Join Early Retirement Today

OK. So I broke down and bought a house in Florida?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK. So I broke down and bought a house in Florida?

That's it, I could not resist it any more. We have been renting for almost 3 years. We have put our money where MY mouth is and bought a house 5 years old in St. Augustine, North East Florida. 3 bed 3 bath great room, separate study, Dining room, Florida room, 2 car garage.

I am speculating based on my purchase that at some point in the next 5 - 10 years it will be worth more than what I paid for it.

Here are some specks:

1) Custom Home, Marsh Creek Country Club Gated Golf Community.
2) Lake Views Front and Rear, No houses directly across the street.
3) No Houses to the rear just preserve (Palm Trees, Deer Wildlife Etc.)
4) Not on Golf course.
5) 3200sqft with pool.
6) Basically single Story with Bonus configured as a Guest room above 2 car Garage
7) Concrete and stucco construction, excellent for our climate here
8 )Dual zone climate controls so guest suite can be turned on or off at will independent from the main house.
9) 2 miles from St. Augustine Beach, on Anastasia Island, very few island lots available any more, only private golf community on the island.

It was a distress sale advertised 10% below current comps. I paid 25% below. The house next door is an example it is on the market for 25% more. Not selling of course. We paid cash with only the inspection as a contingency, so we got a slightly better deal.

This home now represents about 25 - 30% of our total net worth.

My speculation is that the general market will drop another 20% in the next year, thus still at my current buy price.

We are putting about 3% into the house to add features We like. The home is in excellent condition, recently painted inside but could use some touch up outside. we plan on being here a minimum of 5 years maybe 10.

I intend on living in the home when I have completed all the work, we are currently renting.

The great question: Will we loose money, only time will tell.

Your comments are appreciated.

SWR

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! That sounds like a beautiful house in a very nice location (lakes, wildlife preserve). Location, location, location should be in your favor! Also, I like the idea of a big house with all on one level except a bonus room over the garage. I would want it myself, except that personally I have ruled out Florida and many other states due to hurricanes and my desire not to repeat my Katrina experiences. It should be really pleasant in the mornings to walk outside and see the lakes and wildlife right outside your home.

I have no idea about its speculative value or whether or not you will lose money, though if I had to guess I would say you probably made a good decision. Either way, you have an extremely nice place to live while you are waiting to see what happens with area home prices.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Want2Retire:

Thanks, our rental lease is up in a couple of months and we really were missing a home of our own. I like a large home also, but more for re-sale and return than anything else. Larger homes in nice communities tend to return more over time. In these parts, especially in this type of community, the folks from up North and California tend to buy them.

I simply hope i am correct.

SWR
Old 02-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations , It sounds like a great house and I love that area . In southwestern Florida it seems like prices are at or near the bottom so I don't think you'll lose money .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think you made a very shrewd decision. St. Augustine is in a great area, and you probably won't do much better in the real estate pricing cycle. We've camped Anastasia and toured the area which is very nice.

Great move, enjoy your new life down here.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #6

Good decision for the long haul.

Will Rogers: "Land? Better buy some. They ain't makin' any more."
Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice area. Real estate will bounce back, especially for this type of desireable setting. But keep in mind, from what you say, it is not just about the money. You missed having a home. Lets you be more settled, lets you change it to the way you like, etc. Not all decisions, even some of the big ones, are about getting the highest return.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Nice area. Real estate will bounce back, especially for this type of desireable setting. But keep in mind, from what you say, it is not just about the money. You missed having a home. Lets you be more settled, lets you change it to the way you like, etc. Not all decisions, even some of the big ones, are about getting the highest return.
Well said, Sandy. Especially with houses -- best "investment" is not always the best choice. In fact, the two houses we have enjoyed living in the most are the two we made the least profit on in the end. Mostly circumstantial, sub-optimal timing, etc. but we never regretted it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Will Rogers: "Land? Better buy some. They ain't makin' any more."
In Will's defense, he never heard of these guys: Palm Islands, Dubai UAE
Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I added a photo

SWR
Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

That's a beautiful home!!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

That's a nice house! Would you mind sharing the purchase price (to the nearest $100k) - for reference.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #13
gone traveling

MLS 97989
Approx. 2474sq ft
3 Bedrooms / 2.5 Bath
Rented until 10/08 @ $1650/mo

503 Lakeway Dr.
Offered At: $447,000
Location Marsh Creek Country Club / Marsh and Lake Views

Great patio home with large lake wrapping around the property on 2 sides for stellar views from all sides.Swaying marsh grasses teaming with exotic birds, perfect for the nature lover! Large shade trees make the perfect place for a hammock to relax and enjoy the flora and fauna. Split floor plan offers privacy with bedrooms for children or guests upstairs.Large spacious kitchen is perfect for the gourmet chef!

This property is priced to sell below appraised value & ready for you to call home.Watch sunsets from your enclosed lanai,or cozy up in front of your wood burning fireplace on a cool evening. Enjoy living in Marsh Creek Country Club, Anastasia Islands only gated golf course community,minutes from white sand beaches,historic downtown,& great shops & caffes.Call this one home today.Great home,great investment.Get it first & enjoy all the benefits!

Congratulations! Good for you buying when you find what you want.

BUT, for all West Coast/ gotta cash flow/ BASHERS check the rent on this Florida baby. That's a GRM, gross rent multiplier of 22.5!! That rivals us here in SFBay plus you have to imagine some HOA fees subtracted off the monthly rental! Now if you're not getting the typical California 11% compounded appreciation rate who's the crack buying delusional homeowners?

4% appreciation my *ss!
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Deep breaths Hono deep breaths
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Deep breaths Hono deep breaths
I'm better now, had a sip of green tea and finished my yogurt and granola. Yep, I'm getting near my happy place. Ooommm.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations Shok.

I know you have Southern ON connections and hope you were able to use some greatly appreciated $C to enhance the deal.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Now, where's that fountain of youth?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In Will's defense, he never heard of these guys: Palm Islands, Dubai UAE
Well if you read closer they didn't "make" new land, thay just "reclaimed" it. I think the prior owners were underwater.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I added a photo

SWR
GORGEOUS!!! Again, my congratulations and I just know you are going to enjoy the house so much while you live there.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

This is my next door neighbor. I think they are smoking. I paid ~25% less than they are asking, and I have an additional 500sqft. They tell me they are not needing to sell, so I said why list it? They said some Northerner will buy it...eventually, they always do. Apparantly they sold the last 2 homes they had this way.

http://chuckdenton.com/Listings/List...X?LID=25710875

SWR