Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

The solution? Have the govt bail 'em out!
That might work, but only if we limit SS recipients bonuses and get stock...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We don't have many board members on Medicare, but Business Week makes the point that no Social Security COLA plus rising Medicare premiums equals a net reduction of income.
Millions face shrinking Social Security payments - BusinessWeek
"Seniors may perceive that they are being hurt because there is no COLA, but they are in fact not getting hurt," said Andrew G. Biggs, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, a Washington think tank. "Congress has to be able to tell people they are not getting everything they want."

Step right up Senator, Granny has question for you.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
"Seniors may perceive that they are being hurt because there is no COLA, but they are in fact not getting hurt," said Andrew G. Biggs, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, a Washington think tank. "Congress has to be able to tell people they are not getting everything they want."

Step right up Senator, Granny has question for you.
Yeah could you imagine that town hall meeting.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ready, aim, FIRE !!!!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Well apparently Our Medicare cost will be going up..so it will be less on the bottom line...

We're Up about 3.6% here on staples/Utilities/Gas for cars etc.so far..this yr vs last..and of course Med. bills..for the same we had last yr..

Not much we can do about it either way..
Just eat More Oatmeal I guess..
Already down to a 4 cycl. Car and loaded up on More Insulation and Long Underwear..

;>)
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #26

From this article, only about 1/4 of the Medicare recipients will be effected by no cola. e.g. their Medicare Part B payment will remain the same. However, the upper 1/4 are going to get hosed! I also appears the states will also.

http://www.kff.org/medicare/7912.cfm
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Well apparently Our Medicare cost will be going up..so it will be less on the bottom line...

We're Up about 3.6% here on staples/Utilities/Gas for cars etc.so far..this yr vs last..and of course Med. bills..for the same we had last yr..

Not much we can do about it either way..
Just eat More Oatmeal I guess..
Already down to a 4 cycl. Car and loaded up on More Insulation and Long Underwear..

;>)
I cant fathom how your gasoline bill would be higher this year. You driving more than normal?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just wondering if the esteemed members of the Congress are also not getting their COLA increase this year?
atlas888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
"Seniors may perceive that they are being hurt because there is no COLA, but they are in fact not getting hurt," said Andrew G. Biggs, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, a Washington think tank.
Yep -- we all know that energy and health care and food costs are going down...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I always heard the COLA calculation described as based on the percentage increase in costs this year over last year calculated at end of August (e.g. 2009 against 2008). But if costs go down this year does the following year's COLA get calculated as the increase against this year's costs (i.e. 2010 against 2009) or at the higher 2008 base (2010 against 2008)?
Apparently that's a more difficult question than expected. Here's text from this week's MOAA update:

Quote:
Last week, we officially threw in the towel on any prospect for a 2010 COLA for Social Security, military/federal retired pay, SBP, and VA disability compensation recipients.

With inflation 2.3% in the hole through the first 10 months of the fiscal year, inflation would have to rise more than 4.6% in the next two months (the COLA is based on the July/August/September average) for there to be a 2010 COLA, and that’s not going to happen.

But this is the first time the nearly 50-year history of COLAs that there’s been negative inflation for the full year, and that sent us back to research how the COLA law deals with that event.

We know there won’t be a cut in retired pay, Social Security, etc. There just won't be a COLA.

But how about 2011? Does the "COLA clock" reset at zero, or do we start the new fiscal year in the hole by whatever negative number the CPI represents at the end of September?

The short answer is that it's a cumulative calculation, and we will, in fact, start FY2010 in the "COLA hole."

The law says the COLA is calculated based on CPI growth from the third quarter average to the next year's third quarter average. However, it specifies that the starting point for the calculation is the third quarter of the year prior to "the most recent adjustment..." So if there's no COLA in 2010, then the starting point for the 2011 COLA calculation still remains the third quarter of 2008.

So inflation will have to rise at least a couple of percentage points during the next fiscal year before the 2011 COLA clock will even start.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:28 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazing how much misinformation there is from callers on the various talk shows. "Congress decided to reduce SS this year" etc. I even heard one at a townhall healthcare meeting, saying "they've already slashed SS for next year, Medicare is next."

A little education on COLA is obviously needed. But people will believe what they want to believe.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas888 View Post
Just wondering if the esteemed members of the Congress are also not getting their COLA increase this year?
At least one member of congress raises this issue every year. This year it's likely to get more press. I looked up a little history, this is what I found:

Effective Date Congress $ Congress % SS COLA
1/1/2001 145,100 -- --
1/1/2002 150,000 3.4% 1.4%
1/1/2003 154,700 3.1% 2.1%
1/1/2004 158,100 2.2% 2.7%
1/1/2005 162,100 2.5% 4.1%
1/1/2006 165,200 1.9% 3.3%
1/1/2007 165,200 0.0% 2.3%
1/1/2008 169,300 2.5% 5.8%
1/1/2009 174,000 2.8% 0.0%

This assumes the currently scheduled 1/1/2009 numbers don't change. The big SS increase in 2008 is about equal to the combined Congressional increases for 2008 and 2009.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/97-1011.pdf
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

The issue for the elderly is that their expenses often are different from the country as a whole so even if there is no inflation as a whole, the elderly as a group may still experience inflation.

But they are not the only group that is suffering. Wages are stagnant too. People are being laid off and we are getting close to having large groups running out of unemployment benefits.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
But they are not the only group that is suffering. Wages are stagnant too. People are being laid off and we are getting close to having large groups running out of unemployment benefits.
And these people are only buying the essentials that continues to increase in price, since they can't afford to buy much in the big-ticket discretionary segment of the market where the deflation is.

So it's a double whammy. They have the same (or less) income because of the so-called deflation, when their own cost of living (buying only essentials) is probably up by a nontrivial amount.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Here's another snippet of zero-COLA trivia:

Quote:
If no COLA is paid to social security recipients, said Dan Moraski, spokesman for the Social Security Administration, the law would protect many of them from an increase in Medicare Part B premiums in January.
He said a "hold harmless" provision in the Medicare law would exempt about 75 percent from paying higher Part B premiums in any year in which Social Security pay is unchanged. The 25 percent not eligible for premium protection are individuals with modified adjusted gross incomes above $85,000 or couples with adjusted gross incomes of $170,000.
No Retiree COLA; Widows Win SBP Case

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #36

I just bought .49 yogurt today. What a deal! Deflation on yogurt for sure.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Nothing voted on yet...but keep an eye on a recently proposed bill for a 2010 COLA fix...maybe, who knows what it may end up looking like.
Keywords to search on : The Social Security COLA Fix for 2010 Act (H.R. 3536)
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...mp/~c111NPnYSo::

Last week, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) introduced legislation that, if passed, ensures retirees will receive a cost-of-living-adjustment (COLA) in 2010. Source: //www.myfederalretirement.com/public/487.cfm
Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Nothing voted on yet...but keep an eye on a recently proposed bill for a 2010 COLA fix...maybe, who knows what it may end up looking like.
I don't suppose that will include interest on my I-bonds or TIPS, will it? Or make anyone give me a COLA?

Didn't think so.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't suppose that will include interest on my I-bonds or TIPS, will it? Or make anyone give me a COLA?

Didn't think so.

Another one of these buying of votes...

One thing that I see.... 50 mill getting SS checks is over 16% of the population... and I am sure that is going up...

I think... for the good of the country... in these hard financial times.... we should cut that back to say.... 10%... so, the top 18 mill seniors.. expect to not get checks going forward... we have other people to send this money to....

JUST KIDDING!!!!
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Last minute scramble...
Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Last minute scramble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Keywords to search on : The Social Security COLA Fix for 2010 Act (H.R. 3536)
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)::

Last week, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) introduced legislation that, if passed, ensures retirees will receive a cost-of-living-adjustment (COLA) in 2010. Source: //www.myfederalretirement.com/public/487.cfm
Most recent update on a possible $250 "emergency" check for certain groups. Nothing is final yet.
No political intent with this post, just information.
No COLA likely, but $250 check for some retirees - Federal news, government operations, agency management, pay & benefits - FederalTimes.com