Join Early Retirement Today

No 1099 for less than $10 ?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

No 1099 for less than $10 ?

Kids and I have several small bank accounts that earn little / no interest.

I guess banks do not have to issue 1099's if amount is less than $10 - makes sense.

I'm assuming I also should not bother finding/reporting same small amounts ? (I guess I could find interest on a monthly statement).

OK to ignore these ?

Thanks !
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I was looking for a 1099 on a small checking account so called my bank and learned they do not issue them if under $10. My interest was a whopping 93 cents We did not include it in our 2012 income.
jim747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #4

There is a threshold under which a 1099 is not required. Not sure if it is $10, but that sounds about right.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It won't cost you much to report it, but if you run for political office or otherwise do something where you will have your background checked I think it would be wise to report it and to have had it reported in the past.

My 2012 interest is on my December statements as YTD. I think it was $2.63 or thereabouts.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I assume we are talking about a single 1099 applicable to a single type of account such as a bank account. I say this because my friend whose taxes I prepare received seven 1099 forms, some of which listed several different types of accounts and investments such as taxable interest, tax-exempt interest, ordinary dividends, qualified dividends, and cap gain distributions. Some of the amounts shown for these categories were for less than $10; one of them had an amount of $0.01 although in both cases there were ordinary dividends of at least $300.

I created a table within a spreadsheet which listed each institution's 1099 form(s) along with the amount for each type of income.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #7

I suppose it depends on the institution - DW gets one for $8 and some change every year.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #8

Is interest of less than $10 taxable? - Yahoo! Answers

You can google and find many more......all I've read have the same answer.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #9

The answer is you won't get a 1099 for accounts with less than $10 of interest. And these days you can have a $1000 account still be under the $10. As far as paying taxes you are suppose to pay tax on it even if its under $10. But my memory is far better for deductions vs. income. Without a 1099 to jog my memory there's no way I can remember.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Given today's interest rates on things like CD's and passbook accounts, earnings under $10 are not that uncommon. I had several accounts that did not bother to report earnings on a 1099. The War On Savers Fed's financial plan definetly has its winners and losers.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #11

My recollection (which may be faulty) is that, though the wording was ambiguous, taxpayers are required to report ALL income, period. For all the 5 extra minutes it took, we've always reported those "penny accounts". It never increased our tax bill, and we've never lost any sleep over it.

Of course, I spoze you could always just call the IRS and ask them....

Tyro
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #12

Our 1099 from our bank included the interests earned from our checking accounts which are less than a dollar. Since they are already on my Quicken, it is not a problem importing them into my tax return.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi View Post
The answer is you won't get a 1099 for accounts with less than $10 of interest. And these days you can have a $1000 account still be under the $10. As far as paying taxes you are suppose to pay tax on it even if its under $10. But my memory is far better for deductions vs. income. Without a 1099 to jog my memory there's no way I can remember.
This is the correct answer -- If ANY ACCOUNT has interest of 50 cents or more it MUST be listed as income in the interest section of your taxes!

fd
FinancialDave is offline   Reply With Quote