News Letter Guru's

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
I know that is a dirty word on this board, but how about the few long standing profitable ones like No-Load FundX or Geraldenw Weiss (Investment Quality Trends) or Investment Reporter.

Anyone brave enough to admit to subscribing and your comments.

modhatter said:
Anyone brave enough to admit to subscribing and your comments.
I used to go to the library to read Hulbert's newsletter and Value Line, but I haven't done either in this millenium.

Anytime I consider a newsletter I return to the customer's conundrum:
"If you're so smart, why are you selling it to me instead of making your fortune investing your recomendations?!?"

The Weiss Investment Quality Trends one is very highly regarded; my boss subscribes and uses her suggestions. He also subscribes to Value Line.
Full disclosure: my boss has for years written a financial newsletter for his fellow dentists (the Jackson Letter). Nice that he puts his own money where he recommends they put money but I'll concede that most RIAs don't do that. :D
Sarah

This spring we renewed our two-year subscription to the Dan Wiener "Independent Advisor for Vanguard Investors".  I use it to help me 'stay the course' in our mostly-vanguard portfolio.  I've been pleased with the monthly printed newsletter and the weekly e-mailed hot-line.  

I track both our portfolio and his four portfolios and try to learn what I can from it.  I do not strictly follow any of his portfolios but have observed that his "Growth Index Portfolio"  has been beating his actively managed "Growth Portfolio" most of the past 4 years.  

Dan W emphasizes costs and asset allocation -  I have used his advise to pump up my midcap and international allocations. 

By the way, he publishes his recommendations and tracks the number of shares and portfolio values for subscribers to do their own evaluations of his recommended selections. 

I recommend it

JohnP

Bob Brinker's Marketimer

I listen to his radio program less frequently these days, but I have subscribed to the newsletter for about 6 years, now ($185/yr). It's gotta be the worst named newsletter around........Bob does "market timing", but he holds his positions for many months or years. He uses four indicators: Economic Cycle, Monetary Policy, Valuation, and Sentiment. Very little coverage of individual stocks. Mostly recomends No-load mutual funds and indexing with four "Model Portfolios". This newsletter smartly called a Jan 2000 top and a Mar 2003 bottom. Also had a huge miss on an Oct 2000 Nasdaq buy signal.

Here is a recent Marketwatch.com article about Brinker's newsletter:

Brinker remains fully invested. All of his model portfolios currently hold Dodge & Cox International Stock Fund (DODFX), Vanguard International Growth Fund (VWIGX), and Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTSMX).

Moneypaper - still looking at DRIP stocks after all these years.

Since way more individual stocks are covered than I could possibly buy - I just pick a few once in while after cross checking with Mergent's Handbook of Dividend Achievers.

Trying to swear off - down to around 32 from a peak of 44.

Something to do this winter - but will probably renew for another year.

heh heh heh heh

Nords said:
"If you're so smart, why are you selling it to me instead of making your fortune investing your recomendations?!?"

Because ne needs a Porsche Boxter and a hot chick on his arm............... ;)

i like eric kobrens fidelity insight newsletter. Have been following it now for over 20 years. Recently added a 2nd ,fidelity monitor ,i added that to so i can avoid fund duplications when utilizing the different portfolios with different time frame and risk objectives.

mathjak107 said:
i like eric kobrens fidelity insight newsletter. Have been following it now for over 20 years.  Recently added a 2nd ,fidelity monitor ,i added that to so i can avoid fund duplications when utilizing the different portfolios with different time frame and risk objectives.

My wife's 401K plan is through Fidelity, so I get the Stages newsletter............looking forward to reading about you............. :D

its not stages we will be in ,its the regular publication they put out called "fidelity magazine"

Bob Brinker's Marketimer

I listen to his radio program less frequently these days, but I have subscribed to the newsletter for about 6 years, now ($185/yr). It's gotta be the worst named newsletter around........Bob does "market timing", but he holds his positions for many months or years. He uses four indicators: Economic Cycle, Monetary Policy, Valuation, and Sentiment. Very little coverage of individual stocks. Mostly recomends No-load mutual funds and indexing with four "Model Portfolios". This newsletter smartly called a Jan 2000 top and a Mar 2003 bottom. Also had a huge miss on an Oct 2000 Nasdaq buy signal.

I used to use Bob's mutual fund picks to help start my research.

jazz4cash: Do you feel Bob still does a good job on long term fund selection?

i use fidelity insight by eric kobren and fidelity monitor. i like both of them .

they are not market timing type newsletters as those are useless

I usually get a yearly subsciption to Value Line about every 3 years. But, since I no longer buy individual stocks, maybe I'll just find something else to subscribe to. If I don't subscibe to something, I begin to feel that I'm out of the loop. The other publication that I enjoy is Barrons.

I used to go to the library to read Hulbert's newsletter and Value Line, but I haven't done either in this millenium.

my thoughts too...when I used to spend more time on the market I would religiously go to the library every week to excitedly grab the Value Line before someone else hogged it and find a quiet corner so the other VL users couldn't find and pester me . Warren B. is a user so you know it's gotta be good.
A little steep to subscribe to, I did do a trial sub for a while but it does not come cheap enough for someone of the Frugal faith.

This newsletter smartly called a Jan 2000 top and a Mar 2003 bottom. Also had a huge miss on an Oct 2000 Nasdaq buy signal.

I made the same good calls! AND converted 500k into cash 2 days before the 400 point drop in the dow a couple of months back.

Anyone wanna buy my newsletter?

Okay...how about 'pull my finger'?

I personally find "generic business" magazines like Forbes, Barrons, and Fortune to be of far more value than portfolio-centric investment newsletters.

I subscribe to Brinker. I follow his market calls, which are rare (2 in the last 7 years) but usually do about 50% of what he recommends if I'm in general agreement. That has resulted in me not making as much money over 20 years as I should have, but I'm still happy to have avoided the "2000 Bear" and reinvested in 2003.

I know he'll eventually make a bad call (I know, I know QQQ) but the guy is basically a straight shooter and gives you what you pay for.....his best educated guess at what the market is going to do. IMHO he's been way more right than wrong over the past 20 yrs.

I happen to agree, but just to play devil's advocate... Why can't they do both? It's not like there isn't plenty of money out there for all of us considering the majority of Americans are too busy buying SUVs and 24inch chrome wheels to bother investing.

I follow Value Line, and listen to Warren Buffett. Everything else to me is noise..........:D

Back
Top Bottom