Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe 35 years ago we were growing our rentals - borrowed against a fixed up place to buy another; did that several times using a local bank. Really was clueless that there were other options or rates. Used that local bank to make all the rental check deposits and pay the bills. Bank changed it's name about three times, but we stayed with the building. Bank managers and tellers came and went, but we were constant.

In 2010 we bid on a house while traveling through California - kept going on our trip and in Payson Arizona the auction company was calling us saying we had to sign contract immediately and pungle up a pretty substantial amount of cash - immediately. I called our hometown bank, they recognized my voice, went through some verification, and we had the funds transferred and did the house purchase using a phone and the motel computer and fax ability.

Now we still have and use the hometown bank, as well as Chase, as Chase has branches all over. Good to have a safe deposit box and a handy notary. Most of the cash is in online banks though, dragging down that ~1% interest, and with a telephone and computer we have wires sent to title companies to fund closings with loans we make to flippers. I find the online banks - Discover is one we use - can make the transfer of funds very fast and easy.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Being a U.S. Air Force Veteran, Chase gives us a free Premium checking account and free safe deposit box. We use the account for daily/periodic expenses as our SS checks get deposited automatically each month. We use Bill Pay and have an Amazon 5% back CC through Chase. This works very well. Cash is obtained via a ATM card. We have four Chase offices within a 5 mile radius of us.

All other financial stuff is in Vanguard, Schwab or PenFed where it's all electronic transfers, payments,etc. We do keep a checking account with ALLY Bank also.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

We use both local CU and web based (USAA) banks. It's always good to have options.
MrFlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm primarily online, but found many reasons to use local bank:
- Medallion signature guarantee (needed to move securities online)
- Getting Cash / Depositing Cash / Converting Cash & Coins
- Certified or cashiers checks
- I don't like or use ATM's
- free donuts & coffee on fridays
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We went 100% online with no brick and mortar bank in 2006 and it has worked well for us. Mobile check deposit, when it came, made things even easier as we had no checks to mail for deposit. We made some changes a few years ago with Vanguard that required Medallion Signatures and we used our local Chase bank free of charge as we had Chase credit cards. We needed Medallion signatures with Vanguard again just before we left and when I moaned about it to our rep, and asked how we were supposed to do this from the UK once we'd moved he said that a Notary would work so we had the documents notarised instead. (Our apartment complex keeps a Notary on hand free of charge, so it was no problem in the end)

We kept our UK bank all the time we were living in the USA and used it online exclusively since the closest brick and mortar bank was thousands of miles away. Since we moved back we now have a branch of our main bank close by - a 10 minute walk - but 99% of our usage is online although we have walked in a few times during this last year to do things that would have been harder online or by phone. We have never had a check to deposit since all businesses and institutions here do things electronically and we have already moved house since arriving here as we rented for 10 months before we bought and moved. The entire process was done online or by phone - when we had to pay £275,000 for the house at "closing" I had to speak at length to a "high value transfer agent" as that sum was well over the limit for an unassisted online payment.

Last night my son, in Texas, told me that the forwarded mail included another 2 checks with refunds from accounts we had closed when we left (AT&T plus our security deposit from the apartment we used to rent). US business are all set up to take your money electronically via credit card or direct debit but rarely seem to give refunds except by physical check. We have become used to this with our extensive travel over the past 7 years so he simply takes a photograph of each check front and check and emails them to me. I then do mobile check deposits. (We've kept a US bank as I still have my pensions paid into it plus we use it for our Vanguard accounts).
Just a thought after a few more years you might check the abandoned property site for the state in question. I recently had a check dribble in a few years after I moved and it eventually showed up in the unclaimed property site. In particular settlements to lawsuits can show up this way years after you have moved.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Just a thought after a few more years you might check the abandoned property site for the state in question. I recently had a check dribble in a few years after I moved and it eventually showed up in the unclaimed property site. In particular settlements to lawsuits can show up this way years after you have moved.
Good to know. Thanks.
Capital One 360 - Online Bank
Old 03-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #67
Confused about dryer sheets

Capital One 360 - Online Bank

Virtually all of our banking is online. The bit that isn't is an ATM to get cash which I rarely carry anymore.

I haven't been into a bank branch in years. I see them littering street corners and I wonder who goes in there and for what. I suspect in a handful of years, bank branches will be closing in record numbers as online banking and "smart" ATMs with remote tellers become the norm.

Sadly local bank branches will become another victim of technology and the associated local jobs will be lost.

I'm sure the executives will enjoy fat bonuses for cutting costs and increasing profits.
Zero_Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

My only hesitation in going online bank exclusive is the occasional circumstance where I need to withdraw or deposit a large some of cash, say $5,000-10,000. Is there anyone that has found a work around?
MatatuPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:41 AM   #69

Thanks, OP, for the thread. We have both options, and have considered getting out of the local B&M bank business.

Interesting comments.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:31 AM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatatuPuncher View Post
My only hesitation in going online bank exclusive is the occasional circumstance where I need to withdraw or deposit a large some of cash, say $5,000-10,000. Is there anyone that has found a work around?
If you are still in the cash economy to that extent then I would think you still need to have a walk in bank or credit union available.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Typically I either wire or ACH large sums of money. Wouldn't want to carry that kind of cash around.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:06 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Typically I either wire or ACH large sums of money. Wouldn't want to carry that kind of cash around.
Yes, agreed and I certainly don't do it much. It just seems like there are maybe 1-3 times per year when I need it or need to get rid of it. Car/motorcycle purchase or sale, cash to a contractor or mechanic for a substantial discount or a very spur of the moment trip to Vegas.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:19 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I guess I'd never trust a contractor or mechanic that offered discounts for cash. If they're likely cheating on taxes what is the quality of work they'd be doing for me to save a few bucks?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I guess I'd never trust a contractor or mechanic that offered discounts for cash. If they're likely cheating on taxes what is the quality of work they'd be doing for me to save a few bucks?
+1
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:21 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I do almost all my own car and home repair so I don't do this often but there is occasionally the need. I always use a known person with a good rep and it's usually a one or two person small business. In my experience they will do a far better job than some of the big companies. They have their word of mouth reputation to rely on for new business. Last week I had a slow air leak on a custom race-tuned suspension and the repair is a bit above my skill level. It turned out to be simple fix, done in my garage and was charged $100. If I took this to one of the big shops it would have been a thousand. Did the guy claim the $100 as income? Don't know and not my problem. He's the one running the business.

As for online bank use only; i'll probably have stick with at least one brick an mortar establishment.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do almost all my own car and home repair so I don't do this often but there is occasionally the need. I always use a known person with a good rep and it's usually a one or two person small business. In my experience they will do a far better job than some of the big companies. They have their word of mouth reputation to rely on for new business. Last week I had a slow air leak on a custom race-tuned suspension and the repair is a bit above my skill level. It turned out to be simple fix, done in my garage and was charged $100. If I took this to one of the big shops it would have been a thousand. Did the guy claim the $100 as income? Don't know and not my problem. He's the one running the business.

As for online bank use only; i'll probably have stick with at least one brick an mortar establishment.

It's your choice who you do business with. Is he insured? If he'd been hurt in your garage who would pay his medical bills? If he doesn't pay his payroll and income taxes, others pick up the bills later on. Not your problem? We'll see.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 PM   #77

I hadn't used a B & M bank for over 15 years until I moved back to the states 1 1/2 years ago. I opened an account at my local credit union primarily to get the cheapest safe deposit box in my area. They did come in handy when I needed a cashier's check for the purchase of a condo. I didn't want to wire the funds to the lawyer before the closing day. They also provide free notarization services.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I've only skimmed this thread, so my apologies if this has already been answered.

What are some of the advantages of using a Internet-only bank over a B&M + full Internet bank?

My local bank has nice folks and comprehensive services in the lobby, safe deposit boxes, etc. And they also have a good web site where I can scan deposits in, pay bills, open accounts, move money between accounts, etc. It's a branch of a regional bank.

I'm trying to think of what I would gain by moving to an Internet-only bank........ What am I missing?
Old 03-30-2017, 12:28 AM   #79

My online bank provides an ATM card usable with no fee across all major ATM providers. Therefore no need to find a specific bank's ATM or pay $3-$5 to withdraw cash "out of network." Also free ACH transfers and easy to wire funds.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:02 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Footprint View Post
Virtually all of our banking is online. The bit that isn't is an ATM to get cash which I rarely carry anymore.

I haven't been into a bank branch in years. I see them littering street corners and I wonder who goes in there and for what. I suspect in a handful of years, bank branches will be closing in record numbers as online banking and "smart" ATMs with remote tellers become the norm.

Sadly local bank branches will become another victim of technology and the associated local jobs will be lost.

I'm sure the executives will enjoy fat bonuses for cutting costs and increasing profits.
This as already been happening in droves since the financial crisis, and continues to do so. Several recent articles on the subject: https://www.google.com/search?q=have...&client=safari