New Truck-negotiation- cash back incentive

The F150 is a very popular vehicle but not that great for towing and desirable but not too valuable as a work truck. It’d be interesting to see what the actual comps are. Pickup values are likely regional and a seller like Carvana can easily use that to their advantage.

I have a 2 month old F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost. The engine is surprisingly powerful with 0-60 mph in less than 6 seconds and the quarter mile in the mid 14 seconds. It drives and handles great--especially in comparison with my F250 diesel tow truck.

I towed my 24 foot boat with the F150 yesterday, and it had plenty of power. But like all 1/2 ton trucks, its now more car like--and is more for looks than carrying heavy weights in the bed.

With a $3K manufacturer coupon on top of a bunch of sales incentives--the price was really right. We're really enjoying the new truck, however.

jazz,

My 1/2 T Chevy tows my 7,000 pound boat quite well - sure, a 3/4 T with big diesel would tow more, but that is simply a scaling issue.

Euros drive small cars and tow trailers with them - not as fast as US ...

Sorry, don’t understand your comment.

The F150 is a very popular vehicle but not that great for towing and desirable but not too valuable as a work truck. It’d be interesting to see what the actual comps are. Pickup values are likely regional and a seller like Carvana can easily use that to their advantage.

People quite frequently overestimate what their vehicle is safely capable of towing. When I went looking, I spent time looking at the payload values (which unfortunately are not on the sticker and thus not viewable online).

My 2015 F150 supercab w/XLT and 302 option pakage and 3.5L Ecoboost has a payload rating over 2000#. (Of course, one needs to adjust that for any weight put in the truck, including tools, mats, bed liner, ...) The 3.5L turbo tows like a beast - handles a 20 foot utility trailer plus Kubota L series like it is nothing (compared to my old 2003 Chevy Silverado). I use a weigh-safe hitch w/scale: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Weigh-Safe/WS6-25.html?feed=npn which make it super easy to know how much weight is on the tongue.

p.s. As a data point, I was able to get this truck with 44K+ sticker for 34K + taxes (no other fees).

Last edited:
Euros drive small cars and tow trailers with them - not as fast as US ...
Yeah, what's up with that?

I think it is somewhat of a collusion by the automakers to drive us (pun not intended) to higher value vehicles. They downplay tow capacity all the time, many times not recommending towing at all. Meanwhile in Europe, towing a caravan seems like THE summer thing to do with their smaller sedans. I even see recommendations to tow up to 85% of the vehicle weight.

No way that's recommended here. My Subaru for example: Subaru warns against towing. If pushed, it says 1000# max on a 3300# vehicle.

Something's not adding up, and I don't think it is all automatic vs. manual transmission either.

I feel if I ever put a tow hitch on the thing, they'll automatically void any powertrain warranty issue.

Yeah, what's up with that?

I think it is somewhat of a collusion by the automakers to drive us (pun not intended) to higher value vehicles. They downplay tow capacity all the time, many times not recommending towing at all. Meanwhile in Europe, towing a caravan seems like THE summer thing to do with their smaller sedans. I even see recommendations to tow up to 85% of the vehicle weight.

No way that's recommended here. My Subaru for example: Subaru warns against towing. If pushed, it says 1000# max on a 3300# vehicle.

Something's not adding up, and I don't think it is all automatic vs. manual transmission either.

I feel if I ever put a tow hitch on the thing, they'll automatically void any powertrain warranty issue.
There a number of reasons for this. Towing increases warranty costs and liability, so for a market with little interest in towing (cars and small SUVs) it makes no sense to maximize the towing rating. Contrast that to pickups where there is a constant race to claim the highest tow rating and eventually a common SAE towing test procedure was agreed upon to level the playing field. Also, because gas is so cheap here, people are glad to go out and buy a huge pickup to tow with. It makes towing easy, pickups are profitable and everyone is happy.

My favorite example of car towing capability deflation was the old Ford Crown Victoria. It used to rated for 5000 pounds but then over a series of years as the powertrain and brakes were upgraded, the tow rating was reduced all the way to 1500 pounds. All the while, it was basically the same car on the Panther body on frame chassis.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom