Older Americans may have to postpone retirement under New health bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's where the FIRE'd part comes in? Financially Independent, Retired Early?

Most of us here are very fortunate, having been able to amass millions well before retirement age.

But I believe most people don't even have $50k in savings by the time they reach 65.

How about coal miner in his 50s with black lungs? He will have now "access" to purchase insurance just like he has an access to go on luxury Caribbean cruise.

You are right people like me with 8k dividend income from equity index funds will do just fine either way.

I'm a bit confused as to why you're including a "coal miner in his 50's with black lungs" in the FIRE'd or planning to soon be FIRE'd group I referred to. Could you explain?

Do you really think that a Financially Independent, Retired Early (FIRE'd) person needs to have middle class working families paying taxes to provide them with HI subsidies? I don't. I'm comfortably FIRE'd (along with many who participate on this board) and am willing to pay my own way without those still working subsidizing me. I know, I know, it's cool to "milk the system" and all that. But it's just not my thing.

Last edited:
Please expand.

We have already, in just a few posts since your re: comment, seen the emotional responses. I THINK I understood your post to be about those Financially Independent persons hitching up their pants. But I had a feeling it would be applied to all sorts of situations (Black Lung, etc) that obviously should fall into a different category.

That's what I meant.

I thought this thread was about older Americans.

Not just people who achieve FI in their 40s and 50s.

This thread need to be shut down again. I save my political comments for another forum for a reason.

Please expand.
Dunno. My pants were hitched up for the 35 years I paid into SS and Medicare taxes. Hitched em up more again over those years to sock away cash instead of blowing it.

Don't care what anyone else does but just want to receive what I contracted for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom