Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I just loaded it on Windows 10 and it seems to be OK. I am going to try a test account and do what I normally do then see.
Just for fun I installed in Windows. It wouldn't let me set-up option to download bank transactions. I just moved on, was more curious than serious.
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Just for fun I installed in Windows. It wouldn't let me set-up option to download bank transactions. I just moved on, was more curious than serious.
This seems to be the ONLY issue I have found. You have to use QIF Files as long as they are supported by the Institution.

That an Category listings.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just FYI, "subscription" starts when you install and activate it. So.... you could buy now and hold it. If price is $25 higher in 18 months you achieved 25+% annual return And depending on if you are using the bill pay service you save more than the cost of the subscription. And you also get free premium support, so perhaps worth the price of starting subscription early.
Woah! I'm not going to take that chance.

One could imagine in the code:

if (subscription ran out) OR (version + 1 < current version)
THEN bomb out and ask for cash
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #64

Quote:
This seems to be the ONLY issue I have found. You have to use QIF Files as long as they are supported by the Institution.

Thought it was just me being a dummy. I thought MS Money supported automated bank downloads when I ran it years ago, but could be confused. Really a non-starter for me as the automated download of my bank, credit card, and investment details is worth a couple bucks a month.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #65

OK for MS Money I found the Categories and the only real issue os DL transactions which I prefer to do anyway. MS Money may work..... for me.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #66

Quote:

The online banking setup has been disabled with Money sunset edition.
MS money imports bank transactions automatically using OFX format. All the banks except one supports OFX export of transactions. Discover supports QIF downloads and in such a case, you have to import the QIF file to get all the transactions - not a big deal. I just log into my bank and select "download transactions to MS Money". OFX format is not going away anytime soon. There are 20 million users in the U.S. alone and with the scripting and other support, user's like me are staying with MS Money.

If you want to automate everything where it logs into your bank account automatically and downloads the transactions, you now have to use python scripts. This site will help you get the stuff. I use the scripts to update online data.

https://sites.google.com/site/pocket...e/msmoneyfixp1

https://sites.google.com/site/pocket...smoneyfixp1/p2

For me the choice was simple. I had over 20 years of data with MS Money and moving to Quicken would be a step backwards in terms of features. I have been using the sunset edition for the past 7 years without any issues.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Can't it import QFX files? Then it can get the data without passwords.

Yes, you can import QFX to Moneydance. I use this for accounts that won’t automatically download.

I don’t have any issues letting Moneydance automatically download my account info. I prefer this method, since manually importing the data is a hassle (for me).

For some reason I don’t have any issues with this. I know that the data file is encrypted and requires a password when I load Moneydance. I also know that it’s stored in the data file and nowhere else. There’s no syncing with Moneydance servers.

When I used to Quicken years ago, I also used automatic downloads. I’d be hesitant to do this today, since they are forcing cloud integration with their products and you’d have no idea where your password/account info is stored.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
When I used to Quicken years ago, I also used automatic downloads. I’d be hesitant to do this today, since they are forcing cloud integration with their products and you’d have no idea where your password/account info is stored.
Respectfully, they are NOT forcing cloud integration on anyone. They are giving an option to use cloud.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
The online banking setup has been disabled with Money sunset edition.
MS money imports bank transactions automatically using OFX format. All the banks except one supports OFX export of transactions. Discover supports QIF downloads and in such a case, you have to import the QIF file to get all the transactions - not a big deal. I just log into my bank and select "download transactions to MS Money". OFX format is not going away anytime soon. There are 20 million users in the U.S. alone and with the scripting and other support, user's like me are staying with MS Money.

If you want to automate everything where it logs into your bank account automatically and downloads the transactions, you now have to use python scripts. This site will help you get the stuff. I use the scripts to update online data.

https://sites.google.com/site/pocket...e/msmoneyfixp1

https://sites.google.com/site/pocket...smoneyfixp1/p2

For me the choice was simple. I had over 20 years of data with MS Money and moving to Quicken would be a step backwards in terms of features. I have been using the sunset edition for the past 7 years without any issues.
Thanks but QFX seems to be more popular than OFX. QIF is still about. I do not use banks only credit unions. Mine only support QFX no QIF or OFX.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #70

I just tried QFX, MS Money does not work with it. That may be the deal breaker.

Ha Ha, it works if you rename the QFX file to OFX....
Old 11-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #71

You can also get online quotes via import from yahoo or this addon tool from a former MSmoney developer

Gaier Software - Restore Microsoft Money Online Quotes with MSMoneyQuotes
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #72

Quote:

QFX is a subset of OFX. If a file is QFX format, it should be OFX compliant. If you want to import QFX automatically into MS Money then do this:

https://thefinancebuff.com/import-qu...indows-10.html

I use Citibank, Amexbank, and Discover. All can have an download option for MS Money. I misstated that Discover uses QIF. It is actually QFX. I go through the import function without any issues rather than rename the file to .ofx. The link above fixes that issue in Windows so that QFX imports automatically like an OFX file.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
You can also get online quotes via import from yahoo or this addon tool from a former MSmoney developer

Gaier Software - Restore Microsoft Money Online Quotes with MSMoneyQuotes
That option is free with the link I provided before
Old 11-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #74

Quote:

Try changing the extension from QFX to OFX. They are both just text files.

People have reported changing the file extension works

If you just save the downloaded file and you change the file’s extension from .qfx to .ofx, you can import the transactions into Money by double-clicking on the downloaded file.

https://thefinancebuff.com/import-qu...indows-10.html
Old 11-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #75

Quote:
FYI - Quicken does not require that you put your financial info "in the cloud". You store your file locally, they offer the cloud as a back-up option for your data file (or whatever else you want to use it for, up to 5GB).

I used MS Money many years ago and preferred it, at the time, to Quicken. But I'm wasn't going to invest my time in recording data in a program that isn't supported.
Yes I know that Quicken does not require that you put financial info into the cloud like other packages. However for me and millions of other MS Money users, Quicken was a big step backwards. It did not do a great job with importing my MS Money data. Intuit gave MS Money users a free 90 day trial edition of Quicken. It crashed several times while attempting to import data. Intuit stated that they were working on the import issues. I would have gladly paid for quicken if it was any good. For me it was not. The software for me was a big step backwards. Fortunately other people came up with automation scripts for Money that allowed me an millions of others to continue to use MS Money.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #76

On another note, anyone using Windows 10 with any financial software (Quicken, Money, Moneydance, whatever...), should be aware that Windows 10 by design comes complete with built in spyware that can be compromised. We have 5 PCs at home (3 desktops and 2 Laptops). Our main computer, where all our financial data is kept with back-up external driver, is running Windows 7. The others are running Windows 10 with one in our music studio running Windows XP (we did not want to update all the studio application software). There is a good reason why the majority of enterprises have not updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and why more people are running Windows 7 vs Windows 10 after all this time. Windows 7 is much more stable than Windows 10.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
On another note, anyone using Windows 10 with any financial software (Quicken, Money, Moneydance, whatever...), should be aware that Windows 10 by design comes complete with built in spyware that can be compromised.
Could you be more specific about this "built in spyware" that comes with Windows 10? Any news reports of systems being compromised?
Old 11-25-2017, 09:40 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
Could you be more specific about this "built in spyware" that comes with Windows 10? Any news reports of systems being compromised?
There are a number of privacy issues with W10

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/0...vacy-deep-dive

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...tect-yourself/
Old 11-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #79

Quote:
Agree with you 100%. Just picked up 2 year Quicken Premier "subscription" for $60, that's $2.50/mo. Even as frugal as I am, I can afford that and think it's quite a bargain. The alternative is spending time converting/reconciling accounts into something new, manipulating stock quote entries, creating spreadsheets, etc. And at the end of all that I end up with something that is functionally subpar compared to Quicken and I'm not even sure it's any less expensive option. I now have a new assortment of issues to troubleshoot and resolve (as they say I'd rather deal with the devil I know than the devil I don't). PASS!
I'm begrudgingly with you and other on this. The reality is that as long as Quicken keeps their price in check, we'll all (well, most of us) come to the conclusion that it's more trouble than it's worth to leave than to keep Quicken. I think they will do well to keep privacy in mind too. As others have said, a cloud based system or one where they can hold you hostage, my be a tipping point.

Case in point, look at PhotoBucket (or whatever company that was) that started charging to store photos if you wanted to link them to other sites. I think they wanted $400. They totally misread the market and as far as I know, virtually no one paid up. They tipped the scale and people determined that there were other options at lesser cost than the alternative of paying up. As long as Quicken doesn't tip out of balance, we'll stay.

As frustrating as Quicken and Turbo Tax can be at times, they work well and the real cost versus alternatives is still reasonable - IMHO.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:56 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

A free executable file to Shut Up Windows 10 spying is here: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10#details
I run it periodically and I always run it after installation of Windows 10 updates.
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote