Join Early Retirement Today

One-time qualified Health Savings Account (HSA) funding distribution
Old 07-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

One-time qualified Health Savings Account (HSA) funding distribution

Someone asked about this a few years ago on this site. I read about it in IRS Pub 590-B. Here is the link

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b

"You may be able to make a qualified HSA funding distribution from your traditional IRA or Roth IRA to your HSA."

"Generally, only one qualified HSA funding distribution is allowed during your lifetime."

The only situation anyone could come up with where this would be beneficial is where you wanted to start an HSA but had no money. Since both the income and HSA deduction are above the AGI line and both are part of Obama MAGI, I see no benefit to this. Anyone see differently?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The HSA is the only one that gets all 3 of the tax benefits:1) deduction when contributed,2) tax-deferred growth, and 3)tax free withdrawals (for qualified expenses). TIRA only gets 1) & 2) and Roth only gets 2) & 3).

If you do the one-time -transfer from TIRA, you don't get the deduction ( but the money got it when you contributed to TIRA) but you add 3) for an additional benefit. If you do the one-time transfer from Roth, you don't get the deduction so the benefits are the same as Roth so no gain.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:54 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
The only situation anyone could come up with where this would be beneficial is where you wanted to start an HSA but had no money. Since both the income and HSA deduction are above the AGI line and both are part of Obama MAGI, I see no benefit to this. Anyone see differently?
Right, thatís what I figured out. You needed the money for health expenses, but only had IRA money available.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:09 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Maybe this can help me? I just retired at 61.5 from Megacorp and am paying them (at COBRA rates) for my retiree health insurance until I turn 65. Gold plan. I have little $ in my HSA to pay the premiums, plenty in my tIRA. It would be helpful if I had 3+ years in premiums in the HSA. What do you think?
Catawba Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:22 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Just wondering if this option might come in handy if one of us needs long-term care.

If/when one of us needs long term care if there isn't enough in our HSAs to cover it we could transfer a few years worth of long-term care expenses to the HSA from our tIRA and then use the HSA to pay for the long-term care expenses.

To the extent that we use the money for qualified expenses we avoid tax on the tIRA withdrawal.

If we don't drain the HSA then it can be withdrawn and will be taxed, but that is no different from just withdrawing the money from the tIRA that it was in to begin with.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catawba Chuck View Post
Maybe this can help me? I just retired at 61.5 from Megacorp and am paying them (at COBRA rates) for my retiree health insurance until I turn 65. Gold plan. I have little $ in my HSA to pay the premiums, plenty in my tIRA. It would be helpful if I had 3+ years in premiums in the HSA. What do you think?
It might, but usually COBRA is only 18 months and COBRA premiums are eligible expenses, but I question if you would want to blow your once in a lifetime opportunity to do a transfer for a tax benefit on 18 months of COBRA expenses.

Even if your COBRA is $2k a month that's $36k in total... and how much can the tax benefit on $36k of withdrawals spread over two tax years be?

Old 07-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think you are still stuck with the annual funding max? Including other contributions.

So you probably can’t do it after 65 either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcarl.../#321d108435fc
Old 07-11-2020, 06:57 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think you are still stuck with the annual funding max? Including other contributions.

So you probably canít do it after 65 either.

I agree and found one further limitation. With a normal contribution you have until the due date of the return. With this one time thing, I read that it must during the year. So, deadline for 2020 is 12/31/20, not 4/15/21.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:15 AM   #9

It seemed promising, but in fact has a very limited benefit.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

So you probably canít do it after 65 either.

Yup... I see now... in that case it is next to useless IMO.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Hereís where it would be beneficial (IMO) - if you are retired and canít funnel wages into an HSA but you are receive RMDs from an inherited IRA, you can make a one time transfer from that inherited IRA to an HSA and have it count as your RMD for that year. The result is that you wonít pay tax on the distribution (or have it count against ACA rates) and yet get to add it to your HSA. And once in the HSA, as others have said, you withdraw it tax free as long as it pays for valid expenses.

Some say thereís a risk that you wonít be in a high deductible insurance plan for the next 12 months - I donít see that happening.
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:47 AM   #12

I did this, for those of us who have most of our money in IRAs it allows us to make contributions without pulling money from the limited after tax accounts.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote