obtaining old w2s

kongmen

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm trying to use my workplaces "catchup" provision on their Roth 457 but they need to show that I underutilized it many years ago. I guess the only way to show that I underutilized it is with old w2s (prior to 2014). I tried getting them from my HR department and after a month+ of looking they said they don't go back that far and that I should check with the IRS. From what I understand the IRS only goes back ten years. Does anyone have an idea if there is a way to go back farther at the IRS?

Thanks for any replies.

Cathy might know, but if you, your employers and the IRS don't have them then I suspect you are never going to be able to find them.

Any chance OP uses software for your taxes? You would not have the actual w-2, but the saved pdf file in TT has all the data.

Good point if they used tax software in the past and either imported or type in their W-2 information. I guess it depnds on how authoritative the information needs to be.

Cathy might know, but if you, your employers and the IRS don't have them then I suspect you are never going to be able to find them.

No, I don't know of any way you can get them past 10 years.

I think the IRS does have them somewhere, because there are some extreme fraud cases where they are not limited to 10 years, but they're not available to normal people.

I'd check the IRS transcript system. I know they have considerable history - I have helped taxpayers do tax return for several prior years. I do not know how far back the transcript would go.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/transcript-types-and-ways-to-order-them

Taxpayers can only get IRS data from the past 10 years.

It just occurred to me to check SSA, and it turns out that they probably do have what you need, but it will cost you. https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02501

We can give you copies or printouts of your Forms W-2 for any year from 1978 to the present. You can get free copies if you need them for a Social Security-related reason. But there is a fee of $126 per request if you need them for an unrelated reason.

Thanks for all the replies. My awesome Dw found many of the needed w2s in her records. I'm not sure yet if it'll be enough but if not I'll look into the recommendations that y'all graciously posted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom