Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

New Vanguard login security
Old 08-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Vanguard login security

Just got my turn ugrading to the new Vanguad login security level. Kinda cool -- you pick a picture that shows up every time you login. If you don't see your picture, then you are being phished.

Also a battery of questions and answers will need to be correctly answered to login from anything besides your 'home' computer.

This is the most advanced one I've used yet. I have a Canadian bank account with something advanced too (you answer a challenge question, and also put in randomized digits of your password, not the whole thing), but Vanguard's seems to be the new gold standard.

Advantage: good guys
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New Vanguard login security
Old 08-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...I didnt get that yet. All I got so far is the username and password are on different pages...

Maybe because i'm using firefox and they seem to do different stuff for IE and FF? Maybe they havent gotten around to doing the new implementation for we minority browser users.

As long as they dont start doing crap like DCU did, forcing password changes every few months and making you close the browser completely after using it or suffer an annoying pop-up every couple of minutes... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Thanks for the heads-up ESRBob. I had received notification via US mail that there was going to be changes made (security image etc) however all that I have noticed was that the sign on takes you to two pages rather than one in order to sign in. Not sure how this makes it more secure as the imput data is the same.

I just tried again and got on my account without any more fancy sign in. Somewhere along the way, all of a sudden a screen pops up (after I am already into my accounts) and asks me for my favorite color. I'm not a big color guy so I picked one out of the air and it tells me that that is incorrect so I typed in another color and got the same message.* I do not recall ever telling Vanguard or anyone else what my fav color is. I still do not have one, I guess I need to get one soon as this seems to be a new issue in logins. I logged out and logged back in with no problem. I don't get it.

I got this from a security place on the VG site:

Now, we've begun introducing the new logon to our clients in stages. If you're a Web-registered client, you may have experienced the new logon already. If not, you'll see it during the next several months, as clients are gradually phased in. (We'll notify you by e-mail when you can begin using the new logon.)

When the new logon becomes available to you, not only will Vanguard be able to confirm your identity, but you'll also be able to verify that you're on the authentic Vanguard website. And you'll know that, as always, Vanguard is committed to providing a safe and secure online investing experience.

Evidently they are doing it in stages and I have not been selected yet, but the pop-up Q about my favorite color really has me stumped.

Has anyone had a simular situationm occur on Vanguard web site?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Im getting the same as CFB. Seperate handle then password page.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I still have the training wheels one (two separate pages). I'll bet they're doing it gradually so they don't have to work out the bugs with thousands of people at once.

Actually the two page system is a step down in security. You can determine whether the user name is correct. If a scammer enters both at once and fails, he doesn't know whether the name or the password is wrong.

BTW, if you use your real name as your User name, you might consider resetting things, and choosing something random. That way, a scammer has one more thing he has to guess.

Quote:
As long as they dont start doing crap like DCU did, forcing password changes every few months and making you close the browser completely after using it or suffer an annoying pop-up every couple of minutes...*
Right, there's a big trade-off between security and convenience.* I hope this is going to be compatible with my password management system.* *I'll be bummed if I can't make a transfer or exchange because I can't remember my favorite color.

Code:
For Monty Python fans:

What'ssssssssss your favorite color?

Red -- no Blue -- Zap!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Bank of America has had the same login picture idea for quite a while ... and they are the scum of the earth as far as banks go (in my experience), so good guys and bad guys have this software.

Anyways, these online sites just get their security software from another vendor (veritas?)
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I got an email from Vanguard today that security was changing. I clicked on the link and was taken to the login page. As mentioned, user ID is entered on one page and password is entered on another. I was asked to identify a security picture. I was asked a series of security questions like where were you married, what town were you born in etc. I then got to my account. I logged off and a few hours later went back to the site. User ID is entered on one page. The next page shows my security picture and I entered my password. Not much to it. I do like the security picture idea.

None of the security questions were asked. Nothing about favorite color.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Maybe they're doing it for some 'grades' and not others, IE putting this in for the regular customers and not yet for voyager or flagship customers...?

Better answer that favorite color question correctly or you'll get launched into the air...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I am not programmed to respond in that area... :

Logged in today; user id and password are on different pages, and it asked me to verify my email address, but no color question.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #10

As far as Vanguard is concerned, my favorite color is green; lots and lots of green.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

What do you choose if you are color blind? Sounds like an ADA lawsuit time to me.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I would be worried that email I got was an attempt to phish .
I wouldnt be suprised if they try to take advantage during the switch.
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #13

Here the the FAQ about the Enhanced logon:
https://flagship5.vanguard.com/VGApp...AQsContent.jsp
Old 08-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #14

MickeyD,
I'd call Vanguard and ask about the color popup thing... it doesn't sound right to me, and even (especially) if they are the perpetrators, they should know it doesn't jibe with any of their info about the security upgrade.

Since you were already in your accounts when it popped up, it doesn't sound like phishing, but stranger things have happened.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I just logged on this morning from a different computer than I used yesterday. It asked one of my security questions before prompting me for my password. I like it.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz
I just logged on this morning from a different computer than I used yesterday. It asked one of my security questions before prompting me for my password. I like it.
I wonder how Vanguard detects the you are logging on from a different computer? Do they collect a signature of the computer and tie it to your user ID? It is much better than just checking cookies.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I wonder how Vanguard detects the you are logging on from a different computer? Do they collect a signature of the computer and tie it to your user ID? It is much better than just checking cookies.
You can track IP addresses on any decent web server. It's not perfect, but is another layer you can look at.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
You can track IP addresses on any decent web server. It's not perfect, but is another layer you can look at.
I think they can also track computer ID and the Internet Service Provider.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

They can also put a cookie on the machine. No cookie, ask another question...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
They can also put a cookie on the machine. No cookie, ask another question...
This would be faster but not as secure.

Tags
vanguard