No More Steely Grey Guy and Waspy Blond Wife Sailing

Not that I would like living in a double-wide trailer, but, I do like the concept of living within a group arrangement (sorta). Anyway, there would always be someone home to manage the place when you traveled or look after pets in emergencies, etc.

Glad to know there are positive options...in case my portfolio tanks. :p

Reminds me of the 1960's, when some of us lived on very little as a result of various communal living arrangements.

Sounds good, provided you still can get your sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Probably not, and we girls probably would have to pay rent with the rest of them (at least after we hit 60 or so). ;)

Ah, the economies of scale in a double wide. Bunk beds in each bedroom, 8 people sharing. Cuts heating bill in winter, 8 bodies make lot o heat. No to mention the hot air of conversations. Heck, they'll be awash in disposable income.

I would prefer being house poor and have peace and quiet.
smiley.gif

If this is a compromise you are willing to make, it could free up enough disposable income to pay for quality-of-life enhancing goods and services. Better food, vacations, etc.

4 women - one fish camp - pre Katrina.

What? You think us cheap bastards don't know that stuff - backwards and forwards and by the numbers.

4 bedrooms, three vehicles, one dog , one cat.

It's really tough when they argue who is going to do the best job of cooking and cleaning for you.

Diplomacy is the premium skill.

heh heh heh - :rolleyes: :D :cool:. Beyond that - my lips are sealed.

If this is a compromise you are willing to make, it could free up enough disposable income to pay for quality-of-life enhancing goods and services. Better food, vacations, etc.

Throw in a little dumpster dining and you free up enough lucre for the drugs. Sex and rock and roll are free man. or that was the theory back when.....

Throw in a little dumpster dining and you free up enough lucre for the drugs. Sex and rock and roll are free man. or that was the theory back when.....
I distinctly recall shelling out perfectly good money for the Beatles' albums back then, and it was money I really should have used for the necessities. No Napster, no MP3's. It just seems rosy when looking back on it. :mad:

I seek some way of communal living (as an arthritic aging hippie), combined with the ability to be a hermit most of the time.

It's a great way for young people to live 'cause we were all so damned attractive.

Not so sure abut now.

But there are really downsides to being alone. About once a week I pick up some old or handicapped person who has fallen or doesn't have the leg strength to rise off the bench where she is resting to get positioned in her walker. (I mean literally pick up, as in grasp and lift and deposit in a new spot.)

Yesterday I was walking from a doctor's appt when I walked by an old lady who had fallen into the shrubbery at the entrance to a medical building. I asked her if she needed help- she barely mouthed "yes". So I picked her up and helped her into position in her walker, but she didn't have the leg strength to proceed, even with me supporting her. So I called to someone going into the building and asked if she would please send someone with a wheelchair out. A few minutes later a building concierge showed up with a wheelchair, and with some trouble we got the lady into the chair and into her doc's office.

Last Sunday I rescued a blind guy who couldn't find his way out of a Tully's Coffee house. A few days before it was a young guy who couldn't rise off the seat on the bus to get into position on his walking aid. I think many people are afraid that if they offer help it will embarrass the handicapped person. I consider that too, but if he or she looks like a turtle on its back I figure I should ask if anything is needed.

I have huge respect for these people who tackle extremely difficult situations, but it would sure be a lot easier for them if they had companions to share with helping one another.

Ha

For us young folks (20 somethings), this communal living situation is called "having roommates". These situations too frequently degenerate into a tragedy of the commons.

Only with prescriptions & Medicare benefits.

Heck, Keith Richards would probably look like a youngster in that crowd...

this could be done just as easily on a sailboat as in a trailer. i think it's a great idea.

i've already discussed a similar thought with cousins of mine though we might have had a bit more money in mind. very similar in concept though. we've considered a compound in the developing world, maybe mexico or central america. with our combined wealth we'd get a nice piece of property, build a few small houses and hire local help.

that way we'd be there to look after each other into our older age and we'd have hired help for all the heavy work. the only problem, of course, is that eventually there's only one person left with no one to look after them. so in the regatta of life, i guess making it to the finishing line doesn't always make you the winner.

I have huge respect for these people who tackle extremely difficult situations, but it would sure be a lot easier for them if they had companions to share with helping one another.

Ha

Me too , It's nice to see in Florida how many older people help out each other . Here is an article on elder communal living .
Nation's Building News Online for August 15, 2005

Last edited:
Hmmm - not quite the same-but sorta in the same ball park, have an 86 yr old neighbor to watch/take care of the boys when we boogy down the road next week for another visit to greater New Orleans.

The boys - two dogs, one cat, and a bunch of fish(38 gal aquarium).

heh heh heh - they are senior critters like us. :D.

this could be done just as easily on a sailboat as in a trailer. i think it's a great idea.

i've already discussed a similar thought with cousins of mine though we might have had a bit more money in mind. very similar in concept though. we've considered a compound in the developing world, maybe mexico or central america. with our combined wealth we'd get a nice piece of property, build a few small houses and hire local help.

that way we'd be there to look after each other into our older age and we'd have hired help for all the heavy work. the only problem, of course, is that eventually there's only one person left with no one to look after them. so in the regatta of life, i guess making it to the finishing line doesn't always make you the winner.

Maybe a tontine would work? World Wide Words: Tontine

I think I would look into gov't subsidized housing first. I believe the rules are that your income needs to be less than 80% of the median, and your rent will be 30% of your income.

Most of these units are in buildings that are entirely older people. So you still have some possibilities for socializing.

Most of these units are in buildings that are entirely older people. So you still have some possibilities for socializing.

Unless of course you prefer las jovenes.

ha

My mom, brother and SIL are going to be sharing a house starting this summer or fall.
They are buying a house with three bedrooms and a bath upstairs, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths downstairs and a living room and family room and kitchen. Mom will get the two downstairs bedrooms, one bath and the living room and have her own coffee pot in the kitchen. Brother and SIL will have a business in the garage and are setting up mom with Yahoo messenger so she can invite them for tea. They will share meals or mom will go out she doesn't cook. Mom will pay her share of the housekeeper and buy some of the food.
Mom is looking forward to it, she is 81 and very lonely. My brother retired last year at 57 and has been married to his wife 40 years. His wife came up with the idea and everyone respects each other so with the kitchen being the only shared room they won't go in each other's space without being invited. Mom can have her boyfriend sleep over and have people in to play cards without interfering in their life. They aren't charging her rent or utilities so she will sell her house to their son on contract. She will collect from him and stop paying property taxes, insurance and utilities so save about $500 plus get a check for life.

Remember the TV show The Golden Girls? That would be a nice arrangement. I don't know what their financial arrangement was but they did appear to live in a nice house and really had a good social network going for them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom