Join Early Retirement Today

New Vanguard active management
Old 03-25-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anybody get the email for this new Vanguard service for PAS clients?
"Your new active equity offer is here
We’re pleased to announce that you now have access to an expanded active equity lineup, exclusive to Personal Advisor clients. If you have an appetite for more active exposure, here’s another way to further customize your portfolio. At a future appointment, your advisor will discuss if active is right for you."

Here is expanded information when you click the link.
We’re pleased to announce that you now have access to an expanded active equity lineup that consists of 3 new mutual funds and 2 existing products—Vanguard Capital Opportunity Fund and Vanguard International Core Stock Fund.

Designed to meet the evolving needs and preferences of investors looking for more active within their portfolio, the new offer provides broad global active equity exposure and the potential for enhanced long-term performance.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2022, 06:32 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Got it, & tossed it. More active exposure = churning. I'm satisfied handling my own trading.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

.43 and .46 ER ratios, respectively. Looks like they can’t afford to offer what actually works: Low Fee passive index funds. Sad.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:08 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

John Bogle knows the course is changing.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
John Bogle knows the course is changing.
What do you mean?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
What do you mean?
John Bogle frequently used the phrase, "Stay the Course," and wrote a book with that title.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
.43 and .46 ER ratios, respectively. Looks like they can’t afford to offer what actually works: Low Fee passive index funds. Sad.
I agree with the passive fund portfolio, but some people can't see the value in matching the market. For them, Edward Jones(Slick Eddie) and other very high cost, fund churning, "buy your advisor a yacht" type advisory brokers are the often chosen answer. This might give them a reasonable alternative with lower cost funds and lower AUM fees. I could see some value in it for those certain people that believe active is the only way to beat the market.

VW
Old 03-26-2022, 07:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

IMO this is simply a revenue-raiser for VG. Just another example of how these brokers are trying to fix up the income line after losing trading fees.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I agree with the passive fund portfolio, but some people can't see the value in matching the market. For them, Edward Jones(Slick Eddie) and other very high cost, fund churning, "buy your advisor a yacht" type advisory brokers are the often chosen answer. This might give them a reasonable alternative with lower cost funds and lower AUM fees. I could see some value in it for those certain people that believe active is the only way to beat the market.

VW

They might believe it but extensive analysis of the history of active funds shows they’d be wrong, barring a lucky miracle.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
They might believe it but extensive analysis of the history of active funds shows they’d be wrong, barring a lucky miracle.
Sure, but there is an entire multi-billion dollar industry devoted to convincing people of two myths:
1: There are people with investment skills that enable them to consistently beat the stock market’s average performance.

2: It is possible to identify such people in advance and it is possible for retail investors to hire them.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:45 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

It does beg a question - why limit this to only 5 active funds?

This seems like a bad idea and a slippery slope.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
It does beg a question - why limit this to only 5 active funds?

This seems like a bad idea and a slippery slope.
Vanguard is probably still creating more new funds with even higher fees for the next round of mailings. This is a test run.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of JB. He's probably turning over in his grave. Maybe good he can't see what's been happening to VG. GOOD news is we don't have to play along. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:09 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

They likely need some active fund revenue to stay alive in the "race to zero" index fund war they're in against Schwab, Fidelity and the rest. Personally, as a passive fund investor who still has that choice at Vanguard, I actually hope they get some decent response to their PAS and active fund marketing.

Maybe they'll earn enough profit to prioritize some much-overdue fixes to their IT & operational issues.
FindingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #15

I heard a Bogleheads on Investing podcast (Rick Ferri host) episode exploring an apparent Vanguard foray on the horizon into a private equity component for their Target Date funds (! [emoji43]*[emoji94]). Ferri said he sees no reason that Vanguard has any particular advantage in evaluating private equity offerings well enough to overcome its high fees and that you can get about the same returns with the VG small cap value index.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post

VW

I'm as passive as they come, but I agree that for anyone who is stubbornly sticking to active investing, what Vanguard is offering is preferable to the super-high-cost-and-churn options such as you describe above.
Also, it really depends on how Vanguard markets this. If they push the active funds too hard, and de-emphasize what made them attractive in the first place, then shame on them. But if they offer the active management as just another option for those who really want it, then I don't see a problem.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:42 AM   #17

Vanguard has lots of active funds. I'm not sure why any of these new ones would be preferable to Wellington, Wellesley, the global versions of same, or the PRIMECAP lineup (though some the later are closed).

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Speaking of JB. He's probably turning over in his grave. Maybe good he can't see what's been happening to VG. GOOD news is we don't have to play along. YMMV
+1

Beware of them Heelots.