Join Early Retirement Today

One Million and Health Insurance
Old 06-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

One Million and Health Insurance

Is there anyone who couldn't as of today make it on a 1 million portfolio and Medicare or some type of life time guaranteed health insurance plan.No debt and no mortgage. Assuming age 58 (65 if considering M'care), what would be your asset allocation for the 1 m .
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hopefully there would be some Social Security coming also. To answer your question directly many could make it. However some with higher expectations would feel deprived. It also makes a difference as to what part of the country you reside in.

The optimal stock-bond allocation is debated ad-nauseum, however here is one example:

So if you have a 20-25 year life expectancy at retirement then the optimal allocation (at retirement) is 65-75% stocks
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe somewhere in flyover country. I'd have a tough time in God's Country (NJ).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #4

That is around $100,000 less than I had planned on, but I'd probably make do. I'd be 90-95% equities (I'm 27).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Maybe somewhere in flyover country. I'd have a tough time in God's Country (NJ).
How much of flyover country have you visited?

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
How much of flyover country have you visited?

2Cor521
Lessee, 6 years living in OH (near Cleveland - oh boy!) probably counts. Spent a summer in Denver and periodically return as DW's family live there.

Other places, as far as I can remember (tried to blot out some of these memories, I assure you):

- Dallas-Ft. Worth
- Cincinnati
- Indianapolis
- Several small towns in Nebraska
- Topeka
- Chicago
- Birmingham, AL
- Several places in KY
- Minneapolis
- New Orleans
- Kansas City
- Toledo
- Detroit
- Ann Arbor
- Taos & Sante Fe
- Walsenberg, CO (don't ask)

Narrowly escaped a trip to Chattanooga. Prolly been some other places in "the heartland" that I have successfully blotted out.

Lots of these places would be readily doable with a relatively high standard of living on a milion bucks with house and insurance covered. It would be a LOT easier than if you were in a high cost coastal area, though.

- George Orwell

Old 06-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #7

Brewer:

You are one well traveled man. What persuaded you to move so much ?

So after all of that relocation maybe you can give some advice on where the best chicken wings can be found !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Surely you don't plan to live in NJ the rest of your life.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
God's Country is actually the nickname of the Coulee Region of western Wisconsin..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Brewer:

You are one well traveled man. What persuaded you to move so much ?

So after all of that relocation maybe you can give some advice on where the best chicken wings can be found !
Heh, most of these places I did not live in, merely visited. Some were places I'd happily never return to. Others I would seriously consider moving to if I chose to vacate God's Country. Many others I could take or leave.

Favorite wings:

- The Feve in Oberlin, OH
- The Blind Tiger in Topeka, KS (about the town's only redeeming feature, IMO)

- George Orwell

Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
Is there anyone who couldn't as of today make it on a 1 million portfolio and Medicare or some type of life time guaranteed health insurance plan.No debt and no mortgage. Assuming age 58 (65 if considering M'care), what would be your asset allocation for the 1 m .
Back to the original question...too many "ifs". One person? No problem. 2 people? maybe, family of 6 (like me) with 4 kids to put thru college? probably not.

Could it be done? Absolutely. Even at a 4% SWR, thats 40K to live on...lots of folks get by on a lot less than that, and still have to pay medical and mortgage or rent.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #12

under those conditions, no mortgage, no debt, paid health insur., we (2 of us) could make it on 1mil portfolio ... It would make us tighten up a bit, but do-able.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #13

Me, easy;
Me and DW, yup;
Me, DW and 2 kids soon to be in college, nope!
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:28 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
Yes we could get by @ 58 on 1mm @ 4% ($40k). The allocation would be 60/30/10 (S/B/C). When I say get by, we could live a good lifestyle on that amount. The 40% in Int bonds and cash would cover 10 years of Stock market slump (in a bad scenario).

But, we have plans for a higher income level (won't elaborate) So, our target Portfolio amount is higher.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #15

Yeah, I could make it with $1million. But I wouldn't want to. I don't hate my work so much that I am willing to make that drastic a cut in lifestyle. I am not retiring from a mega-corp job where I sit in a cubicle all day filling out "TSP reports"(lol), I actually enjoy my work... well... parts of it... usually....sometimes....not really.

At any rate, I think I can withstand a few more years of work for the opportunity to build a larger nest egg and a larger income.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #16

I'd be living well with $1M and health insurance. Single, no kids, a modest lifestyle. I'd be about 60/30/10 stocks, income producing and cash.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yeah, I could make it with $1million. But I wouldn't want to. I don't hate my work so much that I am willing to make that drastic a cut in lifestyle. I am not retiring from a mega-corp job where I sit in a cubicle all day filling out "TSP reports"(lol), I actually enjoy my work... well... parts of it... usually....sometimes....not really.

I dunno. Since it is summer and I am trapped in an over-airconditioned office for too many hours a day, lately my mind has been drifting to other summers in my life. In particular, there was a summer I stayed behind at the town where I went to college in Ohio instead of going back to NYC with my family. I didn't exactly have a lot of money, and work was menial stuff minding the office at the gym or doing one-off catering slob work (lots of weddings where people in rural Ohio getting married - never thought I'd see a bride in a miniskirt). But I didn't actually work that many hours and the work generally wasn't taxing. And I had an apartment with modest rent, a beater pick-up truck to run around in (when it ran - bungy cord holding the hood shut was just the start), and several friends who stuck around that summer.

What I had at the time that I don't have now is leisure time and a fair amount of freedom. And the time was memorable, since I can still quite clearly recall many of the events of that summer, while now the dreary work days all just seem to drift by in a blur. I bet I could recreate the freedom bit a lot better with the million bucks and health insurance, especially if I were single and willing to relocate to small-town Ohio. The prospect becomes increasingly attractive (except the single part) as I get older and more burnt out.

- George Orwell

Old 06-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

1993. 350k. NO health insurance. Age 49. Fish camp on Lake Ponchartrain.

God's Country? You betcha - cause the SO said so. Like the recent Wachovia TV ad retire or transfer. In my case layed off.

Hindsight at age 63 would I do it again? Who knows?

BTW - you get the 1 mil by being a really cheap bastard in retirement and be lucky enough to have Mr Market do it's 90's thing and no major illness. A 1995 tornado making us homeless for 6 wks and Katrina causing a sight 1000 mile move inland were good tests of adjustments sometimes reguired in ER.

God's Country is now greater Kansas City 'above the Missouri floodplain".

Maybe not Overland Park but something around Faucett near the water tower mabbe a half mil with one hand tied behind my back with my cheap hat on.

heh heh heh - little tongue in cheek bragging. Target Retirement out of the can - take 5% variable and party on. In real life now that I got old(63) - small non cola pension and early SS cover 40% and 60% aka the frivolous stuff from 5% variable.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lessee, 6 years living in OH (near Cleveland - oh boy!) probably counts. Spent a summer in Denver and periodically return as DW's family live there.

Other places, as far as I can remember (tried to blot out some of these memories, I assure you):

I asked because I live in "flyover country" and interpreted the term somewhat pejoratively. I also lived in central NJ for about three years, spending a lot of time in the Philly-NY corridor with a few side trips to the River Gap area and an Air Force base over in SE Jersey. While the River Gap and central NJ parts are gorgeous, up towards Newark and SE Jersey are not my favorite parts of the world.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I asked because I live in "flyover country" and interpreted the term somewhat pejoratively. I also lived in central NJ for about three years, spending a lot of time in the Philly-NY corridor with a few side trips to the River Gap area and an Air Force base over in SE Jersey. While the River Gap and central NJ parts are gorgeous, up towards Newark and SE Jersey are not my favorite parts of the world.

2Cor521
I will be the first to admit that there are wide swaths of NJ that aren't pretty. DW and I refer to a lengthy stretch of the NJ Turnpike as "Mordor" ("the very air you breathe is a poison...").

But it doesn't make me any more eager to return to Dallas ("hey, let's put the stockyard in the middle of downtown!"), or Indianapolis.

- George Orwell

Tags
health insurance