No Inflation Here

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In the early sixties I lived in NYC for a while. Went to a lot of jazz clubs. As I remember, most had a 2 drink minimum. They would just dump your 4 not very good drinks on the table, take your money and the hell with you. I think an evening for 2 cost about $50 -I mean just the nightclub, no food or trans or anything.

Night before last, we went ot hear one of the best groups I have ever heard- a band called Tangletown, put together by Michael Shrieve, former drummer with Carlos Santana. Unbelievable music, unbelievable skill. Cost me $29, including a $5 tip. And that is for 2 rounds of Jack Daniels and Ketel martinis.

I think superb music skills have become so widespread that some very fine musicians would almost pay you to come and listen.

Not good for them, but it sure is fine for an appreciative listerner.

Mikey

That raises an issue that has bugged me for a long time: what's a good metric for determining good entertainment value?

I used to think entertainment was worth about $4/hr. E.g., a paperback book is good for an hour, a movie for two hours, etc. I'd use this metric if I was on the fence about buying a toy. Will I get 50 hours of fun out of that $200 scooter? That sort of thing.

Unfortunately, this metric fails to account for quality, rarity, and probably lots of other parameters. For example, I'm sure I'd be willing to spend more than $4 for an hour with Halle Berry....

Yep, and she'd have to pay me. There is no accounting for taste :)

John Galt

That raises an issue that has bugged me for a long time: what's a good metric for determining good entertainment value?....

Strong halucenagenic drugs used to be a great entertainment buy. A few bucks could get you 8 to 12 hours of amazing entertainment. :D

Relax . . . I'm only kidding.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom