Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well that sounds frustrating.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #42

The latest update:

This is the big day for my SSA phone appointment at 10:30. I was down in my motor home gathering all my data to have for the appointment. While down there I saw that I got a call with the local area code at 9:27. No message left, but I wondered if it could be from SSA. I called the number back and sure enough it was from Social Security. The answering machine said the number was not in service and I should call their local office 800 number. I called that number at about 10:00 and it said the office was closed. It had a voice menu, but the first part of the menu was over written with a long message about fraudulent SSA phone calls. There was no way to talk to anyone or leave a message. By this time I am pretty sure blood pressure was in the instant heart attack range. My assumption was I had missed my appointment and I would have to start this mulit-month process all over again. As a last resort I called the national SSA number to find out if I could possibly get back in the queue for my appointment. After about a 35 minute delay I got to talk to a representative. She told me they were on a delayed opening at my local office due to snow and that I should wait for another hour to see if I got my appointment call. Sure enough, the phone appointment came through at about 11:30. I think it was about 15 minutes long. The next step is a letter from SSA stating all the data we went over. If there are any errors I need to correct them and send it back. Otherwise I just wait for the larger check to hit my bank account in March. I think I am happy, but I need to wait for my blood pressure to come back down to know for sure.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:49 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was gonna signup in person at the local office but. I guess Iíll need to sign up online.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...ene-story.html
Old 12-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #44

We did ours, file and suspend, on line. Easy peasy. Hopefully when we turn 70 it will be same when we switch to mine as primary and she takes half.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe the switch from SUSPEND to getting benefits will start automatically at age 70.

The switch from SPOUSAL to OWN benefit, however will take another online session....but should still be easy peasy (sp?) and you could submit it a few months early with a start date equal to age 70 birthdate.
levindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #46

I am very happy to report that the larger SS check hit my account today! I got notice that it would be showing up this month and that the smaller check from the late DW's account would cease a couple of weeks ago. I can log in to my SS account and see the breakdown. I'll have to run the tax software for next year's numbers and adjust the Federal withholding as needed.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:50 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats. That is one of those, “well, if I have to be 70, then at least this is one thing good about it”, kind of thing. It will be a bigger deal for us in 8 years, me going from no SS to max.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote