Officially retired. First free Monday.

What I'm finding so odd is that everyday feels like a weekend day and we're only midweek in the first full week of retirement. It's great and discombobulating all at the same time.

What day is it again? seems to be a common question at our house!:LOL:

Unless you have an appointment, it doesn't really matter anymore. Enjoy your days.

What day is it again? seems to be a common question at our house!:LOL:

Unless you have an appointment, it doesn't really matter anymore. Enjoy your days.

Need a day of the week clock.

What I'm finding so odd is that everyday feels like a weekend day and we're only midweek in the first full week of retirement. It's great and discombobulating all at the same time.

That's exactly how I've felt since retiring August of last year. Just feels like Saturday, or if DH made blueberry pancakes for breakfast, it feels like Sunday...but without that annoying Sunday night anxiety! No feeling like I "should be doing something" or am missing anything.

Cheers to the endless weekend! :clap:

I almost can’t even remember working nor do I think about it and only retired sine 9/18. Husband just retired 12/31/19. Then we moved out of state.

Day to day life just seems “ normal” ( except for the COVID stuff). We just moved a month before the virus lockdown hit, so at first it was depressing but our location choice was a good one in terms of keeping us socialized (ironically) and busy.

If I think about it I get a little anxious because we are living off savings only right now and with no paychecks or pension or SS income coming in it’s scary. I am 64 and hubby is 66. So I find I procrastinate looking at my finances as much as I used to. But so far so good.

I’m never going back to work I can tell you that.

Congratulations. It will take some time to sink in, but after a few weeks of just goofing off you can think about a new type of structure for your day. (Excercise/nap/walk in the park/nap/visit friends/nap/see a movie-post covid/gardening etc)

Anyone else noticing a theme in Al’s post? Someone really likes naps!

I second that idea as I think nothing says leisure than the ability to take a nap whenever I feel like it. Just make sure there is the walking or exercise too. Just back from my 4.5 mile walk and kind of want another nap!

Congratulations!

Not having to go to work on Monday or experience that Sunday night dread is arguably the biggest gift of retirement!

I almost can’t even remember working nor do I think about it and only retired sine 9/18. Husband just retired 12/31/19. Then we moved out of state.

Day to day life just seems “ normal” ( except for the COVID stuff). We just moved a month before the virus lockdown hit, so at first it was depressing but our location choice was a good one in terms of keeping us socialized (ironically) and busy.

If I think about it I get a little anxious because we are living off savings only right now and with no paychecks or pension or SS income coming in it’s scary. I am 64 and hubby is 66. So I find I procrastinate looking at my finances as much as I used to. But so far so good.

I’m never going back to work I can tell you that.

Very interesting. While I quickly adapted to FIRE, I can't say I stopped thinking about w*rk very quickly. We had a thread regarding "dreaming" about w*rk. While after 15 years it's rare (now) to dream about w*rk, dreaming about w*rk was fairly common shortly after FIRE. For the MOST part, my recollections about w*rk and my dreams about w*rk were neutral or positive! I don't think I would consider thinking or even dreaming about w*rk as much of an issue to me, though it might be to others since YMMV.

Last edited:
Very interesting. While I quickly adapted to FIRE, I can't say I stopped thinking about w*rk very quickly. We had a thread regarding "dreaming" about w*rk. While after 15 years it's rare (now) to dream about work, dreaming about work was fairly common shortly after FIRE. For the MOST part, my recollections about w*rk and my dreams about w*rk were neutral or positive! I don't think I would consider thinking or even dreaming about w*rk as much of an issue to me, though it might be to others since YMMV.

Waking up after a dream about work is absolute joy....and if that so happens to be on a Monday? utter bliss :D

I never dreamed about work even when I was working. And I sure haven't given a single thought to it since I left 17 months ago. I do occasionally have a dream about the Navy, which I left in 1986.

Last edited:
Woo hoo!!!

...It feels SO good. The gift of time is priceless...

I think we're going to love this new life...:)

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. Enjoy the beginning of extra time.

If you are up to it, volunteer a little to help a cause that you are passionate about or just to help.

PS let us know how sleeping-in is Mon-Fri :)

Suggestions:

#1 See your doctor and ask this question:

What can I do to extend my life expectancy? Follow your doctor's recommendations to the letter. Normally diet and exercise and maintaining a health BMI. Your doctor may give you a handout on how much exercise and what to eat and what to avoid. However, a lot of people ignore these recommendations. If you are overweight then set up goals. If you are not, then maintain your weight and eat a healthy diet.

#2: Next time you see your dentist, then ask this question:

What can I do to prevent gum disease? I did...and she recommend brushing your teeth with an electric toothbrush for 4 minutes! Most people stop after one minute of brushing so she suggested listening to music since a typical song last about 2 minutes 30 seconds. If you stop before the song ends, then you may have gum disease in the future.

#3: Have lunch with your co-workers and family and friends.

Your job was a source of stimulation and depression. The depression part is now gone but you should look for new ways of stimulation such as travel, hobbies, volunteer work, teaching, tutoring, reaching out to your neighbors since you have more time, more family time, etc In other words, use your brain. Use it or lose it! Focus on making new friends in retirement.

Good luck!

Last edited:
This is interesting. DH is retiring in the next few weeks. We were both planning to retire, but due to uncertainty I am going to keep working. We can live off my salary easily, and I am enjoying my job right now. DH is planning to take on more housework and also to ride his bike more. It does seem like we won’t see a big difference in our schedule until I retire as well. Maybe after he retires I will stop enjoying my job so much -ha!

Congratulations! I think you'll find it gets better over time.

I "rehired" (left the long-hours corporate job and started doing handyman work...phasing down from 32 hours/week in 2013 to 4-8 hours/week now mainly for beer and sports car money lol) 8 years ago at age 51 and each time I reduce the hours I spend on w*rk it feels better.

I continue the handyman stuff because I enjoy it, and I can pick and choose my jobs easily now.

I just realized it's been exactly one month since DH's last day of work. Mentally wrapping his mind around it BEFORE he retired was a little tricky, despite planning it for years. It took maybe a few days to get used to the new routine. He texted a former co-worker who had retired a few years ago and asked her "what was the name of that company again?" :LOL:

We just got back from a carefully planned trip to my parents to celebrate my dad's 90th birthday. We're still getting our footing on our days (going to bed later some nights but sleeping later the next mornings if we do). We are both morning people but we've slept until 9:00 some days and I don't feel one bit guilty about it. I love retirement!!!!

This is exactly what I am looking forward to when I retire.

Congrats!!!

Back
Top Bottom