Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Everybody pays level 1 withholding taxes on dividends.

Using Ireland domiciled ETFs USA-NRAs pay 15% on USA equity dividends. 7.5% on non-USA developed equity dividends, and 11.2% on EM equity dividends.

Using USA domiciled ETFs a USA person pays 0% on USA equity dividends. Non-USA and EMs are the same.

If a USA person holds these USA domiciled non-USA equities in a taxable account, he can get a partial refund of these taxes by getting a "qualified dividend tax credit".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
One example: CUSIP 922908769 is Vanguard VTI. I can buy those through two different brokers (and have in fact owned it). So I don't understand your / Nuns comment about not being able to buy those. One clearly can. At least in Europe mainland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Here is a list of HMRC Reporting funds, which includes all/most of Vanguard's ETF's
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eporting-funds

In preparation for our move to the UK I have converted our VG MF's to VG ETF's.
I probably wasn't clear in my post. I didn't say that you can't buy VG ETF's once you are non-resident, but that I converted my existing VG Mutual Funds to ETFs before moving to the UK. That way the UK IRS won't treat them as PFICs.

I fully intend to continue to purchase VG ETF's while resident in the UK.