Nuclear power plant I am a dope

HFWR said:
Hell, give me a nucular power plant anyday... :p

You ain't kidding - I'd take the nuclear power plant over my in-laws, or heck, even MY family anyday!

You're more likely to get cancer from a coal burning power plant than a nuclear one - the coal plant emits much more radiation every year. Not to mention all the other crap it dumps in the air you breathe.

I think you're probably fine.   Nuclear power is pretty darn safe, and you're much more likely to die in a car accident (maybe get run over by some college girls gawking at your sweet self -:)

But I don't think Nuclear is safe enough that we as a country should invest in it.  The fact that it's not insurable says a lot.  If it were safe enough, it would be insurable.   As a software engineer who has spent a significant portion of my career debugging unexpected problems, I am confident that even the best designed system has a number of possible failure points.   The problem with Nuclear is that some failure cases are just unacceptable.  Very unlikely to be sure, but possible and unacceptable.

The Richmond petroleum refineries are 40 miles from me, and I'm on an email list that gets all the emergency notices that come out of them.   It's about every other month that they have a "nearby residents should shelter in place due to a leak" notice.  If they can get insurance with that track record, then Nuclear should be able to get insurance with its much better track record if it really is safe. 

I'm not sure the insurance thing is necessarily a red flag. It's probably just that in the extremely remote event of a catastrophic failure, the major insureres in the area would be devasted--like can happen in a series of severe hurricanes. Several insurers have stopped covering homes near the East coast--obviously it isn't too unsafe to live here. Like someone saidk, there's a federal insurance program (newguy, check to see if you need to sign up for it).

While I might not deliberately choose to live as close as 15 miles, once done I wouldn't stress about it (how does your wife feel? If she's waking up with nightmares and jumping whenever there's a siren or thunderclap, I might consider moving). Does the plant offer public tours? Familiarity might ease your concerns.

astromeria said:
Does the plant offer public tours? Familiarity might ease your concerns.
Again speaking as a nuke, familiarity might ease concerns but the education might triple them...

Nords said:
Again speaking as a nuke, familiarity might ease concerns but the education might triple them...

I know everything about them.

Like I said it was a one day thing and today i am over it.

newguy888 said:
I now live 15 miles from one, and only a small mortgage, and now NOW it bothers me. I move away from NYC only to wake up today after my 10 mile run and think I made a terrible mistake.
I need to go bang my head against the wall.
seriously, I feel like a dumb idiot, I am taking my early retirement as of jan 1 but I am just not excited about it.
i dunno, there are things we have no control over BUT I HAD CONTROL OVER where to move, $hit I should have been at least 50 miles from the darn plant.
Homeowners would not cover a cent IF we were able to flee from an accident, but my 300,000 would be well green as toast and never able to recoup a cent.
Wondaful.
Oh check this link out, I just found it a second after I posted this, IT FITS my thoughts!http://www.yahoo.com/s/368766  I need to move to the moon!

newguy888 said:
I know that it is a stupid and an irrational fear, I just am maybe a bit on edge with having to spend the next 4 months back up north finishing my contract out and then being early retired down here. I do like the area, less stress this has been a great 7 weeks since we sold the big house in NJ and got rid of the big mortgage, I sleep much better, but maybe it was seeing those cooling towers while on my kayak that well made me think I was a dope.

newguy888 said:
My head is gonna explode.
Man I am really not afraid of the plant blowing up melting down or a terrorist attack, i just wonder how stupid I was to drop 300,000 grand on a house 15 miles as the crow flys from that plant that I had said years ago I would not live near.
I had a choice and could have been 50 60 or 100 miles away, Coulda shoulda etc.
I don't know maybe its one of those august days when nothing seems right, Too Hot Too Humid, the lawn looks like cr@p, school starts in 3 weeks, I still have to work until dec 22 up in new jersey and I saw The Devil wears Prada and miss NYC Go figure.

newguy888 said:
Warren county, 50 miles from limmerick in pottstown pa and 90 from 3 mile Island, 100 to Indian point, 60 to Berwick Pa.
I am just concerned about the factor of putting all of the proceeds from my house into a place that could lose all value, insurance is a joke there is none.
I was not thinking here on this factor.
I will propbably stop beating myself up about this in the morning.
Hey, life is a gamble, I am Kool with it.

newguy888 said:
Yeppers
Hey get this I am a 50 YO white guy out running along route 401 just 20 mins ago and get wolf whistled at by a car full of blond college age gals.
It must be the radiation around these parts, or I still got it!
Got what though?l

newguy888 said:
Oh no doubt, Heck I moved near the wifes parents and sister.
I knew what it would be like, the wife wanted to be near them IF we were going to move and I have no regrets.
BUT, you hit the nail on the head, moving away from an area that I lived in for 50 years is harder than I thought.
I will survive and prosper, I just needed to vent today.
Happy hour has arrived, Time for a belt and wind down from my idiotic rant.

newguy888 said:
I know everything about them.
Like I said it was a one day thing and today i am over it.
I will delete this thread in a few hours.
I really wish you wouldn't change the record.

You received three pages of responses from people who took the time to make an effort to answer your questions and assuage your concerns.  Deleting your input to the thread renders their feedback unreadable and essentially guts the thread.  I don't think it's fair to their commitment to remove your posts.

It also confuses the heck out of the people who haven't read any of the thread yet, and it means that we can't refer back to this thread if a similar question comes up in the future.

Because of the abuse overuse of this practice by one or two notable others, posters are able to edit their posts but not to delete them.

Oh

I will leave her.

Sorry I was trying to be a clean up person after a messy evening.

Hey lets keep the thread.

Sorry Nords.

I do see your point. Thanks !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom