Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I move the entire annual withdrawal into a high yield savings account, and have automatic monthly transfers from there to the checking account to cover monthly expenses. Also looks like a paycheck.

Lots of ways to skin a catfish.
That was on the list of choices for me as well. I opened an Ally.com that yields quite well. I also like the paycheck model. Cheers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I keep several months of expenses in cash. I try to time liquidations with apparent peaks in the market (I just can't help it). If the market shoots up I will push a few months out to 6 or even more months. Eventually we will hit a prolonged bear market that will make this method impossible. At that point I intend to tap my Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is in the ultra safe G fund. If the bear outlives that stash I will figure out a plan B.
I was thinking what if I put a years worth of expenses in a savings account and my investments grow at 16% like this year? I realized 2017 is an exception (or is it?). I say I'm not a market timer but then find myself wondering what is 2018 performs the same as this year.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
When I originally ER'D, I took monthly distributions from my 401k of $2500. They would sell my securities, get the proceeds after 3 business days, then send a check via snail mail. I tried to have them deposit funds in a checking account with their parent firm but it took just as long; and the parent firm bank does not have a branch office near me within 4 hours driving distance. I eventually told them to shove it with their silly ways, and moved that portion of my 401k that was started before 401ks existed, to cash. I then take 1 distribution in January, get the check in 3 days, and deposit it in my bank. I take monthly distributions from that account.
Wow---snail mail is like 1980's stuff. They told me 3-5 business days but we can have it done via ETF method into my checking account. Glad you figured about a plan B. Cheers.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pulling quarterly from 401K etc is also convenient for paying quarterly tax payments.
camfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Pulling quarterly from 401K etc is also convenient for paying quarterly tax payments.
Good point. I have not completely figured out my tax strategy. Do I pay as I go or just wait till Turbo Tax lets me know the damage in April of the following year?
Old 12-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post
Good point. I have not completely figured out my tax strategy. Do I pay as I go or just wait till Turbo Tax lets me know the damage in April of the following year?
Pay quarterly or face State and Fed fines!
Old 12-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #27

Supernova72 - When DH retired his 401k had similar rules to what you mentioned. He could do one withdrawal of any amount he wanted but after that he had to set up a specified amount that couldn't be changed.

So what he did was move his 401k into an IRA and he would withdraw from that as he chose (not that some states do not give the same protections to an IRA as a 401k so that might be a reason not to do that in those states).

Typically we have certain higher expenses in January than the rest of the year so the January withdrawal is higher than other. We generally then plan for a certain amount to be withdrawn monthly for the rest of the year.

In practice, we vary it. So, if we are "ahead" on money and have built up a lot of cash in the checking account then we will skip the next month's withdrawal. On the other hand, if there is some major expense that occurs sooner in the year than we anticipated (or wasn't anticipated at all) and we don't have enough built up to cover it, then we will do a higher withdrawal.

Basically I like to have about 2 months expenses in cash and do withdrawals as necessary to accomplish that.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Pay quarterly or face State and Fed fines!
That's right---I don't have a paycheck with regular withholding anymore! Thanks!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #29

Quote:
That's right---I don't have a paycheck with regular withholding anymore! Thanks!
Well... unless there has been some recent change...you don't really have to worry about it if you are taking IRA withdrawals and withholding taxes from the withdrawals. Withdrawals from IRA distributions are treated as paid evenly throughout the year even if made in a large payment toward the end of the year.

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/re...your-rmds.html

We do most of our tax payments from the IRA so there is no need to file estimated taxes.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Well... unless there has been some recent change...you don't really have to worry about it if you are taking IRA withdrawals and withholding taxes from the withdrawals. Withdrawals from IRA distributions are treated as paid evenly throughout the year even if made in a large payment toward the end of the year.

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/re...your-rmds.html

We do most of our tax payments from the IRA so there is no need to file estimated taxes.
OP here. For me I left my funds in my 401K vs roll to IRA since I'm not 59.5 and would need to tap those funds early. Our plan lets us do that without the 10% hit. But I can chose to have taxes withheld or not. Need to figure that out.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #31

I do the quarterly withdrawal (from an inherited IRA with RMD requirements). That way I pay taxes each quarter. I withdrawal into my taxable account - and then do monthly transfers of after tax money to my checking account.

I don't see any reason to change the system since it makes sure taxes are covered quarterly.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I do the quarterly withdrawal (from an inherited IRA with RMD requirements). That way I pay taxes each quarter. I withdrawal into my taxable account - and then do monthly transfers of after tax money to my checking account.

I don't see any reason to change the system since it makes sure taxes are covered quarterly.
I still like the idea of a regular income stream to cover known expenses like taxes (property and Fed). It would feel more like when I was working. Definitely in new territory on this. It would be nice to see the pension check and another $1k or so from the 401K on a monthly basis.

Sound like your plan is working well (quarterly, then monthly).
Old 01-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

After 3 years of retirement we are living off of a pension and after tax accounts. I do keep all that cash in a high interest mm account. I then transfer enough for the year into a high mm account that is attached to my checking account. I have enough transferred automatically monthly into my checking account to pay bills and live on.

I did do a Roth conversion this year in the IRA but managed to keep it in the 15% tax bracket. Will take this money from the Roth to replenish my high interest account when needed.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
After 3 years of retirement we are living off of a pension and after tax accounts. I do keep all that cash in a high interest mm account. I then transfer enough for the year into a high mm account that is attached to my checking account. I have enough transferred automatically monthly into my checking account to pay bills and live on.

I did do a Roth conversion this year in the IRA but managed to keep it in the 15% tax bracket. Will take this money from the Roth to replenish my high interest account when needed.
Great, Thanks. Sounds like you have a good plan on allocating funds for annual and then monthly expenses. As weird as it sounds I have 3 separate savings accounts. One for property taxes, one for vacations, one that was (post tense) for my one time severance in Ally.com which is now about gone. Cheers.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I search the forum and at risk of this being discussed many times I'm going to throw it out there. So new in terms of withdraw strategy.

I'm 18 months into an ER due to Megacorp downsizing. Have posted here several times leading up to it and have really appreciated all the feedback.

The skinny: Starting in 2018 I'll need to tap in to my company 401K to supplement my expenses. I *retired* with a pension and medical that essentially covers my day to day expenses. What it won't cover is taxes (house and Fed), homeowners insurance, and vacations if I chose to travel next year.

For the past 18 months the above expenses were covered from an account that was my severance which has not dried up (5 trips---Whoa).

I'm 57 and might not go back to *work* and if I do it will be PT most likely.

IT project manager and Financial Analyst (cost accountant).

I have about $800K in my 401K. I would next to WD 2.8% in 2018 and 1.8% thereafter (big tax hit in 2018).

My question is do most folks do it in January and be done with it? Or do the pay themselves on the monthly or quarterly basis---or with WD as they need it. Apologize in advance if this is a repeat question. New territory for me. Cheers.
OP here; Circling back on some things I've found out about my 401K plan withdraw rules. If I take a monthly $ amount and stop it I can't re-start it again. Seems weird.

Even though I wanted a regular paycheck of sorts to supplement my pension, I'm now leaning towards doing a one time withdraw this month for all of 2018. They withhold 20% for taxes of course.

My plan is to dump that amount (about 2% of my 401K balance) into an Ally.com savings account and move money as needed for property taxes, quarterly fed taxes, vacations. Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated!!
Old 01-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I am trying to figure out the withdrawal plan as well, so this has been very interesting. Good info! I don't need to withdraw this year, but need to figure it out for the future. I may do a roth conversion this year though, since I will have a very low income this year.
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote