Join Early Retirement Today

Online savings rates drop....what to do?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Online savings rates drop....what to do?

well, I've got a substantial amount of $$ on hand in an online savings thru Amtrust. It yielded about 5.4 APR for the last 9 months or so Ive had it. allthewhile, my ING acct sat idle as their rate had been in the 4's.

Amtrust just dropped to 4.7 or so (based on my calculations...i didnt actually see it advertised on their site...ill have to look @ my statement).

Who's offering 5+% rates, even if introductory for 6 months+? I usually goto Bankrate, but am wondering if anyone uses other sites?

I wish I'd pulled the trigger on the PenFed 6% Cd...I should've done it with at least half.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

https://www.everbank.com/

6.01% APY introductory.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The money market fund screen at WellsFargo shows several 5+% MMfunds are around, so that's another site you can use. Or just use your online broker's screen for CDs. Issues come and go, so since they are ephemeral one has to screen every week to see the best rates.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the Rate Chasers:

Best current APY/APRs: The Daughter of The Mother - Checking, Saving, and Money Market: All Liquid Accnt Interest Rates!
Old 10-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another alternative is the publicly traded bond closed end fund PPT. It yields in excess of 5% and the manager periodically buys back shares, sometimes considerably above current market prices.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

You may want to consider 7 or 28 day auction rate preferred's. $25,000 increments. Double collateralized.

Also, if greater than 100k take a look at the various AIM money markets.
ourdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

I meant AIM Institutional money markets.
ourdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote