is supposed to be market

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
We did this for our kitchen remodel. It was the right decision for us, but there are some caveats...
* Your loan payments include the interest you pay yourself, but unless you repurchase your shares at the same exact rate (which is almost impossible) your actual rate will vary. If the funds go up in price, you'll be earning less or losing money on the deal.
* If your employment is terminated by you or your employer, you must pay it back in full or any outstanding loan balance will be classified as a withdrawal and you'll be subject to income tax and penalties.
* Some plans allow for prepayment of the balance, and some do not. We wouldn't have done it if we couldn't pay it back as soon as construction was completed.
* In our plan some funds were excluded, so even if your plan allows loans you might currently be invested in funds that don't allow loans.

Not all plans require you to pay off a loan if you leave employment.... it is an option that the company chooses when setting up the plan... the plan that my company set up only requires that you pay it by the end of the year you leave...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks - our 401k adminstration is done privately but is in a fidelity account. It seems like if i had a 6% guaranteed investment i would do it so it seems to be a good decision.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
These 401K loans can be Extremely Expensive Money
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These 401K loans can be Extremely Expensive Money

Besides foregoing the growth of the loan assets, the fees, and possible other "hidden" penalties...

Check out this article:

7 Reasons Why Borrowing From Your 401k is Bad, Bad, Bad!

Quote:
4 – You pay double taxes
While the loan itself isn’t taxed, remember you are paying the loan from payroll taxed dollars. Down the road when you pull out of your 401k, you will again have to pay taxes on that as well, so essentially any money you pay against the loan is really double taxed.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #7

Just to clarify, this double taxation only applies to the interest paid on the loan (which is not tax deductible). Clearly, there's no double taxation of the principal.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

What loans can you repay with pre-tax dollars?
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
Yes. There are at least two downsides.

1) if you leave the company, you must pay the loan back immediately...OUCH.

2) There is an opportunity cost of not having the money in the account. If you do it and the market crashes, you look like a genius. If you do it and the market surges, you look like a dufus.

Good luck!

Tags
401k pay off mortgage