Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
Here's how I've been manually updating stock prices in Moneydance since the Yahoo interface broke. The Moneydance Summary page (first page you see when you launch MD) shows a list of stock prices. It shows only the ones I own. I click on the price and it pops up the price history window where I can enter the current price. I never see the hundreds of stocks I used to but no longer own.

If it shows stocks you no longer own, click on the stock, click Edit, then uncheck "Show on Summary Page".
Thanks much. That's very helpful.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
... The main question in my mind is whether I am missing something useful/valuable by foregoing one of these packaged solutions.
There is nothing that I do in Quicken that I couldn't also do in Excel if I were sufficiently motivated. When I was working, I didn't have the time and energy to create my own financial tracking system and now that I'm retired, I find I just have other things I'd rather do. Just like it's worth it to some people to pay a service like Blue Apron to do their meal planning and shopping, it's worth it to me to pay someone else a reasonable amount (which I define as under $100/year) to build and maintain a tool that helps me track my finances.

I will give you a list of some of the Quicken features I find valuable, but you will probably say that you have either already invested the effort to ryo, or that these are things that aren't relevant for your situation. Similarly, if somebody comes along and says that some other tool does everything I do with Quicken and it's free so obviously I should switch, I will just laugh, because the value of the time I would spend on having to resolve data issues and learn a new tool is worth far more to me than the actual cost of Quicken.

So all that said, here are the main features I use that I can think of off the top of my head:

- automatic downloads of bank, credit card, investment account transactions (I have a lot of accounts and transactions, this saves me at least a couple hours of manual entry every month plus it prevents typos that are hard to find later)
- automatic categorization of all downloaded transactions for tracking spending
- easy manual recategorization of individual transactions from the default with 2 or 3 keystrokes (e.g. to move a restaurant meal from dining to travel:dining)
- tax reports, especially for Schedules A and E. I also use the B and D reports for tax planning late in the year.
- various portfolio views help me decide what to sell and what to hold
- scheduled credits and debits
- lifetime planner
- track the cost basis for home and rental properties
- research (what year did we replace the windows? what store did we get that little table from?)
- as the treasurer for both HOAs where we own condos, I also keep the finances for each association in their own Quicken files and produce annual budgets and cash flow reports for the other owners as well as the report that is input for the HOA tax returns
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #43

MoneyDance is open source? But the trial version is crippleware? Does purchase get you all future versions?

I'm still using MYM (anybody remember that?). Andy Tobias, the financial author, repped for it. NationsBank (now BofA) bought it out, and later abandoned it. None of the online syncing works any more of course. I'd need to write my own macros to enter historical transactions if I migrated. Right now, I need to run it in a WinXP virtual machine... won't run directly in Win7. But it still works. Not perfect, but it's the devil I know.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #44

I'm still using MS Money. Believe me, I've tried to find a replacement. Moneydance is pretty high on the list. But the old MS product just keeps working and I'm too lazy to change.

The thing about MS Money is that it was originally created in the days when programmers cared about ease of use. By that I mean, once you got used to the product, everything was done with minimal effort. One key, or one click. Now products are designed to be easy for first-timers to figure out. That's a different thing. It's not unusual to have to click, drag, open, reply to a prompt, type, etc. just to do one step. Even if you do that step a hundred times a day.

The last version of MS Money I have (97) started going down that path. Every time I click to "balance" (reconcile) an account, it pops up a window explaining to me all the reasons I might want to do that. Even if I've done it 1,000 times before. They also dumbed down the reports, making it easier to just pick a canned one, and harder to develop your own.

That said, there are things I still like. Screens open up where you left off. Fields are pre-filled with the most likely data from recent entries. You can do addition, multiplication and subtraction in any dollar-amount field. You can hit + or - in any date field to change the day. There are tons of tiny features like this which you just don't see in any product today. It's so much easier to hit + a couple of times than to wait for a calendar window to display, move to the day and month you want, and then close the window.

I never did any automatic downloads or uploads, so I don't care if that works or not. I like to keep my own records, then reconcile with the monthly statement.

The only thing that's missing would be the ability to make entries on my cell phone. But I don't want to store my financial data on any cloud service I don't control, so that's probably out of the question for any commercial product anyway.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
MoneyDance is open source? But the trial version is crippleware? Does purchase get you all future versions?

I'm still using MYM (anybody remember that?). Andy Tobias, the financial author, repped for it. NationsBank (now BofA) bought it out, and later abandoned it. None of the online syncing works any more of course. I'd need to write my own macros to enter historical transactions if I migrated. Right now, I need to run it in a WinXP virtual machine... won't run directly in Win7. But it still works. Not perfect, but it's the devil I know.
MoneyDance is a commercial product, not opensource.

I think MYM was one of the first financials programs I used.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #46

I just bought the 27-month subscription to Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property 2018 Release for $95.

It was higher last week.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'd like to try Moneydance, but I'm fearful I'll just end up with the same issues Quicken had (I ended up returning Q for a refund and deleting all my files).

The different log-in requirements for different accounts - some requiring multiple security words, numbers, images - just flummoxed Quicken. Vanguard and T. Rowe Price loaded pretty reliably, but Q. couldn't even find my credit union or some other accounts, nor could it find all my credit cards. And if I'm going to have to manually input 75% of my transactions, what's the point of financial software?
Most of my accounts I download the transactions by importing a QFX file. I much prefer this approach as I don't have to enter a password via Quicken,
Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I admit I don't let it download anything because I would never give one bit of software the password for another, so I enter transactions manually. I don't mind that a bit; it's one of the advantage of being retired.
Can't it import QFX files? Then it can get the data without passwords.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
There is nothing that I do in Quicken that I couldn't also do in Excel if I were sufficiently motivated. When I was working, I didn't have the time and energy to create my own financial tracking system and now that I'm retired, I find I just have other things I'd rather do. Just like it's worth it to some people to pay a service like Blue Apron to do their meal planning and shopping, it's worth it to me to pay someone else a reasonable amount (which I define as under $100/year) to build and maintain a tool that helps me track my finances.

I will give you a list of some of the Quicken features I find valuable, but you will probably say that you have either already invested the effort to ryo, or that these are things that aren't relevant for your situation. Similarly, if somebody comes along and says that some other tool does everything I do with Quicken and it's free so obviously I should switch, I will just laugh, because the value of the time I would spend on having to resolve data issues and learn a new tool is worth far more to me than the actual cost of Quicken.

So all that said, here are the main features I use that I can think of off the top of my head:

- automatic downloads of bank, credit card, investment account transactions (I have a lot of accounts and transactions, this saves me at least a couple hours of manual entry every month plus it prevents typos that are hard to find later)
- automatic categorization of all downloaded transactions for tracking spending
- easy manual recategorization of individual transactions from the default with 2 or 3 keystrokes (e.g. to move a restaurant meal from dining to travel:dining)
- tax reports, especially for Schedules A and E. I also use the B and D reports for tax planning late in the year.
- various portfolio views help me decide what to sell and what to hold
- scheduled credits and debits
- lifetime planner
- track the cost basis for home and rental properties
- research (what year did we replace the windows? what store did we get that little table from?)
Agree with you 100%. Just picked up 2 year Quicken Premier "subscription" for $60, that's $2.50/mo. Even as frugal as I am, I can afford that and think it's quite a bargain. The alternative is spending time converting/reconciling accounts into something new, manipulating stock quote entries, creating spreadsheets, etc. And at the end of all that I end up with something that is functionally subpar compared to Quicken and I'm not even sure it's any less expensive option. I now have a new assortment of issues to troubleshoot and resolve (as they say I'd rather deal with the devil I know than the devil I don't). PASS!

I did financial analysis and created complex spreadsheets for almost all of my career. I retired from w*rk just 2 years ago so sitting in front of a computer screen to build something that cost me $2.50/mo just doesn't make sense to me. With the time I save by keeping Quicken I'll more than make up by better management of my investments along with better understanding of taxes, how to save on health care costs, etc. On top of that I have more time to things that are FUN!
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Agree with you 100%. Just picked up 2 year Quicken Premier "subscription" for $60, that's $2.50/mo. Even as frugal as I am, I can afford that and think it's quite a bargain.
I will probably do the same. Even after having swallowed the red pill, I think this is the best course of action. I waste more money on other subscriptions (a trade magazine for my hobby, but don't have time to read) that I can and should cut out first.

Get this, I saw all the hints about this 2 yr good deal and almost did it! But first I checked my Quicken, and it is 2016. That means it is good until 2019, usually April. I almost bought something I didn't need, just out of the excitement of a good deal.

Now, only 18 more months of clicking through that upgrade reminder...
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #51

I currently have Quicken99 running on a 1998 Dell desktop. I update my data at the end of the month. I've been wanting to update for years but never really motivated because of several reasons. Both CD burners don't work, and the data won't back up on an external CD reader/burner, but will back up on 3.5 disks. Don't know if my Quicken data, if transferred to one of my laptops, will work on a new version of Quicken.

I think my only way to transfer is to email the Qdata to myself, then open on my newer devices. I don't know if my 18 years of data will be recoverable or even usable with a new program.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I currently have Quicken99 running on a 1998 Dell desktop. I update my data at the end of the month. I've been wanting to update for years but never really motivated because of several reasons. Both CD burners don't work, and the data won't back up on an external CD reader/burner, but will back up on 3.5 disks. Don't know if my Quicken data, if transferred to one of my laptops, will work on a new version of Quicken.

I think my only way to transfer is to email the Qdata to myself, then open on my newer devices. I don't know if my 18 years of data will be recoverable or even usable with a new program.
1999 is about the time that data was not up-gradable to the new version. You may need an interim version first.

I own Quicken 2017 and just upgraded to 2018. My finances are worth it.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I will probably do the same. Even after having swallowed the red pill, I think this is the best course of action. I waste more money on other subscriptions (a trade magazine for my hobby, but don't have time to read) that I can and should cut out first.

Get this, I saw all the hints about this 2 yr good deal and almost did it! But first I checked my Quicken, and it is 2016. That means it is good until 2019, usually April. I almost bought something I didn't need, just out of the excitement of a good deal.

Now, only 18 more months of clicking through that upgrade reminder...
Just FYI, "subscription" starts when you install and activate it. So.... you could buy now and hold it. If price is $25 higher in 18 months you achieved 25+% annual return And depending on if you are using the bill pay service you save more than the cost of the subscription. And you also get free premium support, so perhaps worth the price of starting subscription early.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I am so fed up of Quicken asking me to upgrade EVERY time I start it (after a day) regardless of me telling it to go away and not remind me ever again, it is such invasive marketing.

I do not and will not use a cloud based system, IMHO it is simply an unsafe place for MY personal financial data. I worked in IT for 40 years the last 10 involved cloud based systems and services. I could share so many stories about the cloud, but this is not the forum. So please do not comment on my decision not to use it, or turn this post into a cloud discussion. I turn off any cloud based utilities offered such a MS Cloud products etc. To me a 1tb high speed SSD does the job fine and fits in my safe. I would rather use an Abacus than the cloud.

OK 'nuff said about that. The reason for this post is the that only REAL alternative for for ME on a PC (Sorry no Macs) is Moneydance. Does anyone have any info or opinions on it? It seems to support OFX and QFX.
I would never move all my consolidated financial information to a cloud based system. Try this from Microsoft. It's free and does not expire. I have been using MS Money since 1989. They stopped supporting it in 2011 and offered the 20 million or so users a sunset edition that never expires. I had the Money 2007 edition at the time. I have been using it since 2011 without any issues. I download transactions from my banks without any issues.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=20738

There is an active community supporting the product with add on scripts to get stock quotes automatically. Best of all, it's all free.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I would never move all my consolidated financial information to a cloud based system. Try this from Microsoft. It's free and does not expire. I have been using MS Money since 1989. They stopped supporting it in 2011 and offered the 20 million or so users a sunset edition that never expires. I had the Money 2007 edition at the time. I have been using it since 2011 without any issues. I download transactions from my banks without any issues.

There is an active community supporting the product with add on scripts to get stock quotes automatically. Best of all, it's all free.
This is the Absolute BEST suggestion yet. Thank you.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is the Absolute BEST suggestion yet. Thank you.
Except for two things: It does not run on any Windows version newer than Win 7 and FP programs have advanced quite a bit in the past six plus years. I used MM for many (10+) years and find that I miss nothing by using Moneydance and have so much more.

BTW, MD gives you the choice of having everything on a local hard drive or using the cloud. I, personally, in spite of the MD recommendation against it, use the Cloud option by keeping everything in my Dropbox folder. We travel quite a bit and find it useful to have access to the program wherever we happen to be... and on several different devices. I have to trust that Dropbox security is good enough for our data. Oh! Yeah, there is a backup of that data automatically stored locally each time the program is closed... for those afraid Dropbox will go out of business.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Except for two things: It does not run on any Windows version newer than Win 7 and FP programs have advanced quite a bit in the past six plus years.
I just loaded it on Windows 10 and it seems to be OK. I am going to try a test account and do what I normally do then see.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just loaded it on Windows 10 and it seems to be OK. I am going to try a test account and do what I normally do then see.
Yeah, I could be wrong about that. I took it off the Link given above. It was, most like, posted long before Windows 10 was released. And Win 10 would be backward compatible... in most cases. I apologize for the lack of research on my part.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #59

At the risk of changing the topic. (It was mine as the OPer at least, Pretend it say Moneydance & MS Money Plus.. LOL) the first item I find after loading a QIF file from my quicken is that there is only a Payee fields as opposed to a Payee and a Description. I may not have found it yet. I like to track Payee, Memo & Category. But I am sure moving to any program would be the same.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post

FYI - Quicken does not require that you put your financial info "in the cloud". You store your file locally, they offer the cloud as a back-up option for your data file (or whatever else you want to use it for, up to 5GB).

I used MS Money many years ago and preferred it, at the time, to Quicken. But I'm wasn't going to invest my time in recording data in a program that isn't supported.