Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Norwegians come in a variety of sizes. However circa 1992 mine was:

electric utilities
big oil
telephone
food

and then an eclectic mix of big pharma, banks, div paying mfg, REITs, insurance. And a minor heart throb for water utes and gas utes.

Note that South American debt made many a bank a no no and later Hilary didn't help big pharma. Over the years my water utes went private/got merged a lot.

It's always something. However - in my super cheap period 40% of income was dividends - ie I cut expenses way back.

Since I have lasted long enough(since jan 93) to get a non cola, pension at 55, and early SS plus did some temp work around 95 plus sold and ate the duplex very early in ER - I can offer no great advice except try to stay:

mobile, agile and hostile.

heh heh heh - I still like my pssst Wellesley razz as a benchmark. And to search for sectors with divs holding up and good earnings coverage.

Oh and bye the bye - BAC, C, JPM, UBS-Ag, STI held in amuounts large enough to count as a reasonable spanking.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I've read stories like this Several times in past bears..And I decided not to base My Income on Divs and Ylds. Only..
With 70% in 3 Balanced Funds provide Low Ylds, but twice the Rtns and I just
1. Keep 3 yrs Cash in various MMkt/Short Term Funds to draw on
2. Let the Balance Funds do their Job
3. If I need to sell some issues? So be it.. they have gained 3% more apy past 9 yrs than I planned on , ( 9.1% apy)

so as the guy Falling off a 40 story building said at the 30th floor
.. Well? So far So Good..

Some Friends took a Cash out With their Jobs and Invested it in the same Port as I have and are far better off because of it.. and have the confidence to leave alot more $ to their Kids as well. But, IAD.. on what you plan to do with it and how good you are doing it..

Another cashed out and She Divorced him 3 yrs later and Beforehand? She Blew alot of it! He says he can be a Country singer now , after Loosing his Wife, His Home and His $...He works at Wal mart eversince..
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

As I've said many times, I am dividend guy. In my first 28 years of investing never experienced a dividend cut. With recent recent cuts by Wells Fargo, and US Bank I am up to around dozen in the last year or so. Still I have a few increases in the last month MMM, and a couple of my oil pipeline. Over all my interest and dividend income is down about 15%, bad but not horrendous. My biggest worry/mistake was my letting my cash reserves drop to a 6 month level.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sorry to hear that...did you put ALL your monies in that one sector, I hope not.........

A lot of folks are belt-tightening, even those of us still w*rking......

Human nature,but would you REALLY change some of the "fun" things in life? Probably not......

In this climate, a COLA'D pension seems like the Holy Grail. However, I am not one of those willing to take the crap the average govt employee has to take for 20-30 years to get the pension........
Yes I put everything in the banking sector... I inherited alot - hell, I was growing my port by around 10% per year, so it seemed like a good idea, for about 10 years.

Did the old widow's rule - got laid off in 2003 - waited a year or two, sold my property, bought, renovated and still had cash to burn. We went out to dinner, on vacation... Now it all looks like a big mistake.

I'm not looking for sympathy - I'm looking for ways to make this okay. I've dumbed down cable, phones, heat, internet, groceries, liquor, cars, taking our moms out for lunch.

I just don't know if we can make it or not; I feel like I CAN'T know yet. It all feels so uncertain. I've applied for a job - haven't heard anything.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sparky,

If you need dividend income, you might want to consider selling the common and buying the preferred stock of the same bank. It's still risky, but less so than the common, and some of the preferreds offer pretty high yields. They've also been beaten down far enough, that many have nearly as much upside as the common, IMO. I think it may be at least a couple of years before the stronger banks that have cut their dividends will restore them, as they will have to repay the TARP money first.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
In this climate, a COLA'D pension seems like the Holy Grail. However, I am not one of those willing to take the crap the average govt employee has to take for 20-30 years to get the pension........
Maybe not, but you are the type to pay all the taxes necessary for the average govt employee to collect those nice cola'd pensions! Especially in Wisconsin!