Join Early Retirement Today

One good tax thing about today
Old 04-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Administrator

One good tax thing about today

It’s hard to find something positive to say about taxes and 4/15 so I thought I’d remind everyone that if you filed by the due date, today is the last day the IRS can challenge your 2006 tax return – at least for most reasons which affect this group.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks I'm still exchanging mail with the IRS about my 2007, so I guess 2006 is safe.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

to recall an old episode of M*A*S*H*, tax time really is about getting your story straight
Old 04-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It’s hard to find something positive to say about taxes and 4/15 so I thought I’d remind everyone that if you filed by the due date, today is the last day the IRS can challenge your 2006 tax return – at least for most reasons which affect this group.
Really? I didn't know that! I thought they could challenge them forever.

I guess I can stop fretting about the fact that my ex took all my/our tax records with him when we divorced in 1998...

Actually the one I am most concerned about (because of its complexity, not because of any intentional wrongdoing) is my 2008 tax return. But it sounds like I only have two more years to worry about that one. I like that!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I just threw away some check stubs for work I did as an independent contractor. In 1993. Most of them for $50. Now I won't worry about being audited.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it was the last day you could file an amended return for 2006 but the IRS can go back to the day you earned your first nickel if they wanted to.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I always thought the IRS could go back 7 years. I just did a quick look and saw that it is normally 3 years, but 6 if they have reason to believe you under-reported by 25% or more.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I think it was the last day you could file an amended return for 2006 but the IRS can go back to the day you earned your first nickel if they wanted to.
Three years for most claims, six years if income underreported by more than 25%, no limit only when accused of fraud.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 04-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #9

Asked my CPA the same question (I want to pitch "old" tax files). He said the IRS is 3 years behind with audits. So an audit won't be initiated on returns more than 3 years old.

BUT if a pattern of fraud is detected in a audit, they can go back as far as they want. So you need to keep the files to defend yourself - forever.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BUT if a pattern of fraud is detected in a audit, they can go back as far as they want. So you need to keep the files to defend yourself - forever.
But think about this: what you're really saying is that they can go back as far as they want if they THINK they detect fraud. So, even if there's no fraud, they could still suspect it, in which case you need to keep all your records so that you can defend yourself. Right?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
But think about this: what you're really saying is that they can go back as far as they want if they THINK they detect fraud. So, even if there's no fraud, they could still suspect it, in which case you need to keep all your records so that you can defend yourself. Right?
Perhaps so, but as I understand it, in order to enforce it the IRS would have to prove there was fraud -- and that's a criminal offense so they would need to prove criminal intent beyond a reasonable doubt.

It wouldn't be like coming after you for a 2-year-old mistake on a return where they say "you owe it because we said so." They have to have a lot more proof if they allege fraud. The IRS is very powerful, but even they have to prove *criminal* allegations beyond a reasonable doubt.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Criminal tax fraud is the intent to deceive. It's not evasion. If you can reasonably say "oops, I forgot" or "it's a math error" then it's not fraud and they can't audit you for that after 3 years unless the amount in question exceeds 25% of your income. Now, if you take unreported income, buy diamonds, smuggle them to Switzerland in a false toothpaste tube, then open an account and deposit - well, that's evidence of intent.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 04-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #13

My understanding - when we discussed it - was that the IRS investigation (looking back more than 3 years) was limited to fraud previously detected (no full blown audits to detect new problems).
Old 04-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw on another forum that April 15th is also the day the Titanic sunk. Coincidence??--I don't think so....
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote