Join Early Retirement Today

Old Student Debt Can Cancel Retirement
Old 10-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Old Student Debt Can Cancel Retirement

Senior citizens with old student debt can become permanent debt slaves.

"According to the GAO study, the number of individuals whose Social Security benefits were offset to pay student loan debt increased from about 31,000 to 155,000 between 2002-13."

BBC News - US seniors face student loan debt
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can only imagine the penalty associated with decades of deferred debt.

Hard to feel sorry for them thou. Had a vacancy couple months ago 2 different students wanted the house with no income except thier student loans. Rejected both ... looked like living off credit cards to me.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone know if there are limits on what portion of a SS check the US can garnish to repay student debts?
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shocked these folks would not pay off their stundent loans. No sympathy from me at all. More like absolute contempt.

I paid my touition in cash up front from my own pocket, each semester. Granted I was working full time at the time.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
Anyone know if there are limits on what portion of a SS check the US can garnish to repay student debts?
Details here:
Can Social Security Be Garnished? | Bankrate.com

Different situations (student debt) (unpaid childcare) and some time limits.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hard to imagine there are people approaching or collecting social security and have outstanding student loans off their own schooling.

How can that be. What have well educated people done during their career. They must have screwed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
43WorkYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the link, IMOLDR. For those interested (and too lazy to check the link), here is the answer: "The government can shave off up to 15 percent, provided your remaining monthly benefit doesn't drop lower than $750."
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

If you cosign your kids (or grandkids) student loans they can garnish your SS.

I suspect that big increase in SS garnishment is due to parents and grandparents cosigning and their kids/grandkids not paying the loans back.

It's a reason I will never cosign a student loan for my kids. Worst case I'd borrow entirely on my credit - probably using a HELOC - so I have control over how it gets paid back and control of the risk of default.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know that many people misuse debt, but I guess it never occurred to me that seniors on SS would still have their own student loan debt to pay off. This level of financial mismanagement just seems beyond belief.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #10

I've heard of it before but I find it incredible that so many people would be so foolish. I should know better - foolish people gave me a career.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
"The government can shave off up to 15 percent, provided your remaining monthly benefit doesn't drop lower than $750."
That seems very reasonable. If this reduction pushes them into poverty, then that's what welfare is for.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The vast majority of older borrowers took out their loans in order to pay for their own studies, although a small percentage used the loans for their spouses, children or grandchildren.

Many borrowed money to pay for mid- or late-career retraining, or may have acquired loans with a very long repayment term. Others defaulted at a younger age, were unable to dig themselves out of the problem and carried it through into retirement.
I admit to having little sympathy for those who defaulted on student loans earlier in life and that bad decision is coming back to haunt them later in life. I suspect that they thought that they were getting away with it.

In all cases, if they had just lived within their means and paid their bills like the vast majority of people do they would not have the problem.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I admit to having little sympathy for those who defaulted on student loans earlier in life and that bad decision is coming back to haunt them later in life. I suspect that they thought that they were getting away with it.

In all cases, if they had just lived within their means and paid their bills like the vast majority of people do they would not have the problem.
For the most part, I'd agree, but the world is a funny place. Younger persons aren't commonly thinking of the day they may need Social Security. Over the years, I've known many people who have, for one reason or another defaulted on loans or failed to pay for services
... Home repossessions
... Entrepreneurial failed business ventures
... Divorce
... Extensive medical costs

....all without affecting Social Security...

So how does this work? With $1.3 trillion is student loans... Who made the loan? Who guaranteed the loan? Banks? Federal Government? Student Loans Guaranteed by the Federal Government

So, now... the student defaults on the loan and compounds the interest costs, and the theoretical amount owed doubles... Who is at risk?

Why is not paying a student loan for $30,000 different from not paying a hospital bill for the same amount?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Why is not paying a student loan for $30,000 different from not paying a hospital bill for the same amount?
because student load debt is a debt to the government (or government agency) and you cannot bankrupt yourself out of the debt... sort of like not paying your taxes...
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #15

One of my American neighbors here in the Philippines is in his mid-to-late-40's, thinks America is the great evil and will fail any day now, and will be in this situation when he is older. From my understanding, he got a US government student loan for graduate school (chiropractor) and never paid on it. He also had four kids in the USA and left the country (so he must owe child support, two of his children are still minors). He has probably been here for around 8 years.

Before I knew him very well and he told me about the student loans, I told him that this could jeopardize his social security which he laughed off saying that America will be broke anyway. He also just laughed off that he owes this debt. Ironically, his mom is sending money from the great evil America to help support his new family here in the Philippines.

ANYWAY, his American passport is up for renewal in a couple of years. The latest passport renewal form (I just filled it out for myself) requires a social security number, so he will have to provide that (there is actually a financial penalty if you send in the form without it). Will past due child support (California, I think) and unpaid federal student loans disallow him to renew his passport? This would force him to go back to the USA.

He is afraid to ever go back to the USA, stating that he might get arrested at the airport. Also, there is some kind of criminal record there but he served his time, as far as I know. Ironically, he is a model family man here. But this is affecting his family now -- he is refusing to move forward on getting US citizen status for his children here, worried about drawing attention to himself. When it comes to passports, FATCA/FBAR, income taxes, and visa status -- I always warn new expats to not get out of status! Many foolishly ruin their life abroad. I certainly have no sympathy for this guy.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #16

He is the "model family man" as long as Grandma sends him money. Something is wrong with this picture. Defaulted on student loans (which means the rest of us citizens are footing his bill). Not much of an example of responsibility, is it?

EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
He is the "model family man" as long as Grandma sends him money. Something is wrong with this picture. Defaulted on student loans (which means the rest of us citizens are footing his bill). Not much of an example of responsibility, is it?
You are absolutely correct. What i mean though is that he seems really dedicated to his family here, spends most of his spare time with his kids, works hard at his chiropractic business, doesn't cheat on his wife, completely gave up alcohol after being an addict, and even helps take care of an elderly neighbor in need. Probably at least part of this was simply forced upon him by poverty. You don't want to go and live hand to mouth (no savings) in a poor country!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
One of my American neighbors here in the Philippines is in his mid-to-late-40's, thinks America is the great evil ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
he is refusing to move forward on getting US citizen status for his children here
If the USA is so much of an evil, why would he want citizenship for his kids? Seems like an oxymoron.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43WorkYears View Post
Hard to imagine there are people approaching or collecting social security and have outstanding student loans off their own schooling.

How can that be. What have well educated people done during their career. They must have screwed up.

Their only error was in not reading ER.org religiously. If they had so done, they would have found all the information they needed to learn how to engineer their lives so as to pay a portion, then get the rest cancelled. It's all here.

Ha
Old 10-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #20

It is his wife who wants the US citizenship for them, as any good parent would. He would go along with it, probably, except for fear of being singled out regarding these issues. She has asked me to research it.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app