Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing the great feeling of the first Monday after FIRE.
ut2sua is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2020, 05:52 AM   #22
gone traveling

It feels SO good. The gift of time is priceless.

AGREE....this, for us, has been the biggest blessing of retirement.....Congratulations and enjoy all the future Monday's!
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Fantastic! Congratulations!

It took months and years - but now I've settled into a routine I end up following if I have nothing else planned for the day. Which is most days. I really enjoy my slow breakfast followed by a news catchup from my recliner.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations!
It is so wonderful to spend your time however you wish.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations and enjoy!
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

What I'm finding so odd is that everyday feels like a weekend day and we're only midweek in the first full week of retirement. It's great and discombobulating all at the same time.
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #27

What day is it again? seems to be a common question at our house!

Unless you have an appointment, it doesn't really matter anymore. Enjoy your days.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

To be fair with the pandemic, even those of us who are working keep saying "What day is it?" :P
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

nice; monday is my new favorite day
Old 10-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
What day is it again? seems to be a common question at our house!

Unless you have an appointment, it doesn't really matter anymore. Enjoy your days.
Need a day of the week clock.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:56 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!
whatnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!

Every day is a holiday!
GR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady saver View Post
What I'm finding so odd is that everyday feels like a weekend day and we're only midweek in the first full week of retirement. It's great and discombobulating all at the same time.
That's exactly how I've felt since retiring August of last year. Just feels like Saturday, or if DH made blueberry pancakes for breakfast, it feels like Sunday...but without that annoying Sunday night anxiety! No feeling like I "should be doing something" or am missing anything.

Cheers to the endless weekend!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #34

I almost can’t even remember working nor do I think about it and only retired sine 9/18. Husband just retired 12/31/19. Then we moved out of state.

Day to day life just seems “ normal” ( except for the COVID stuff). We just moved a month before the virus lockdown hit, so at first it was depressing but our location choice was a good one in terms of keeping us socialized (ironically) and busy.

If I think about it I get a little anxious because we are living off savings only right now and with no paychecks or pension or SS income coming in it’s scary. I am 64 and hubby is 66. So I find I procrastinate looking at my finances as much as I used to. But so far so good.

I’m never going back to work I can tell you that.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Congratulations. It will take some time to sink in, but after a few weeks of just goofing off you can think about a new type of structure for your day. (Excercise/nap/walk in the park/nap/visit friends/nap/see a movie-post covid/gardening etc)
Anyone else noticing a theme in Al’s post? Someone really likes naps!

I second that idea as I think nothing says leisure than the ability to take a nap whenever I feel like it. Just make sure there is the walking or exercise too. Just back from my 4.5 mile walk and kind of want another nap!
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #36

Congratulations!

Not having to go to work on Monday or experience that Sunday night dread is arguably the biggest gift of retirement!
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:49 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

First 'free' Monday....haha, little do you know that Home Depot is about to become your best friend.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
I almost can’t even remember working nor do I think about it and only retired sine 9/18. Husband just retired 12/31/19. Then we moved out of state.

Day to day life just seems “ normal” ( except for the COVID stuff). We just moved a month before the virus lockdown hit, so at first it was depressing but our location choice was a good one in terms of keeping us socialized (ironically) and busy.

If I think about it I get a little anxious because we are living off savings only right now and with no paychecks or pension or SS income coming in it’s scary. I am 64 and hubby is 66. So I find I procrastinate looking at my finances as much as I used to. But so far so good.

I’m never going back to work I can tell you that.
Very interesting. While I quickly adapted to FIRE, I can't say I stopped thinking about w*rk very quickly. We had a thread regarding "dreaming" about w*rk. While after 15 years it's rare (now) to dream about w*rk, dreaming about w*rk was fairly common shortly after FIRE. For the MOST part, my recollections about w*rk and my dreams about w*rk were neutral or positive! I don't think I would consider thinking or even dreaming about w*rk as much of an issue to me, though it might be to others since YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Very interesting. While I quickly adapted to FIRE, I can't say I stopped thinking about w*rk very quickly. We had a thread regarding "dreaming" about w*rk. While after 15 years it's rare (now) to dream about work, dreaming about work was fairly common shortly after FIRE. For the MOST part, my recollections about w*rk and my dreams about w*rk were neutral or positive! I don't think I would consider thinking or even dreaming about w*rk as much of an issue to me, though it might be to others since YMMV.

Waking up after a dream about work is absolute joy....and if that so happens to be on a Monday? utter bliss

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #40
Administrator

I never dreamed about work even when I was working. And I sure haven't given a single thought to it since I left 17 months ago. I do occasionally have a dream about the Navy, which I left in 1986.