Votes: 0 0.0%
  • down 50-75%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hey, I am dieing broke

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

tryan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Always wondered how the FIRE'd NW has survived the test of time.

Only having been FIRE'd since Oct ... we're ABOUT EVEN.

tryan said:
We started in June 2002 so the burn rate has been more than compensated for by the recovery.

tryan said:

Only having been FIRE'd since Oct ... we're ABOUT EVEN.

The NW should be adjusted for inflation.  That's implied, correct?

I'm still working, so no vote from me.

Sam said:
The NW should be adjusted for inflation.  That's implied, correct?
Let's not start up with that crap again.

Everybody just pick two freakin' numbers, no matter whether it accounts for GAAP's version of net worth or your own, even including the NPV of your beaver-cheese futures, and cast your votes.

The NW should be adjusted for inflation. That's implied, correct?

If you feel better keeping it "real" ... go for it. With the brackets swinging in 25% intervals can't imagine too many will be affected (unless you've been FIRE'd for 10+ years).

I am more than double, but I had the good fortune to retire into a what may turn out to be the best bull market of our lifetimes.

And no, I have no current plans to spend more.

Ha

Nords said:

:confused:  I don't understand?  Why is it crap?

On this board, everyone is constantly reminded of the effect of inflation.  Am I missing something?

Sam said:
:confused:  I don't understand?  Why is it crap?
I'm referring to the board's never-ending ability to nitpick a topic's vocabulary to death, including our perpetual inability to agree on a single definition for financial calculations.

I think the OP was just wondering what our qualitative feel was for our financial situation after ER as opposed to ER. I don't think we were intended to get into an analysis of whether we should use CPI-U, CPI-W, or some other personal definition of inflation. Or net worth. Or expenses. Or volatility. Or duration. Or... but you get the idea.

I retired three years ago;  our nestegg has appreciated approximately 66% since that time.  Part was due to the large increase in market since Feb 2003 and part due to our still stashing cash into retirement savings while DW continues to work - just one more year for her work!

JohnP

Hmmm

Net worth up almost five fold in 13 yrs. Good old 'time in the market' AND the 90's were a great decade for both stocks and bonds - aka balanced index.

heh heh heh

My networth increases are not keeping up with expenses.

I have a burn rate of about 3.8%. 

However, I was not counting on the lowest interest rates in decades in my retirement planning.   :confused:

My networth is up so far this year by 11.5% but I am talking on a lot more risk then I am comfortable with.   :p

But my expenses are rising at a rate of about 12%.  (Biggest expense gainers;  health insurance (32%), dental insurance (29%), property taxes (14%) and electric (8%)). Car repair is up 82% I had to replace all four tires but hopefully that was a one time thing.

Danger Will Robinson Danger.   :LOL:

Perhaps a poll on the annualized change in NW would tell us more. A NW that doubles in one month tells a different story from one that doubles in 10 years.

TromboneAl said:
Perhaps a poll on the annualized change in NW would tell us more.  A NW that doubles in one month tells a different story from one that doubles in 10 years.

Absolutely. If you are retired and your net worth doubled in one month, you took it all to a roulette went and went black.

OTOH, if it doubled in 10 years, you are doing OK.

Ha

Nords said:

Everybody just pick two freakin' numbers, no matter whether it accounts for GAAP's version of net worth or your own, even including the NPV of your f*zzy-b*nny futures, and cast your votes.

Not to add flame to the fire...

My graduate level accounting PhD instructor last night strongly suggested that for personal financial planning purposes, the proper way to do a net worth statement was to add a line at the very bottom for the tax liability that would be incurred if one liquidated all of one's assets and had to pay taxes (including 10% early withdrawal penalties on IRA's, federal and state taxes, etc.). Personally I'll do the work for the class to figure it out, but I think it's next to useless. I've never heard of a business calculating their enterprise value that way.

2Cor521

SecondCor521 said:
My graduate level accounting PhD instructor last night strongly suggested that for personal financial planning purposes, the proper way to do a net worth statement...
I've never heard of a business calculating their enterprise value that way.
Me either, but he'd fit in well with this crowd.

I wonder if GAAP has ever heard of your instructor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom