Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

No More Steely Grey Guy and Waspy Blond Wife Sailing
Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No More Steely Grey Guy and Waspy Blond Wife Sailing

How to retire on $12,000 a year - MSN Money

Instead, get together with three other oldsters in a trailer. Not only is it cheaper, but this article asserts that there are social benefits too!

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not that I would like living in a double-wide trailer, but, I do like the concept of living within a group arrangement (sorta). Anyway, there would always be someone home to manage the place when you traveled or look after pets in emergencies, etc.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Glad to know there are positive options...in case my portfolio tanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Reminds me of the 1960's, when some of us lived on very little as a result of various communal living arrangements.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds good, provided you still can get your sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Probably not, and we girls probably would have to pay rent with the rest of them (at least after we hit 60 or so).

Old 06-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Ah, the economies of scale in a double wide. Bunk beds in each bedroom, 8 people sharing. Cuts heating bill in winter, 8 bodies make lot o heat. No to mention the hot air of conversations. Heck, they'll be awash in disposable income.

I would prefer being house poor and have peace and quiet.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How to retire on $12,000 a year - MSN Money

Instead, get together with three other oldsters in a trailer. Not only is it cheaper, but this article asserts that there are social benefits too!

Ha

Ha , You go first and tell us how it all works out !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If this is a compromise you are willing to make, it could free up enough disposable income to pay for quality-of-life enhancing goods and services. Better food, vacations, etc.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

4 women - one fish camp - pre Katrina.

What? You think us cheap bastards don't know that stuff - backwards and forwards and by the numbers.

4 bedrooms, three vehicles, one dog , one cat.

It's really tough when they argue who is going to do the best job of cooking and cleaning for you.

Diplomacy is the premium skill.

heh heh heh - . Beyond that - my lips are sealed.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
If this is a compromise you are willing to make, it could free up enough disposable income to pay for quality-of-life enhancing goods and services. Better food, vacations, etc.
Throw in a little dumpster dining and you free up enough lucre for the drugs. Sex and rock and roll are free man. or that was the theory back when.....
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Throw in a little dumpster dining and you free up enough lucre for the drugs. Sex and rock and roll are free man. or that was the theory back when.....
I distinctly recall shelling out perfectly good money for the Beatles' albums back then, and it was money I really should have used for the necessities. No Napster, no MP3's. It just seems rosy when looking back on it.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I seek some way of communal living (as an arthritic aging hippie), combined with the ability to be a hermit most of the time.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It's a great way for young people to live 'cause we were all so damned attractive.

Not so sure abut now.

But there are really downsides to being alone. About once a week I pick up some old or handicapped person who has fallen or doesn't have the leg strength to rise off the bench where she is resting to get positioned in her walker. (I mean literally pick up, as in grasp and lift and deposit in a new spot.)

Yesterday I was walking from a doctor's appt when I walked by an old lady who had fallen into the shrubbery at the entrance to a medical building. I asked her if she needed help- she barely mouthed "yes". So I picked her up and helped her into position in her walker, but she didn't have the leg strength to proceed, even with me supporting her. So I called to someone going into the building and asked if she would please send someone with a wheelchair out. A few minutes later a building concierge showed up with a wheelchair, and with some trouble we got the lady into the chair and into her doc's office.

Last Sunday I rescued a blind guy who couldn't find his way out of a Tully's Coffee house. A few days before it was a young guy who couldn't rise off the seat on the bus to get into position on his walking aid. I think many people are afraid that if they offer help it will embarrass the handicapped person. I consider that too, but if he or she looks like a turtle on its back I figure I should ask if anything is needed.

I have huge respect for these people who tackle extremely difficult situations, but it would sure be a lot easier for them if they had companions to share with helping one another.

Ha
Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

For us young folks (20 somethings), this communal living situation is called "having roommates". These situations too frequently degenerate into a tragedy of the commons.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Only with prescriptions & Medicare benefits.

Heck, Keith Richards would probably look like a youngster in that crowd...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

this could be done just as easily on a sailboat as in a trailer. i think it's a great idea.

i've already discussed a similar thought with cousins of mine though we might have had a bit more money in mind. very similar in concept though. we've considered a compound in the developing world, maybe mexico or central america. with our combined wealth we'd get a nice piece of property, build a few small houses and hire local help.

that way we'd be there to look after each other into our older age and we'd have hired help for all the heavy work. the only problem, of course, is that eventually there's only one person left with no one to look after them. so in the regatta of life, i guess making it to the finishing line doesn't always make you the winner.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

I have huge respect for these people who tackle extremely difficult situations, but it would sure be a lot easier for them if they had companions to share with helping one another.

Ha

Me too , It's nice to see in Florida how many older people help out each other . Here is an article on elder communal living .
Nation's Building News Online for August 15, 2005
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - not quite the same-but sorta in the same ball park, have an 86 yr old neighbor to watch/take care of the boys when we boogy down the road next week for another visit to greater New Orleans.

The boys - two dogs, one cat, and a bunch of fish(38 gal aquarium).

heh heh heh - they are senior critters like us. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
this could be done just as easily on a sailboat as in a trailer. i think it's a great idea.

i've already discussed a similar thought with cousins of mine though we might have had a bit more money in mind. very similar in concept though. we've considered a compound in the developing world, maybe mexico or central america. with our combined wealth we'd get a nice piece of property, build a few small houses and hire local help.

that way we'd be there to look after each other into our older age and we'd have hired help for all the heavy work. the only problem, of course, is that eventually there's only one person left with no one to look after them. so in the regatta of life, i guess making it to the finishing line doesn't always make you the winner.

Maybe a tontine would work? World Wide Words: Tontine
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote