Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Non FDIC Deposit Account Programs
Old 10-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Non FDIC Deposit Account Programs

We've had a few comments in the "Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals" thread about non-FDIC accounts and some agreed a separate thread might be helpful.

Here's a few examples:
Dominion Electric Reliability Investment1.5-1.75% Deposit Account
https://investors.dominionenergy.com...t/default.aspx

Uhaul Investors Club 2.675-4% Asset Backed
https://www.uhaulinvestorsclub.com/I...tOpportunities

GM Right Notes 1.75% Deposit Account
https://www.rightnotes.com/

Toyota Financial 2.00% Deposit Account
https://www.incomedrivernotes.com/en.html

Once again these investments are do not have Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation protection. Feel free to add to the list and post your experiences and observations.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #2

<mod hat on>

Occasionally, we get "bank deal" posts that turn out to be too-good-to-be-true links, so please always be particularly careful before sharing any links offers in this thread. If you're not sure if something is good, post the info & questions - sans link - for other members to help vet.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Here's another one: Duke Energy PremierNotes https://www.duke-energy.com/our-comp...tes-investment similar concept to DERI.

Under $10k.... 0.95%
$10k-$49.999k... 1.00%
$50k+.... 1.15%

I recently started an account (aka note) with DERI. While I like the 1.6% yield, the user experience is out of the 1990s... snail mail to open the account, online access hasn't worked for over a week (they're working on it), etc...

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

What was the comment about DERI withholding taxes automatically/ not paying interest on the amount withheld?
Old 10-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With the UHaul notes, one thing to be aware of and keep in mind is that they are amortized over the life of the investment. Meaning that with each quarterly interest payment they also return a portion of the principal. So, over the life of it, the same as your home mortgage, the payments are equal, but your balance will go down and with the last payment it includes the last of your principal and a tiny amount of interest.

Click on the link to the right of each investment opportunity for View Payment Schedule.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
gone traveling

I tread carefully anticipating 100% of involved time, principle & interest is @100% risk of return.
But thats my view.

Good luck & Best wishes...
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
I tread carefully anticipating 100% of involved time, principle & interest is @100% risk of return.
But thats my view.
You're welcome to your view, but what is it based on? Have you personally investigated/reviewed any of the details of those mentioned, or just going off the cuff?
Old 10-03-2020, 04:04 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’ve been in DERI for about 18 months. When they first started, maybe 3 years ago, their interest rates were inferior to FDIC insured HY Savings accounts, there was no logical reason to join for about a year or so, when they got their act together and started to out perform.

The snail mail is only for opening the account. I haven’t had any online down time this past week at all and have been online a few times. They are essentially a high yield non-FDIC insured savings account. $1000 minimum to open, but you can go lower after that. There are 3 tiers of interest rates, currently 1.5% for up to $10k, 1.6% for over $10 to $49999, and 1.75% for over $50k. At their peak through April of this year they were at 2.75%. Rates are reviewed monthly and you are not notified of the changes.

Limit is 6 withdrawals a month, no less than $250 and no more than something like $3MM (yeah, right) per transaction. So it is no good for anything more than say a mortgage or car payment source , a place to park cash between planned trades, a monthly allowance etc.

They post interest monthly, but it appears to compound daily.

The oddest part of it, and they don’t advertise it so I’m not sure if it is optional or not, is they with hold Federal tax of 20% of interest earned per monthly interest payment, and it is a separate line item. So you lose the interest compounding on itself, which is roughly $7/yr per $100k for $1750 earned, so I don’t care about it, since my tax rate is always over 20% and then I don’t have to include the interest in tax planning for withholding.

You get free checking with the same 6 checks per month/$250 minimum amount. I’ve used 2 checks in the past year. Checks come in handy for mobile phone deposits where the receiver posts the check the business day it is deposited, vs online transfer which takes an extra business day, and for transfers to non bank payees, like a credit card or car payment bill not associated with a bank. Online transfers are only to banks. They do not recognize credit unions for some strange reason.

I’ve had zero complaints so far. I’m using it as my cash buffer while doing Roth conversions before I file for SS and a place to park cash to take advantage of short term MM bonus deals like CapitalOne360.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm not keen on the 20% tax withholding and wonder why on that... legally it is a bond and none of my other bonds have taxes withheld. Not sure if it is a deal-killer but I don't like it and I particularly don't like that they fail to disclose it.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm not keen on the 20% tax withholding and wonder why on that... legally it is a bond and none of my other bonds have taxes withheld. Not sure if it is a deal-killer but I don't like it and I particularly don't like that they fail to disclose it.
Based on my reading of the prospectus, it is the same as any other investment. You need to complete the form that you are not subject to back up withholding. Maybe the person who indicated 20% being withheld did not do it - 24% is the current rate when back up withholding comes into play.

See end of page 13 and top of page 14:
https://s2.q4cdn.com/510812146/files...prospectus.pdf

Quote:
Backup withholding may apply to you if you fail to comply with
applicable tax identification requirements.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Ok, that makes more sense. If I ever get online account access I'll let you know if they withheld any tax on my interest.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

njhowie, thanks for clearing that up on the withholding. Made no sense otherwise.

I think these programs are fairly interesting. I believe I participated in one long ago, maybe Ford Motor Credit. Just want to watch the credit ratings of the offerer, indeed as you would with any investment.

I do not view these as a direct substitute for FDIC insured funds. But they still can have a place as they are unique with the cash availability and fixed principal balance.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I never see any withholding until I withdraw. I thought the description was withholding monthly as the interest gets credited to the account. That 20% does not compound. I don’t like it either.

EDIT: I just took a quick look into the backup withholding requirements and it does imply that each payment of interest is subject to withholding at a rate of 24%.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:14 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just went in to my account online, and you are correct. It is 24% not 20% withholding. Yes, it is withheld monthly as interest posts. Such a small amount when compared to the increased interest earned compared to 1% or less CD/inline savings, it’s not an issue with me, but good to know it can be changed.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
njhowie, thanks for clearing that up on the withholding. Made no sense otherwise.

I think these programs are fairly interesting. I believe I participated in one long ago, maybe Ford Motor Credit. Just want to watch the credit ratings of the offerer, indeed as you would with any investment.

I do not view these as a direct substitute for FDIC insured funds. But they still can have a place as they are unique with the cash availability and fixed principal balance.
Agreed... but comparing 1.6% DERI to 0.6% DiscoverBank one is getting paid a 1% premium for the credit risk of ~BBB vs risk-free.

By comparison, it looks like the premium between one-year BBB corporate bond and a one-year CDs is about 0.7% so the 1.0% DERI risk premium seems fair to me.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #16

About ten years ago when on-line accounts were under 1%, I had accounts in GE Interest Plus (2009- 2014) and in Duke PremierNotes (2012 to 2016). I would limit my account balances to about $50K plus $1 to gain the highest interest tier, to limit risk as they are not FDIC insured. At the time you would get that rate on the entire account balance. I don't recall if they had on-line account access, I only recall paper monthly statements. I also don't recall ACH being available. I believe deposits were paper checks and snail mail, withdrawals were by checks supplied when I opened the account. Worth a phone call to clarify what services are currently offered.
I eventually moved out of these accounts as premium interest shrunk over time and decided they were no long worth the extra risk.

Glad this topic came up as It is time to investigate all options. I look at these accounts as the equivalent of buying a very liquid corporate bond.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Agreed... but comparing 1.6% DERI to 0.6% DiscoverBank one is getting paid a 1% premium for the credit risk of ~BBB vs risk-free.

By comparison, it looks like the premium between one-year BBB corporate bond and a one-year CDs is about 0.7% so the 1.0% DERI risk premium seems fair to me.
Yes. And that is before placing value on check writing and fixed principal balance.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

I completely agree. I'm a bit cautious on the DERI, GM, and Toyota only because they are implied to be substitutes for savings accounts but they really aren't as we both understand. When we get down to under 2%, I don't get turned on by any of these. The same way I wouldn't purchase any (municipal) bond which paid under 2% with no chance for higher return, I feel the same here. The risk/reward is simply not justified in my mind.

In the case of UHaul, which I have twice had my finger on the button to create an account but still haven't, it is clearly an investment on par with a secured bond. I began investigating a couple years back when they were paying 5% to 8% on some of them (still kicking myself for passing then). If the security gets destroyed or declines in value and worst comes to worst, Amerco (UHaul's parent company that's profitable and been around for 75 years) is still on the hook. On the flip side, having the assets securing the individual investments is good protection...though somewhat questionable how much taking possession of dollies, furniture blankets, or other moving equipment may be worth in the secondary market. For the longer term higher yielding opportunities like buildings and real estate, though they too can decline in value, it would seem they'd better hold their value. Regardless, in any case, still better than an unsecured loan/bond.

Additionally, the amortization "feature" of how they pay out is interesting - you are the lender, they are the borrower. As the investment ages and approaches it's "end of life", your stake in it automatically declines, reducing your risk. My thoughts surrounding this is that I would come up with an investment plan whereby as the quarterly payments are thrown off, I'd reinvest in to additional ones - compounding and growing over time. I need to think more about this - I'm thinking the way to do it is to always roll the payments in to the longest maturity with the highest yield offered at that time. Looking at maybe $5000/month for the first 3 months, which would provide continual monthly payments going forward.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

How do financial products from DERI and Uhaul meaningfully differ from investing through organizations such as Lending Club and Prosper?

I also noticed this on the Uhaul site for notes backed by forklifts. It sounds so scary that I am thinking I must be misunderstanding it.

Quote:
Legal Notice

We have the right to remove the forklift collateral from time to time in our sole discretion. In the event of such removal, there shall be no additional repayment of principal on the notes and there will be no addition of further or substitution collateral.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I also noticed this on the Uhaul site for notes backed by forklifts. It sounds so scary that I am thinking I must be misunderstanding it.
This is standard on all of their asset-backed notes. It is as a result of equipment potentially needing to be taken out of service due to aging out or damaged so as not to be repaired.

They do specifically address this in the FAQ:
Quote:
What if the collateral securing my U-NoteŽ is stolen, lost, damaged, destroyed or taken under a condemnation?

While any form of loss or damage to the asset will reduce the value of your collateral, AMERCO's obligation to repay the U-NoteŽ in full will continue to exist. In the event of a loss, you will remain secured in the remaining collateral securing your U-NoteŽ. AMERCO has no obligation to replace or repair collateral. In the event of such a loss, AMERCO will have the choice to redeem the remaining balance of the U-NoteŽ or to continue making the scheduled payments. Please refer to the prospectus and the prospectus supplements for more detailed information.