Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
At 50, I am on my 4th different career, let alone job.
Is that due to having a short attention span or because Gumby is very flexible?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #22
Administrator

Some of my choices have been dictated by circumstance, some by my desires . . . ooh look! Something shiny!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am a fully independent women, I own the house and pay the bills and the man who lives with me just pays me some rent money. This has been going on 22 years now. I have had 3 long stretches of unemployment and he has had a few. Sometimes I start to resent the entire burden being on me. When I am unemployed I have done things around the house even chores like lawn mowing he normally does. When he isn't working or looking for work I resent still having to be the one to decide what is for dinner, cook and do the dishes. But I like my job and sometimes he does chores when unemployed. Even when working full time he will go on the roof to get the moss off or do other hard chores so I don't resent him much or often.

Now he will be 62 in a couple of months, has almost nothing saved for retirement and wants to retire. He will get about 1,200 in SS and 750 in pensions he owes me 800 a month for his share of rent and utilities so will need to make less than 1,200 cover all his personal bills. I never agreed to pay for his food so this year I stopped shopping for food unless I wanted something. He ends up going food shopping, I want him to start to think how much he really needs a month to retire. He still owes a loan and has toys he needs to maintain and doesn't plan to buy health insurance.
After decades of me doing without to invest for retirement and pay for a house I am not going to use my life savings to pay for his license tabs for his Harley or pay for gas for his truck and camper and my boat. He will need to choose between retired with a small lifestyle or not retired with more lifestyle. I tell him my investments are losing money and I have a mortgage for another 14 years so I can't retire until I am 74. He doesn't know I just sent a big payment to the mortgage company to knock off a few years and could cash out investments to pay it off.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
I am a fully independent women, I own the house and pay the bills and the man who lives with me just pays me some rent money. This has been going on 22 years now. I have had 3 long stretches of unemployment and he has had a few. Sometimes I start to resent the entire burden being on me. When I am unemployed I have done things around the house even chores like lawn mowing he normally does. When he isn't working or looking for work I resent still having to be the one to decide what is for dinner, cook and do the dishes. But I like my job and sometimes he does chores when unemployed. Even when working full time he will go on the roof to get the moss off or do other hard chores so I don't resent him much or often.

Now he will be 62 in a couple of months, has almost nothing saved for retirement and wants to retire. He will get about 1,200 in SS and 750 in pensions he owes me 800 a month for his share of rent and utilities so will need to make less than 1,200 cover all his personal bills. I never agreed to pay for his food so this year I stopped shopping for food unless I wanted something. He ends up going food shopping, I want him to start to think how much he really needs a month to retire. He still owes a loan and has toys he needs to maintain and doesn't plan to buy health insurance.
After decades of me doing without to invest for retirement and pay for a house I am not going to use my life savings to pay for his license tabs for his Harley or pay for gas for his truck and camper and my boat. He will need to choose between retired with a small lifestyle or not retired with more lifestyle. I tell him my investments are losing money and I have a mortgage for another 14 years so I can't retire until I am 74. He doesn't know I just sent a big payment to the mortgage company to knock off a few years and could cash out investments to pay it off.
At least you aren't married
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I appreciate your candor. When I read some of the stories on here I think, who are these women who will let a guy sit around at home? And who are these men who are good housekeepers, cooks, and loving go-fers? I just don't know many of either of these in my day to day life. I didn't mind my wife not working because she was mother to my kids, an incredible cook, a good housekeeper, and an over-the -top lover. When the kids got older though, I thought I could care for them quite well; I had already make a fair amount of money, and I thought she could haul some of that water too. Some earned income, even a small amount, is a really nice counter to the volatility of investment earnings.

But when I wanted to hang around home and play tennis I discovered a few things. I was a poor housekeeper, a mediocre cook, and without commenting on my love skills suffice it to say that a good looking woman can find all of that she can handle in about ten minutes. On a slow day.

So although I don't want to assume that many people are not very different, I would advise any young man to put his career first and don't think some woman is going to enjoy taking care of you. Most of them will not, in my limited experience.

Ha
Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #26

Don't sell yourself short, I think you're a great lover Ha.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Don't sell yourself short, I think you're a great lover Ha.

But how does he cook?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Is that due to having a short attention span or because Gumby is very flexible?
From submarines to lawyer... it's because he likes going to classes and long meetings...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the replies.

I said that I don't like my job but let me elaborate a little.

My job is lots of sitting around down time punctuated by spurts of work that require specialized skills and some phisical labor.( no iam not a cop)
I do enjoy the times when the work is actually allowing me to get out of my chair.

Also the plus side of this job is I get a TON of time off, can go home for 1.5 hour lunches, Get to work 4 day weeks in the summer months. The reason I say I don't like it is because it basically boars me to tears 90% of the time.
The fringe benifets are what keeps me around. Pay is decent for this area.

I know that another job may entertain my mind and body more throughout the day but would require much more of my time, and me likes my time off.

Basically I have decided that for me, right now, its better to spend my week looking foward to my 3 day weekend and 1.5 hour lunches than to have a job where I have to spend my weekends working on top of my week even if I would enjoy the work more. And in this area, what I get paid here is about the top pay for my age group, unless you own a business.

Thanks again...
nnkrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

IMO, if the couple is otherwise FI and at a level they mutually agreed on, then the working spouse has no right to complain about a non-working spouse.

Housekeeper issues shouldn't be any different than it was while both were working. Any conflict or resentment is probably just the working spouse acting out on how much s/he really hates w*rking. Worst case, just hire a housekeeper with the unneeded cash flow from the working spouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I appreciate your candor. When I read some of the stories on here I think, who are these women who will let a guy sit around at home? And who are these men who are good housekeepers, cooks, and loving go-fers?
I've found that people that are on vacation or are retired are far more pleasant to be around than those who work -- more relaxed, more happy, far less stressed. A happy husband is worth far more than a husband that cleans.
Cruising2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So although I don't want to assume that many people are not very different, I would advise any young man to put his career first and don't think some woman is going to enjoy taking care of you. Most of them will not, in my limited experience.
It's kind of unfortunate. While that job's not done in some areas, to some degree the stereotype and gender expectation for women to be barefoot, pregnant and judged by her family and her domesticity has been overcome -- and it's become socially acceptable for women to become successful career people in the working world. The same is generally not true for men. Men are still expected to be wed to their careers and be breadwinners first and foremost.

Even if a woman has a very secure and lucrative career, a man who stays at home is judged frequently as a slacker, as a lazy bum, as a loser, as a useless ne'er-do-well and a parasite.

Lovely double standard.

Sure, there are exceptions -- probably some here on this board, too -- but let's be honest here: the "woman as domestic engineer and mother" stereotype, while still somewhat prevalent in some circles, is a lot closer to being completely shattered than the "man as breadwinner and provider" stereotype.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #32

That's a very good point Z.

People who wouldn't dare criticize a stay-at-home mother who continues to not work even though the kids are old enough to be in school all day would have no problem frowning upon a man who didn't work in the same situation.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Maybe it is time to reexamine your relationship? It sounds like if he retires your resentment is going to boil over .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I appreciate your candor. When I read some of the stories on here I think, who are these women who will let a guy sit around at home? And who are these men who are good housekeepers, cooks, and loving go-fers? I just don't know many of either of these in my day to day life. I didn't mind my wife not working because she was mother to my kids, an incredible cook, a good housekeeper, and an over-the -top lover. When the kids got older though, I thought I could care for them quite well; I had already make a fair amount of money, and I thought she could haul some of that water too. Some earned income, even a small amount, is a really nice counter to the volatility of investment earnings.

But when I wanted to hang around home and play tennis I discovered a few things. I was a poor housekeeper, a mediocre cook, and without commenting on my love skills suffice it to say that a good looking woman can find all of that she can handle in about ten minutes. On a slow day.

Ha
A while back I 'kept' a younger man for three years even while he was unemployed (the business closed) because among other things he did house work and repair, and rearranged the house to make it easier to maintain, and yard work, and auto maintenance.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

It seems to me that his retirement budget of $1950/month might not be enough to both pay $800/month rent AND keep up with his loan, toys, and other expenses. And what are you going to do when he gets sick, and the hospital wants some financial guarantees? You would be in a difficult spot.

He needs to be living somewhere where the rent is not so high. I agree that he needs to become accustomed to his own financial independence, before he can retire.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
It seems to me that his retirement budget of $1950/month might not be enough to both pay $800/month rent AND keep up with his loan, toys, and other expenses. And what are you going to do when he gets sick, and the hospital wants some financial guarantees? You would be in a difficult spot.

He needs to be living somewhere where the rent is not so high. I agree that he needs to become accustomed to his own financial independence, before he can retire.
Rich men talk; poor men walk.

Ha
Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Even if a woman has a very secure and lucrative career, a man who stays at home is judged frequently as a slacker, as a lazy bum, as a loser, as a useless ne'er-do-well and a parasite.

If it's all working out well for the couple, who cares what judgmental people think? I mean, seriously. Is someone writing threatening slogans on their house and burning crosses on their lawn? That's about the point at which I'd start to get concerned about public reaction.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

If it's all working out well for the couple, who cares what judgmental people think? I mean, seriously. Is someone writing threatening slogans on their house and burning crosses on their lawn? That's about the point at which I'd start to get concerned about public reaction.

I tend to agree. However, you know how people get
Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I tend to agree. However, you know how "people get"

Just my point. Unless "people" are actually coming to "get" somebody, that somebody should keep doing what works for them, assuming it's legal, does no harm to anyone else, and isn't selfish jerk behavior. That's my story and I've stuck to it all my life.

That being said, I am unable to see how a man keeping house while a woman works, harms anyone else.

Husband is retired, while I work my butt off outside the home, and also do all the banking and correspondence...fortunately, he worked in a hotel summers while going to college, so knows one end of a vacuum cleaner from the other. And far from being criticized, we know of several men, from 20 to 70 years old, who openly envy him.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
And far from being criticized, we know of several men, from 20 to 70 years old, who openly envy him.
Add another one who's 43 to the list.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote