Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great! That being the case, I can only applaud your decision to delegate to him or her.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 03:04 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I don't have any of these problems with my FA.

I didn’t either, RobbieB. I thought my FA did a good job, although she could not consistently beat the market net of fees. I don’t have the problem of leaving cash sitting around if I’m self-managing so for me, it made sense to stop paying the fees. But YMMV - our FA served us pretty well for the time we had her. It was just time for us to move on.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Have an aunt that's always pointing out what you are doing wrong "for your own good". "Do you really think you should be eating that since it looks like you've put on weight". "Maybe you shouldn't go to college, you're not as smart as your brother". "You shouldn't wear that dress, it makes you look fat". None of us like to be around Aunt Perfect!
Well sure, there are ways to go about it. And I don't think comments like "Have you taken into account the fees?", or "Have you taken into account the cost of taxes from all those capital gains from all that buying/selling", or "Have you actually measured your after-tax, after-fees performance against a couch-potato portfolio?", or "A couch-potato portfolio doesn't take any significant time or knowledge." or "How is an unsophisticated investor supposed to determine if the FA is any good or not? That seems more difficult than just implementing a couch-potato portfolio." are anything at all like " "Maybe you shouldn't go to college, you're not as smart as your brother".

If someone thinks they are similar, I'd say they are like the lady who doth protest too much.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Each to their own, whatever works best for you.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...If someone thinks they are similar, I'd say they are like the lady who doth protest too much.

-ERD50
OMG, I didn't know you were a lady.

Point is that RobbieB and others on this forum that have a FA, like using them. Probably, no amount of "pointing" will change their mind. Maybe we can convert newbies!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #46

Y’all convinced me! I liked our FA bout decided I liked eliminating the FA fees more. [emoji3]
Old 05-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post

Point is that RobbieB and others on this forum that have a FA, like using them. Probably, no amount of "pointing" will change their mind. Maybe we can convert newbies!
It is about the newbies, really. A newbie reads this stuff, and may take it at face value. If they're gonna hear "I like my FA", fine, that's one opinion. But they should also hear the counterpoints to it, and if the counterpoints aren't brought up, maybe the newbie thinks we all agree?

-ERD50
Old 05-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #48

Quote:
It is about the newbies, really. A newbie reads this stuff, and may take it at face value. If they're gonna hear "I like my FA", fine, that's one opinion. But they should also hear the counterpoints to it, and if the counterpoints aren't brought up, maybe the newbie thinks we all agree?

-ERD50
First, when do we all agree on anything here? I can't remember the last thread that went even 5 posts without a differing opinion. Heck, this board almost comes to blows over topics like should Harry have kept his beard yesterday....

Second, I'd give the newbies a bit more credit. I'd be very skeptical of the idea that someone is going to come here for the first time, read's Robbie's post and goes "that's IT! FA all the way and I can go blow my dough!" and never look back.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
First, when do we all agree on anything here?
I disagree.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I disagree.
No, I don’t think you do.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
No, I don’t think you do.
Yes.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

Second, I'd give the newbies a bit more credit. I'd be very skeptical of the idea that someone is going to come here for the first time, read's Robbie's post and goes "that's IT! FA all the way and I can go blow my dough!" and never look back.
What? ..You mean.....Robbie has been wrong all this time??
Old 05-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
What? ..You mean.....Robbie has been wrong all this time??
I hate it when that happens.

Y'all can invest like ya want ya hear, it's all right with me -

Seriously, when do I push Merrill Lynch on anyone? Hehe, yeah never.

But when ever someone says they use an FA, OMG, the feces just hit the fan yes?

High fees, theives, lack of transparency, incompetent do nothings, studies show you can't beat indexing, you can learn to DIY faster than check out a FA, what's the benchmark?

Scuba, I wish you well in your DIY investing, hope you make lotsa dough -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #54

Thanks RobbieB. I agree with you - the criticism on this site re FA’s is sometimes unfair. Having an FA is a great decision for some, and it worked well for us for 5 years. I do appreciate the challenges as it made me really think about what we should do going forward.
My two cents
Old 05-22-2018, 05:22 AM   #55

My two cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
1. High fees,
2. thieves,
3. lack of transparency,
4. incompetent do nothings,
5. studies show you can't beat indexing,
6. you can learn to DIY faster than check out a FA,
7. what's the benchmark?
I agree with criticisms 1, 3 and 5.

2 and 6 are hyperbolic nonsense.

4 and 7 are neither helpful nor insightful.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB
1. High fees,
2. thieves,
3. lack of transparency,
4. incompetent do nothings,
5. studies show you can't beat indexing,
6. you can learn to DIY faster than check out a FA,
7. what's the benchmark?
I agree with criticisms 1, 3 and 5.

2 and 6 are hyperbolic nonsense.

4 and 7 are neither helpful nor insightful.
I also agree with 1, 3,and 5.

I don't feel 6 is non-sense at all, but maybe this is semantics, or not enough context. It is often said here that "By the time you know enough to evaluate (not just 'pick') An FA, you know enough to DIY". And it's not complicated/difficult, but it might be hard to get to that knowledge, since there is so much advertising telling you it is hard. But you can get it here or at Bogleheads. I guess either could be 'fast' if you don't bother with any evaluations first.

2 and 4 are just shouting/attacks, and not helpful at all. I don't believe I've ever gone down that path, and don't appreciate the sense that I'm being lumped in with some of the people who have said those sorts of things. But I apologize if I ever did slip.

7 - Huh? A benchmark is an essential part of learning. Of course, if you go with broad based index funds, it's superfluous, you pretty much are the benchmark.

-ERD50
Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #57

Quote:
2 and 4 are just shouting/attacks, and not helpful at all. I don't believe I've ever gone down that path, and don't appreciate the sense that I'm being lumped in with some of the people who have said those sorts of things.
I can't speak for others, but I for one was not pointing fingers at you (or anyone else).

Quote:
7 - Huh? A benchmark is an essential part of learning.
Not exactly a useful criticism of FAs, though.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't speak for others, but I for one was not pointing fingers at you (or anyone else). ...
Yes, I know. That wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the broad brush comments some FA users make, which sound like they are lumping all critiques together as 'attacks'.

benchmarks...

Quote:
... Not exactly a useful criticism of FAs, though.
But if the poster is going to measure their FA performance, they need a benchmark, right? That's all I meant.

-ERD50