One in three not really REALLY retired ...

papadad111

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I retired. Now I'm ready to go back to work: Poll Retirees go back to work?

One in three people retired say they would return to work if the job market improved .... Not talking part time Walmart greeter ...but really getting back to the grindstone ...

Is this really just a case of a bunch of boomers generation having been laid off during the recession and being woefully ill prepared for retirement (financially )and really needing to go back to work - but too embarrassed to admit they were never really truly retired? "I'll just tell the neighbors that I retired at 54 rather than admit out of work for 3+ years" ?

It will be interesting to measure the upcoming droves and droves of people who SHOULD be retired or retiring .... But can't. And so stay in the work force ...

Interesting stuff - what are the longer term implications to the economy ? When many youth are unemployed they riot. What happens when many pre-seniors are unemployed? They vote .... ? They :confused:

Just curious of opinions.

Many of the guys I worked with who (voluntarily) retired in their mid 50's (and most of us were surprised they were financially prepared), were back at work full time within a year or two. Guess they weren't prepared or didn't know they weren't. I also know two Midwestern couples who retired, sold their homes and bought new homes in SC - only to move right back within a few years citing "the HEAT" and missing family/grand kids. Talk about wasting a lot on real estate, moving, replacement costs.

Of course I know others who stayed retired as well.

And you only know if your financial plan was successful at the end (or during s serious downturn), not within the first 10 years or so...

Last edited:
As I am learning and thinking about, still five years from my target date for FI (and maybe ER), there's more to retirement planning than "do I have enough money?"

What happens when many pre-seniors are unemployed? They vote .... ? They :confused:

They should turn to life of crime and become politicians (become vote getters).

In 2007, I was confident that I was FI and was looking to get laid off. The ensuing 2008-09 recession proved I wasn't ready to retire, emotionally and financially. I am just glad I was not laid off during that time.

Thank goodness this wasn't the thread subject I thought it was going to be by the title. I thought it was going to be another thread that says:
- You're not retired if your spouse still works.
- You're not retired if you have kids at home.
- You're not retired if you have *any* income from a blog.
- You're not retired if you're a landlord (because that's work.)

I know some folks who were laid off about 2 years ago who, after about 6 months of not finding work, called themselves retired. They're now working or looking for work.

I also know a few more folks who retired youngish (less than 62) who are still retired.

My anecdotal data for sub-62 retirees that I know in real life - about the same as the article - 1/3 weren't really retired - just waiting out a down market.

We have a lake house in South Carolina. The area is full of northerners that retired south. I have met several that went back to work, even though they had no intention of doing so when they retired. They have experience in specialized areas. The difference is that they can set their own hours, work from home with a little occasional travel. What I hear most is "they are paying me crazy$$$. I would be an idiot to pass up the easy money"

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

The best hour of my week is 530-630am on Monday morning, when the people drive by on their way to work while I'm having a leisurely cup of coffee.....and watching out the window while in my robe!

The second best hour(s).....Sunday afternoon/evening when my stomach is NOT in knots anticipating Monday morning....60 minutes ticking clock don't scare me now!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

The best hour of my week is 530-630am on Monday morning, when the people drive by on their way to work while I'm having a leisurely cup of coffee.....and watching out the window while in my robe!

The second best hour(s).....Sunday afternoon/evening when my stomach is NOT in knots anticipating Monday morning....60 minutes ticking clock don't scare me now!

Amen, brother!

I would not work for one more day, for all the tea in China. I love being retired, I can afford it, and I can't think of anything I'd rather do.

That said, one or more other retirees that I know would take the right job immediately if it was offered, to pad their retirement income. (This would be a job appropriate to career and experience.) So far I don't know any that are willing to take a lesser job, though, like Wal-Mart greeter or fast food.

I don't know about other seniors, but my days of trying to change the world are about 50 years behind me. My generation's efforts didn't work then, and I doubt anything similar would work now. If I needed to pad my retirement income, but couldn't find work, then I'd probably be interested in exploring ways to drastically lower my living costs in retirement.

Last edited:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

I'm still w*rking, but for some reason, that's one of my favorite hours of the week, too. And not just Monday, but M-F. I tend to wake up at 5:30 every morning, whether I need to or not, but just relax, have some coffee, and watch tv. It just seems like a relaxing, carefree time of the morning. "Petticoat Junction", of all things, comes on MeTV at 6 in the morning, and for some reason, I find it relaxing and cathartic to watch.

Or, subconsciously, maybe I want to be the Hooterville dog! :D

But then, once 6:30 rolls around, it's time to start getting serious about getting ready for w*rk, and it brings me back to reality.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

I would not get out of bed to pee at that ungodly hour!

And not just Monday, but M-F. I tend to wake up at 5:30 every morning, whether I need to or not, but just relax, have some coffee, and watch tv.

That's a flat lie. There is nothing to watch on TV at that hour, M-F. :D

It'd be a sad day in hell if I am forced to go back to work after I am retired. I will keep a hari-kiri sword nearby rather than un-retire.

Last edited:
When I retire, I'm NOT going back to work!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I was thinking I might go back to work some kind of part-time gig like either contracting myself out in my field (there are opportunities) or something easy like Walmart greeter, Lowe's etc. That was because I wasn't 100& sure I had enough quarters to qualify for SS. Most of my career was in a position where I wasn't paying into SS and I'll be heavily affected by the WEP. However, a phone call today confirmed that I do indeed have the full 40 SS quarters, which I earned during high school and during my active duty military time. So......don't see myself going back to work! My SS will only amount to maybe $250 per month at 62 due to the WEP, but that's $3000 a year that I can use for something, I'm sure. No workee for me. ;)

I don't know about other seniors, but my days of trying to change the world are about 50 years behind me. My generation's efforts didn't work then, and I doubt anything similar would work now. If I needed to pad my retirement income, but couldn't find work, then I'd probably be interested in exploring ways to drastically lower my living costs in retirement.

I was fortunate enough to effect some important changes on a more limited and personal level for a number of students who have gone on to pass that torch. That is really the only level of change that I believe anyone can do.

I have never heard or read about any individual who has had a lasting effect on a world-wide level so I don't have any confidence it is even possible. History pretty much proves this out.

Like any other species, we are an experiment.

Cheers!

Since my entire job centers around relationships with customers, once I quit it's all over. No way I would want to start over with a new employer. There is no way at this stage of the game I could make half what I do today with a minimal amount of effort.
This is probably the greatest reason why I'm stuck in OMY syndrome. The FI part was much more direct and absolute than the RE part of FIRE for me. Hopefully I'm making progress and will be reasonably confident enough to take the leap by early '16.

They have experience in specialized areas. The difference is that they can set their own hours, work from home with a little occasional travel. What I hear most is "they are paying me crazy$$$. I would be an idiot to pass up the easy money"
That's somewhat my problem that has led to my OMY life. I can't believe how much I get paid for doing very little, with lots of vacation time, flexible hours and no stress. My only problems are I have to be physically present at work and DW decided after her father finally passed away that we needed to live closer to DD and a handful of grandkids. I now have a nominal 1 hr commute each way. If I could telecommute, I might be lured into part-time after my planned January 2015 retirement.

I'm still w*rking, but for some reason, that's one of my favorite hours of the week, too. And not just Monday, but M-F. I tend to wake up at 5:30 every morning, whether I need to or not, but just relax, have some coffee, and watch tv. It just seems like a relaxing, carefree time of the morning. "Petticoat Junction", of all things, comes on MeTV at 6 in the morning, and for some reason, I find it relaxing and cathartic to watch.

Or, subconsciously, maybe I want to be the Hooterville dog! :D

But then, once 6:30 rolls around, it's time to start getting serious about getting ready for w*rk, and it brings me back to reality.

Hey, you're on my schedule! 5:30am coffee, sometimes with TV, sometimes with internet surfing, or sitting out on the patio. Sometimes I'll also workout in the morning before work if I know there won't be time for it over lunch. I know what you mean about some of those old shows... Somehow I think it kind of takes me back to a time when things were easier and more simple. For some reason, American Pickers gives me the same feeling of comfort. I find myself watching that show a lot, although it's not on in the morning.

I wouldn't go back to work for all the tea in China. It will be ten years soon and I still smile when I watch commuters coming and going. I am blessed to have a good pension backstopping essentials. But if the market ever blasts away the other legs of my ER stool I will be consulting the frugal crew on this board on the appropriate life style adjustments to keep me far away from work.

That's somewhat my problem that has led to my OMY life. I can't believe how much I get paid for doing very little, with lots of vacation time, flexible hours and no stress. My only problems are I have to be physically present at work and DW decided after her father finally passed away that we needed to live closer to DD and a handful of grandkids. I now have a nominal 1 hr commute each way. If I could telecommute, I might be lured into part-time after my planned January 2015 retirement.

Same here, when my time came management offered up the telecommute option, and I took it. I didn't think it would work very well, but they persuaded me to give it a try, and I must say it's better than I expected. This may be because the nature of my work is well suited to it, all I need is a notebook computer and a fast internet connection. I'm getting about the same output while putting in far fewer work hours. Management seems thrilled that this change cured my habit of blowing off meetings, now that I don't see my co-workers very often I actually look forward to web conferences.

Same here, when my time came management offered up the telecommute option, and I took it. I didn't think it would work very well, but they persuaded me to give it a try, and I must say it's better than I expected. This may be because the nature of my work is well suited to it, all I need is a notebook computer and a fast internet connection. I'm getting about the same output while putting in far fewer work hours. Management seems thrilled that this change cured my habit of blowing off meetings, now that I don't see my co-workers very often I actually look forward to web conferences.

Back in 2001-2003, I had a mostly telecommuting, part-time work arrangement which went well until the company pulled the plug on all open-ended telecommuting. I knew it would be my eventual undoing because it brought back the horrors of the hour+ commute I so despised. Five years later, to the day the telecommuting ended, I ERed. In my exit interview, I told the HR flunkie that the main reason I was leaving was because of the commute and the company's end of open-ended telecommuting. That being said, even if they offered it back to me, I would have turned it down because going to the office even one day a week was too often!

Since my entire job centers around relationships with customers, once I quit it's all over. No way I would want to start over with a new employer. There is no way at this stage of the game I could make half what I do today with a minimal amount of effort.
This is probably the greatest reason why I'm stuck in OMY syndrome. The FI part was much more direct and absolute than the RE part of FIRE for me. Hopefully I'm making progress and will be reasonably confident enough to take the leap by early '16.

This equals me to a T. It'd be a one way street for me as well. It sucks not being able to take time off but the golden (well, gold plated anyway) handcuffs keep me sticking around. Also, after owning my own company for 11 years and reporting to no one, the idea of someday having to go back to work and report to some Other idiot other than me makes me shudder.

Mind you, I got driven to and from the Toyota dealership this week in their courtesy shuttles. Both driven by old retired guys who do four shifts of 4 hours a week. They enjoy driving around, talking to people and getting to drive the new types of vehicles every year. Not my bag at all but I guess there are opportunities if your plans don't quite work out.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

My favorite hour of the week (day?) now is between 8 AM and 9 AM because that was the hour I spent trying to get ready to catch the train to go to work. It usually included racing around and trying to force myself to eat breakfast while still groggy, often making myself a little nauseous by the time I was done running for said train. Since I ERed, I don't have to do much of anything except watch TV and do stuff on the PC before starting to eat breakfast at 9 AM, a better hour for me to have a very leisurely breakfast. :)

Sadly, I am often awake at 5:30 AM because I have to pee. But I can go back to sleep and not have t worry about oversleeping the alarm clock cuz I don't need to use one any more LOL!

Back
Top Bottom