Join Early Retirement Today

Oil Bubble --- getting bigger, when will it pop
Old 06-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oil Bubble --- getting bigger, when will it pop

I have been hearing more about the oil bubble. As supply begins to increase, people begin to conserve (through a variety of means)... experts are beginning to predict it will pop (like the housing and tech bubbles).

The claim is that once everyone begins talking about how things have really changed fundamentally... those are early signs.

Apparently, the claim is that there is no oil shortage... world demand is being met. The weak $ and speculation is the main culprit of price increases.

Commodity prices in general will subside once it happens.

It seems that another indicator is the increase in commodity based mutual funds and ETFs... the small investor are often the last to enter the market and be left holding the bag.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I do think that there is a strong bubble component to the increases in oil prices this spring. My (uninformed) thoughts are that politics may play a part, and after the election, things could level off considerably.

But you know how THAT is - - the price of gas may stabilize while the dollar inflates, but it would surprise me if the actual dollar price of gas decreased.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

In my myopic view of the oil markets, oil companies are using the investors as shills to bid up the price. As long as everyone keeps the ball rolling the price will go up. Oil companies have no reason to keep prices down because they don't pay the bill for the end product, the customer does. The more the customer pays the more investors and oil companies make. Just that simple.

All it will take is one thing to redirect investment money away from oil and the bubble will go POOF, just like housing. Maybe it will come from reduced demand that has the oil companies swimming in so much black ooze they will be running out of places to put it.

Like kidney stones and constipation, the oil bubble will pass.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
In my myopic view of the oil markets, oil companies are using the investors as shills to bid up the price. As long as everyone keeps the ball rolling the price will go up. Oil companies have no reason to keep prices down because they don't pay the bill for the end product, the customer does. The more the customer pays the more investors and oil companies make. Just that simple.

All it will take is one thing to redirect investment money away from oil and the bubble will go POOF, just like housing. Maybe it will come from reduced demand that has the oil companies swimming in so much black ooze they will be running out of places to put it.

I think you should be an economist on CNBC............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Having differing views from those expressed has proven extremely profitable since I began overweighting energy in 2002. Continues to be in 2008 as well.

Tom
tomintucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintucson View Post
Having differing views from those expressed has proven extremely profitable since I began overweighting energy in 2002. Continues to be in 2008 as well.

Tom
Let me guess, you shorted the NASDAQ on 1/2/00, Shorted all the indexes on 9/10/01, went long on 10/10/02, etc............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintucson View Post

Tom
I think overweighting ANYTHING in 2002 was extemely profitable!
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The problem is supply is NOT increasing as fast as global demand.
That being said, I do believe there is a small bubble. We may see a correction back to $110 or even $100. Long term oil will continue to rise as long as we have a larger global demand than global supply.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If the automakers continue aggressively developing hybrid and alternative fuel cars (the most visible response to oil prices, imho) and wind/solar/nuclear energy sources come to the forefront politically both for energy and environmental reason, oil could become the new coal within a generation. Perhaps big oil would be smart to drop prices at least slightly in an attempt to thwart those developments. And we would be smart to ignore that ploy and continue developing the alternatives.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oil will drop in price when the Feds tighten the money supply.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Mr. FinanceDude,

I think my statement was pretty simple, with no "let me guess" about it. I said that I have been overweight energy (very significantly, via Vanguard Energy) since 2002. This position has proven extremely profitable relative to the broader markets, for six years running. I in no way meant to suggest that I am as intelligent as yourself.

Tom
tomintucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Oil as any other commodity is subject to price fluctuations. So it may retrace down to $120 or so as seasonal effects take hold. But it bears little resemblance to the housing bubble in fundamentals. There we had "free money" fueling greed and panic with agents to instill fear of losing out.

Here we have declining supply and spiking demand. Sure we can drive less and so use less but what is going to suppress demand in India and China? One effect is if these countries all drop any subsidies and that will dampen demand. On a broad enough base, a reduction in demand will reduce the price. For sure, price will eventually limit demand...
Old 06-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, oil companies can't "foil" alternate energy research because they really don't have control over price. They will continue to discover new oil, but the locations will be more difficult and more expensive to recover from. I think $4 gas will be looked back upon fondly in the near future.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

One of the predictions in Amazon.com: Beyond Oil: The View from Hubbert's Peak: Kenneth S. Deffeyes: Books is that we'll see wild fluctuations in the price of oil.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Consider the 70s

after those huge increases, it still took many recessions and years for the price to fall which it did only as demand was eliminated, efficiency improved, and non-opec oil expanded. This is actually a good year for supply additions. The next several will only be tighter as production falls below replacement. Developing countries dropping their subsidies will help as will slower growth. Consumers are responding. It should ease off after summer and a warm winter would help, but I expect considerable fluctuations.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

In the consumer solar industry (home power), Big Oil or private equity have bought up all of the respected manufacturers in the last ten years. Big Oil is in the energy business regardless of the source, and the oligarchy is not going to fade with the demise of oil. I'm sure the oil industry is aware of how the leather industry faded out about a hundred years ago.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The long term trend, IMO, is up for the foreseeable future. However, I think the recent runup is way overdone relative to the fundamentals. And even when the oil bubble pops, the price will still settle at a permanent plateau which is considerably higher than where prices were 1-2 years ago.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post

I disagree with most of your points, but I agree with your last. There are elements of a bubble in the price of crude, and crude is a large factor in the price we see at the pump.

However, like any business, oil companies have incentives to keep the price down at every step of the process. And actually, the profit margins of these companies are not particularly impressive. The large absolute amount of profits they have been reaching is merely a function of the gargantuan size of their operation. I'm glad they do business, otherwise gas would be even harder to find, and more expensive!

Abreutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the chart. Throwing oil companies under the bus makes for good populist speeches by politicians, but not much sense. Their profit margin is just not that high, and taxing them more will only hurt those we are allegedly concerned about.

What we do need is an energy plan measured in decades, not quarters, that funds alternatives in the long term. BP reports that oil production declined 0.2% last year, while consumption was up 1.1%. The 1.24 Trillion barrels of proven oil reserves is enough to sustain current consumption levels for 41 years. But I bet that last billion will be a lot more expensive to extract than the first, and consumption will only continue to grow as China and India continue to modernize. My next car may be a scooter.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I just came across an article in the NYTimes today about speculation and its affect on prices. It sums up a lot of my general thoughts (which is why I'm posting it).

Speculators Under Scrutiny in Commodities Market Volatility - NYTimes.com
Abreutime is offline   Reply With Quote