Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vizio takes unbundling a step further & removes the tuner from their products. Technically they aren't TVs. Either eay the manufactures make more money selling individual components. So they're happy. I just shopped price knowing everthing is a compromise. Many budget TVs say they have HDR but can't display HDR due to having an 8 bit panel. So there is trickery intentional or not.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very interesting, but that really does make a lot of sense given that only 17% of households are reliant on over-the-air television.

And I suppose that makes clear why what I mentioned before also makes sense: Why incur the manufacturing and licensing* cost for four or five kinds of inputs and four or five kinds of outputs, when most people only use one or two inputs and one or two outputs. If you can make it modular enough and convenient enough to buy the add-on, then why not strip it down to the minimum someone needs.

* It costs a minimum of 20c per unit just in licensing fees to include HDCP-compatible HDMI output ports.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #23

I like having one remote. Every plug in has a remote. It get tedious.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free bird View Post
I like having one remote. Every plug in has a remote. It get tedious.
My favorite solution to that problem: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...te-650?crid=60
Old 01-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is a TCL brand. I researched TVs on CNET & a dozen other test sites. It gets very technical. This TV has no local dimming which is good for movies. It has HDR but no dolby vision. I watch over the air broadcast TV. Movies & TV series from the library. Some Redbox blue ray. TCL makes a P series TV which is a better TV but it is $600-$700. If I was outfitting a home theater I would spend more but I felt for the money & my viewing habits it was a good compromise. The tech is evolving quickly & this TV will be obsolete in 2-3 years.
I've got a couple of TCL Roku TVs and have been happy with them so far. I like the Roku interface and app selection for streaming, the TV has plenty of connections and the 4K picture is very good (got the P Series). I already had a sound bar for the main TV, so that worked out well. Competition among the TV manufacturers is keen and, particularly during sales, you can get very capable equipment at a reasonable price.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
My favorite solution to that problem: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...te-650?crid=60
My remote for my samsung tv automatically picked up my soundbar which i have yet to need and my firestick.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #27

Vizio also wants you to use your phone or tablet as a remote. Some models have a basic remote but you need the app on a smart device to control most fuctions. I wonder when they will just send you a kit & you can build your own TV. Like a Heath kit from back in the day
Old 01-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #28

We needed to replace our LG 50 inch before Xmas. We ended up with the Insignia 4K 55 inch Roku. We considered the TCL brand which ran about $20 more at the time, but there wasn't one on display at BestBuy. We are pretty happy with the Insignia. Have it hooked up to the ol' LG sound bar via HDMI. Insignia is a BB brand. From my research, they also made some of the Sharp models before Sharp sold them exclusive rights to sell TV's under the Sharp brand in the US.

Our LG lasted only ~3 years before the LED backlights started going bad. I repaired it once but the 2nd time, I decided not to throw good money into it. After having a >$3,000TV some years back, I vowed never to buy the latest and greatest. If I have to throw this one out in 4 years, I'm a happy camper.

Good luck with the TCL. The Roku TV works a lot better that the embedded LG smart interface ever did.

P.S the Roku Android App controls our Insignia Roku. I imagine it does for the TCL too.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #29

Can you use any HDMI port on a TV to connect to a soundbar or does it need to be a 'special' HDMI port? I see (ARC) mentioned but have no clue what that means.

I'm currently connecting to our soundbar using the digital audio cable but I have to use the soundbar remote to do anything with it.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
[*]Bluetooth OUT for listening to the TV with headphones[/LIST]
Anyone heard of such a thing?
I'm also interested in headphones. I watch most of my TV after my wife is in bed. It seems hard to find sound systems with headphone options.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I'm also interested in headphones. I watch most of my TV after my wife is in bed. It seems hard to find sound systems with headphone options.
I like my (action) movies loud - and we are in a townhouse......

I am currently using this combination. Very happy with both of them for less than $100 total, but would like to get a soundbar with the dongle-thingy built-in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V49XRL
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5KKUR0

The transmitter will support two sets of headphones, so that's cool. If going BT, make sure you get "aptX low latency" devices (both transmitter and headphones must be this) for best performance.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Can you use any HDMI port on a TV to connect to a soundbar or does it need to be a 'special' HDMI port? I see (ARC) mentioned but have no clue what that means.

I'm currently connecting to our soundbar using the digital audio cable but I have to use the soundbar remote to do anything with it.
My understanding is you need a HDMI ARC (audio return channel) connector on both the TV and soundbar to pass the audio through from the TV to the soundbar.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
ARC is used for combining bidirectional Audio and HDMI. Both the TV and Sound Bar must be ARC rated (I think). Here is a short primer:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/hdmi-ar...ews-26262.html

I have 2 HDMI cables to the TV, one from the Dish receiver and 1 from my DVD player. Then 1 cable (ARC) to the soundbar (also ARC capable). When I increase volume, both the TV and the Soundbar show the same numbers for volume. They are digitally linked together
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #34

Quote:
I believe they purposly use inferior audio speakers to make you spend more money. Speaker technology has evolved. Tiny speakers make great sound. Just another source of profit.
You have two things going against good sound in these TVs:

1. Think how much thinner these TVs are. Most good speakers take up at least some space.

2. These are cheap TVs. As others have said, price drives sales on low the cheaper TVs. This means that even though there are ways to produce acceptable sound from thin speakers, it costs. You're not going to see that on the lowest end TVs.

The work around is to get a sound bar. You can get OK ones pretty cheap and they have the benefit of not optimizing for thinness.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #35

Thanks for multiple responses. I'll check them out.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #36

I run TV sound (Dish and blueray) through a receiver and speakers, both in the upstairs living room and downstairs in the study. Works great but I use it mostly for movie watching and some TV drama/sports.
My youngest gave me his 60" plasma that was giving him problems through HDMI, so I connected it last week--really improved the NFL playoff experience versus the old 42" plasma that I was using.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #37

Every time we walk into Costco i point out the 80" UHD TVs to Mrs Scrapr. I tell her we have room on the wall for that. or That would look good in my TV room.

She has not bit yet (-;;
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote