Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
JDW, I believe the "tag line that appeared in EVERY post walt made" (hint: it's a default signature--you can create one too if you go to your profile page and it will appear with every post you make thereafter until you turn it off) was created by Walt eons ago before he started his part time gig that apparently funds his motorcycle/pickup truck obsessions and he just never modified it. You can PM Walt with your concerns if you want him to change it for you. But I believe he still packs heat in his semiretirement occupation so most of us let him use whatever "tag line" he wants. And if he relies on his pre-retirement skillset there'll be no hiding from him. Just a word to the wise
he may very well have created it "eons ago" but he defended it as true in this thread. btw i fully support our law enforcement personel (as well as our military) but that isnt justification to be misleading.
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, JDW, you asked a lot of questions, you got answers.

You have a nice life now.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hey, JDW, you asked a lot of questions, you got answers.

You have a nice life now.
if you care to look, originally, i really only asked 1 question http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...7&postcount=18

and ty, u have a nice life too
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think one thing to remember is that Walt is not trying to deceive anyone. Many of us have been here for a while, and we more or less know one another's stories.

A more senior poster really has no responsibility to constantly reprise every new person who comes along.

Also, had you phrased your concern as something other than a challenge it might have gone better. He said now"", I imagine that he knows that most of us know that he is a man who retired, and then went back to work at some job other than that which he had retired from. Also remember that the topic was one spouse working, one "retired"". His post makes it clear that he is the working one.

If you look at the post you pointed to, you will see that Walt said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34
We're in that situation now - I'm working, she's not.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #65

Ok, I modified the tag line. Hopefully that'll clarify the issue.... lol
Old 03-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
As far as I know, there is no ANSI-like central organization setting FIRE standards and definitions.
You obviously forgot about IEEE 3.14159, otherwise known as the fipi standard. It's main component is security, although recently there have been exploits posted on CNBC.

Just to chime in, I'm on JDW's side, from a clarity point if not a popularity one. I like labels. I considered myself FI for 3 years before I was ER. Just hanging around for the medical benefits. Although, as someone up above said, this issue pops up fairly often. Even if a consensus is reached, it's pretty much igored. Just like most standards.

And to chime in on textspeak, I'm on the old fogeys' side. Give me that old time religion (spelling and grammar). It's easy to forgive poor spelling and construction. Nobody is perfect. However, the textspeak is just plain annoying.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Ok, I modified the tag line. Hopefully that'll clarify the issue.... lol
Walt, I modified my tag line, too. Hopefully it will prevent any further angst.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You obviously forgot about IEEE 3.14159, otherwise known as the fipi standard. It's main component is security, although recently there have been exploits posted on CNBC.

And to chime in on textspeak, I'm on the old fogeys' side. Give me that old time religion (spelling and grammar). It's easy to forgive poor spelling and construction. Nobody is perfect. However, the textspeak is just plain annoying.
If you are looking for spelling and grammar, better find another board.

Ha
Old 03-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #69
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If you are looking for spelling and grammar, better find another board.

The bored don't spell too well?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
The bored don't spell too well?
Whut r u talken bout?
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkrealtor View Post

I said that I don't like my job but let me elaborate a little.

Also the plus side of this job is I get a TON of time off, can go home for 1.5 hour lunches, Get to work 4 day weeks in the summer months. The reason I say I don't like it is because it basically boars me to tears 90% of the time.
The fringe benifets are what keeps me around. Pay is decent for this area.

I know that another job may entertain my mind and body more throughout the day but would require much more of my time, and me likes my time off.

Basically I have decided that for me, right now, its better to spend my week looking foward to my 3 day weekend and 1.5 hour lunches than to have a job where I have to spend my weekends working on top of my week even if I would enjoy the work more. And in this area, what I get paid here is about the top pay for my age group, unless you own a business.
This is the crux of a problem many employed people express on this forum. Maybe you just need to find a way to entertain yourself during down times at work. You are right that a job you love can burn you out really fast. BTDT
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW! an acutal reply to my post, I can't believe it!!! jk this has been very entertaining.
Cuppa, I try to entertain myself on forums like this one during down time and I can honestly say that I have learned more on the forums then I ever did in college. I make it a point to Google and learn a little bit about a different subject every day.
nnkrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkrealtor View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I said that I don't like my job but let me elaborate a little.

My job is lots of sitting around down time punctuated by spurts of work that require specialized skills and some phisical labor.( no iam not a cop)
I do enjoy the times when the work is actually allowing me to get out of my chair.

Also the plus side of this job is I get a TON of time off, can go home for 1.5 hour lunches, Get to work 4 day weeks in the summer months. The reason I say I don't like it is because it basically boars me to tears 90% of the time.
The fringe benifets are what keeps me around. Pay is decent for this area.

I know that another job may entertain my mind and body more throughout the day but would require much more of my time, and me likes my time off.

Basically I have decided that for me, right now, its better to spend my week looking foward to my 3 day weekend and 1.5 hour lunches than to have a job where I have to spend my weekends working on top of my week even if I would enjoy the work more. And in this area, what I get paid here is about the top pay for my age group, unless you own a business.

Thanks again...
Thought I'd give you ANOTHER answer to your post!

While my job doesn't provide quite as much time off as yours (we have 30 minute lunches compared with your 90 minute, and so on), still I usually work 40 hours/week instead of the 90+ hour work weeks that some jobs seem to be demanding lately. At times, my job can be tedious, and the workload is very uneven - - some weeks there is very little to do, and other weeks there is an avalanche of work. It is the nature of this job. Anyway, when there isn't much to do I think about and plan my retirement. Keeps me busy, and once I retire I can do whatever I want to do with my time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Using definitions that we all agree on makes discussions much, much, easier.
So true, especially when numbers are involved. I recall 2 - 3 years ago one of our senior posters, now aparently departed, took a position regarding withdrawal strategies that was new and controversial at the time. I wasn't aware that his younger, working spouse made a six figure salary, brought home nice benefits and planned to work for several more years. Once that was brought out and I looked at it from his point of view, his position on withdrawal strategies became very understandable....... at least as a viable strategy for him.

We get into this kind of thing when discussing managing retirement portfolios as well. Folks with significant pensions, expected large inheritances, etc., are in a different positon than folks retired on only passive portfolio income with perhaps a smidgen of SS to look forward to. And, of course, there are all of us somewhere in the middle with "small" pensions to look forward to.

In a discussion such as the one in this thread where the discussion topic is subjective and more related to lifestyle decisions than to financial strategies, background/situational disclosure is not so important. Opinions on these matters are more a case of "feelings" and personal choices and are less dependent on specific circumstances.

So, yeah, common definitions of things like "being retired," "retirement income" and the like are handy in understanding where the poster is coming from. I agree with Ha that a senior poster has no obligation to bring newbies up to date on their personal circumstances, although it is nice when a really brief mention is made: "My income is 50% pension/SS and 50% passive portfolio earnings and therefore my choice of AA is.......blaaah, blaaah, blaaah...... Or, "I'm retired at 50 but my spouse is 15 yrs younger and makes $300k/yr so my choice for AA is.......blaaah, blaaah, blaaah...... This as opposed to: "Everyone should have the following AA......."

Our decisions regarding reaching FIRE or living life after FIRE are our own and unique to ourselves. Few investment or lifestyle choices are so generic that they apply to all equally. So, it is helpful to know a few basics about the related personal circumstance leading the poster to his/her opinion and to be able to discuss those things within the framework of some generally understood definitions.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

My roommate/boyfriend went to the unemployment office today to find out how it works. Now he says he will work another year then the next summer he will quit working Saturdays so we can go fishing. He can earn 14K a year on SS then let them know to quit paying him. The thing is since he will work hard one more year he makes a level at work that is something I wanted him to do. Once he gets there he only needs to work 1,200 hours a year to get medical insurance and will not be required to work 70% of available work or lose his job, and builds a bigger pension. I don't tell him what to do but wait for him to come across the answer on his own.
Now this summer he wants to take two long trips on his Harley to see his uncle. He may not get it done for lack of time but at least he can go once, maybe for NASCAR when all his cousins are going. That will take him all summer to decide when to go. When we are old the time flies so one or two events makes a year. A summer/fall bike trip and winter sturgeon fishing trip and it will be spring again.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:26 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
My roommate/boyfriend went to the unemployment office today to find out how it works. Now he says he will work another year then the next summer he will quit working Saturdays so we can go fishing. He can earn 14K a year on SS then let them know to quit paying him. The thing is since he will work hard one more year he makes a level at work that is something I wanted him to do. Once he gets there he only needs to work 1,200 hours a year to get medical insurance and will not be required to work 70% of available work or lose his job, and builds a bigger pension. I don't tell him what to do but wait for him to come across the answer on his own.
Now this summer he wants to take two long trips on his Harley to see his uncle. He may not get it done for lack of time but at least he can go once, maybe for NASCAR when all his cousins are going. That will take him all summer to decide when to go. When we are old the time flies so one or two events makes a year. A summer/fall bike trip and winter sturgeon fishing trip and it will be spring again.

nnkrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
When we are old the time flies so one or two events makes a year. A summer/fall bike trip and winter sturgeon fishing trip and it will be spring again.
So true! Where did all the endless afternoons go?

Ha