Join Early Retirement Today

NEWSFLASH: Bernstein slams early retirement!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

NEWSFLASH: Bernstein slams early retirement!!!

Intercst posted earlier today on Bernstein's contribution to this M* thread on "psychotic investors". (I know, I know, redundant.)

Things have taken an odd turn in the last eight hours. ***** has been an active poster on the M* boards and has actually invited Bernstein to join us here at Early-Retirement.org. However before Dory rolls out the red cybercarpet we should take these Bernstein quotes into consideration:
To the person who wants to retire at age 45 or 50, I say lots of luck; while it's possible he or she may be able to withdraw 5% per year of the intitial inflation-adjusted corpus, I can easily conceive of circumstances in which even 2% may be too much. Further, with a time horizon that long, one has to face up to the reality that "merely" keeping up with inflation will seriously disadvantage him or her regarding wage earners, whose earnings will be increasing along with productivity increases.

My advice? Forget about retiring at 45; you're better off being a productive human being as long as you can, and you'll certainly worry a lot less about your money running out.

Admittedly everything Bernstein knows about ERs so far is being provided by *****. But while Bernstein may know enough to see that ***** is not quite yet ready for the primetime ER experience, I think those quotes inappropriately equate "being a productive human being" with "working for earned income".

This really hurts, considering that it's coming from the guy who taught me how to allocate my assets and beat inflation for six decades. And considering who's teaching him so far, I'm willing to give Bernstein another chance to show that ER makes humans even more productive than work ever could. But in the tradition started by the ancient Hawaiians, I'm also ready to burn my copy of Four Pillars at sunrise on Makapu'u Point. Who's with me?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: NEWSFLASH: Bernstein slams early retirement!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eh, don't get so excited. The guy is making statements that appear tomake sense, aside from the jab about staying productive. I suspect that that particular view comes in part from the professorial mindset. Ever known a tenured, research-driven professor personally? They live the life of the mind and their work is a big part of that. Asking a professor to imagine ER is like asking a fisk what it would be like to be out of the water.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe he hasn't read "Your Money or Your Life" we should recommend it to him.

I do not have my own copy to burn, I will have to do it in effigy.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
My advice? Forget about retiring at 45; you're better off being a productive human being as long as you can, and you'll certainly worry a lot less about your money running out.
So I guess retiring at 40 is out of the question. Oh well, there goes my 20 year plan. Thanks for ruining my Christmas, Bernstein.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
whose earnings will be increasing along with productivity increases.
huh? I thought the trend was "to do more with less"? What wage increases are we waiting for?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nords, I thought your reply to Bernstein was excellent. Maybe he will show up here.

Isn't there at least something of a point to his statement that he doesnt have an answer to the SWR for very early retirees because there are too many variables? I have thought about this on occasion when someone plans to retire in their 30s and live on $40,000 a year from their million dollar portfolio. My problem is the difficulty of estimating expenses into the future when you are that young. Maybe spouses and kids are in the future. Health changes. Interests change. The world will change. When I was in my 30s I never would have imagined how much I would spend today on communications--cell phones, broad band internet, satellite TV, etc. Because of these issues, I always have wanted plenty of "fluff" in my budget.

Not to raise the ghost of **** or anything. My point isn't a challenge to the "conventional methodology."

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
huh? I thought the trend was "to do more with less"? What wage increases are we waiting for?

Didn't you get the memo? Corporations have decided to share their increased earnings with employees in the form of a huge Christmas bonus! Oh wait.... that was my dream last night.... sorry... 1.5% raise (non-COLAd) for you this year.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
This really hurts, considering that it's coming from the guy who taught me how to allocate my assets and beat inflation for six decades.* And considering who's teaching him so far, I'm willing to give Bernstein another chance to show that ER makes humans even more productive than work ever could.* But in the tradition started by the ancient Hawaiians, I'm also ready to burn my copy of Four Pillars at sunrise on Makapu'u Point.* Who's with me?!?
Just because you disagree with someone on a particular point, is no reason to excommunicate yourself from them.* *There's no one on this planet that i agree with everything they say.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #9

Whew, I'm glad somebody has finally taken the Bernstein Bible down a notch. Of course, Bernstein was the only guy who could do it. All he is saying is that the future may be different than the past, and the best way to hedge your investment returns is to keep working. Common sense. *****' message is very different, and much less sensical.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm also ready to burn my copy of Four Pillars at sunrise on Makapu'u Point. Who's with me?!?
I'll do it. My library is gonna be pissed though.

How do we know its bernstein anyhow?

I feel pretty dang productive these days. Not worried much about having retired at 39 and having 40+ years ahead of me either considering that my net worth has gone up sharply each and every year since I quit working...

I also still havent looked at what my 'withdrawal rate' is. I spend what I need to spend, dont do anything stupid, and leave it at that.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
I wonder how much of a hard-on he;d get abourr "remaining productive" if he didn't get paid sh*tloads of money for his "efforts". Maybe if his non-copyright protected efforts brought in say, 30,000 or 40,000 a yr he'd understand MOST people's desire to not have to be so f'ing "productive" with no end sight
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
Whew, I'm glad somebody has finally taken the Bernstein Bible down a notch.* *Of course, Bernstein was the only guy who could do it.* *All he is saying is that the future may be different than the past, and the best way to hedge your investment returns is to keep working.* * Common sense.* ******' message is very different, and much less sensical.
Well, I'm not sure this message negates anything in the 'four pillars'. As I remember it, the four pillars touted index investing over active investing. I really don't recall anything about SWRs and retirement.

In fact a guy like Berstein, being a medical doctor and writing books about investing always seemed a bit too 'type A' for retirement.

Your money or your life touted retirement and T-Bill investing. Maybe you're confusing the two.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
How do we know its bernstein anyhow?
Unless someone hacked his password, it's him. He's attended Vanguard Diehard conventions and the regulars all know each other's posting names & e-mail addresses.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Okay then, lets light HIS copy of the four pillars on fire.

That'll teach him.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
. . . But while Bernstein may know enough to see that ***** is not quite yet ready for the primetime ER experience, I think those quotes inappropriately equate "being a productive human being" with "working for earned income".

This really hurts, considering that it's coming from the guy who taught me how to allocate my assets and beat inflation for six decades.* And considering who's teaching him so far, I'm willing to give Bernstein another chance to show that ER makes humans even more productive than work ever could.* But in the tradition started by the ancient Hawaiians, I'm also ready to burn my copy of Four Pillars at sunrise on Makapu'u Point.* Who's with me?!?

Okay.* I know I'm going to get flamed for this, and probably deserve to, but "more productive in ER?"* Really?* I guess its possible but there is no indication of that in the "What do you do all day thread" http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...59689#msg59689

Seems like most people's daily routines involved domestic chores, exercising, reading, and surfing the internet. Although I think most people would be envious of that lifestyle I don't think many would define it as "productive."

Old 09-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Seems like most people's daily routines involved domestic chores, exercising, reading, and surfing the internet. Although I think most people would be envious of that lifestyle I don't think many would define it as "productive."
I define productive as serving my interests as well as my families and friends, instead of some corporate millionaries that are piling up more money than they can spend in several lifetimes.

Productive: - Increasing Family relationships and increasing friendships. Exercising - building a healthy body instead of working causing stress, ulcers etc.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I define productive as serving my interests as well as my families and friends, instead of some corporate millionaries that are piling up more money than they can spend in several lifetimes.

Productive: - Increasing Family relationships and increasing friendships. Exercising - building a healthy body instead of working causing stress, ulcers etc.
If one is going to quite the working world, it helps a lot to have this sort of attitude. You don't accept anyone else's definition of productive, or useful, or good, or anything else.

So I guess that at least theoretically, if what I like to do is watch erotic videos and drink or smoke hash all day, who is to tell me that isn't productive?

Maybe that is the main function of this board- a virtual support group for those who are marching to a different drummer.

Ha
Old 09-21-2005, 07:28 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

but "more productive in ER?" *Really?

Yes really. *When I was working, I produced code and documents that people in DoDland ultimately used as door stops.

Now I rehabilitate songbirds and give platelets regularly. *I couldn't have done either while working.

I probably "wasted" 15 years producing doorstops, but it allowed me to FIRE and do something that was actually productive.

arrete
arrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #19

I don't know what productive is. Define it as working for a profit producing company. Define it as building better relationships. I don't care. I don't owe it to anyone to meet their expectation of productivity.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

So I guess that at least theoretically, if what I like to do is watch erotic videos and drink or smoke hash all day, who is to tell me that isn't productive?

Ha
Ha: *I won't call you unproductive, if you will do the same for me re: my twin waste of times.
Golf & fly-fishing.

Actually, the fact that I am no longer paid for being "productive", I couldn't care less if that violates some sort of code on how to live your life. *(Ted used to have a difficult time with that concept. )

Jarhead
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote