Online Social Security Application - Time Until First Payment

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If I apply online now to start taking Social Security to begin in January, is it feasible that my first payment (January) would arrive in February? Just wondering how long the time delay between application and earliest payment is recently. I found some older posts where the time taken seemed to vary a lot. In case it matters, I'm 68. Thanks!

If you apply now it probably would be February at the earliest, and as REWahoo said likely March. SS isn't known for speedy service and even Amazon sometimes needs more than two days to deliver.

The 1st SS check always comes the month after you "start". I started my spousal SS in November. I got my first check in December (YAY!). SS is always paid in arrears.

There could also be delays if there are any questions. For DW, she applied in early November, to start in February, but, she had several years working as a teacher. Paid Medicare, but not SS. Never worked long enough to get a pension (we rolled the balance to her IRA), but it set off a flag, and needed to be resolved by December 7, in order to qualify for February start, to be paid in March.

So, my guess is the earliest you would get a check would be March, and April if there are any questions to be addressed.

SSA pays in arrears so even if you filed tomorrow, the last day before the 1/1 check, the first payment, for January would be 2/1. It might be delayed, but you should receive it eventually. SSA suggests filing 3 months before the desired start date.

Here's a hint. Do not designate your direct deposit to an online savings account. I did that and it flagged my online application as possible fraud. That caused a call telling me that I had to appear in person at a local Social Security office with a photo ID.

It all got straightened out once I proved it was me but it was a hassle. I concluded that they expect people to deposit to a brick and mortar checking account where they can spend the money. My situation is that I'm saving mine and use an online savings account because of the higher interest.

I applied online on March 4, 2019, got that call and had my in-person meeting on March 23, 2019. My first direct deposit was in the third week in April as my birthday is late in the month.

You can easily change where your direct deposit goes after you are all set up.

Last edited:
SSA pays in arrears so even if you filed tomorrow, the last day before the 1/1 check, the first payment, for January would be 2/1. It might be delayed, but you should receive it eventually. SSA suggests filing 3 months before the desired start date.
Are you saying that I'd still get the January check just late or that they would skip the January check and just start with February's (paid in March) or if they were really late start with Marck's (paid in April?)

If you start in December you will get a January payment at some point. Maybe not January, maybe February or March, but they will pay it (as long as you are approved for SS starting in December). But if you don't start until January, then no, no payment for January. Your first payment is always the month after you start. It is always paid in arrears.

If I apply online now to start taking Social Security to begin in January, is it feasible that my first payment (January) would arrive in February?

DW applied in November for January 2020 start. She encountered delays in the application process but every was straightened out by the end of that month. In mid December she received the letter than her payments would start in February.

So... my bet if that if you start now for January, your first payment will not arrive until March.

What's all this about "checks arriving?"

Did you actually sign up to receive paper checks, or is this just shorthand for direct deposit?

I'm just wondering what possible advantage there could be to getting a paper check.

What's all this about "checks arriving?"

Did you actually sign up to receive paper checks, or is this just shorthand for direct deposit?

I'm just wondering what possible advantage there could be to getting a paper check.

I think Direct Deposit is normal, even to overseas bank accounts where they give the rate on the day, no foreign exchange rate fees.

I think folks use "check" in the same way they might say, "I taped that program last night", even though they have a DVR.

OK so I did the online application which time stamped the application as today's date: December 31, 2019. When I came to the section on when I wanted Social Security to start, the default was December 2019. The process asked asked for a reason why I wanted it to start in January 2020 instead. I just said I needed the income in 2020. Why would they care?!! Actually there were a whole lot of dates I could have chosen including, I believe, previous months.

The overall process was straightforward and I only had to search for one item, my date of naturalization. I think I will scan my naturalization papers so I have them more readily at hand. I suspect they would be tough to replace so I currently keep them in a fire-resistant document safe.

Update: My Social Security application was approved with a January start date. My payment is set up for the 4th Wednesday of the month. The amount is exactly what the anypia app predicted. Now, I'll see how long it takes for my IRMAA appeal to go through. :confused:

Thanks for the update. Not sure why the Naturalization date matters. This surprised me when I applied for ACA Insurance a few years ago, a US Passport is not good enough. My ACA application did not recognize the format of the Naturalization Certificate number and I ended up having to download a copy and wait for a human review before I could proceed. Did SSA need more than just the date of your Naturalization?

DH applied on line for SS in Sept 2019 and received his first check just this past week. He turned 62 in November 2019. It showed up on time and we went out to eat to celebrate living long enough to receive it. We did a happy dance!

The overall process was straightforward and I only had to search for one item, my date of naturalization. I think I will scan my naturalization papers so I have them more readily at hand. I suspect they would be tough to replace so I currently keep them in a fire-resistant document safe.

Thanks for the update. Not sure why the Naturalization date matters. This surprised me when I applied for ACA Insurance a few years ago, a US Passport is not good enough. My ACA application did not recognize the format of the Naturalization Certificate number and I ended up having to download a copy and wait for a human review before I could proceed. Did SSA need more than just the date of your Naturalization?
When we applied for DW’s Medicare they asked to see our marriage license and her birth certificate and naturalization certificate. It was used to get her US passpost, so it’s not clear why they want the original once again. Same for the ACA account at healthcare.gov.

Scanning the naturalization certificate is a good idea.

Hmmm, I thought I posted but dont see it....

I applied in person on jan 6.
Agent offered any previous month start or current.
I chose jan to keep numbers neat.
He says I'll see first deposit second wed in feb.
We'll see.

@Ian S, we filed an IRMAA appeal for 2020 and received approval within 2 weeks. YAY!

Wish you the same.

We'll see.

@Ian S, we filed an IRMAA appeal for 2020 and received approval within 2 weeks. YAY!

Wish you the same.

Did you have an appointment at the SS Office to file an IRMAA appeal?

When we applied for DW’s Medicare they asked to see our marriage license and her birth certificate and naturalization certificate. It was used to get her US passpost, so it’s not clear why they want the original once again. Same for the ACA account at healthcare.gov.

Scanning the naturalization certificate is a good idea.

Thanks. I do have it scanned in, saved from when applying for an ACA compliant policy on healthcare.gov.

DW will be applying for SS next year so it is good to know what to expect.

@aza455,
You don't need an in person appt to file an IRMAA appeal.

DH's SS notice of the IRMAA assessment listed what form to print from SS site online.
Printed it, filled it out in 10 min and SNAIL MAILED it to the local SS office.
Magic happened!

All I needed was the date. Trying to remember if they asked for the Naturalized Certificate number too. Probably.

We'll see.

Wish you the same.
Thanks, it's been over a month since I submitted the form and marriage license. I know they got it because I sent it certified mail. I've been billed at the IRMAA rate and paid through January. Billed now for February but presumably it will be taken out of the SS benefits now or maybe I should pay the bill and get reimbursed later.

Update: Starting Social Security and IRMAA Surcharge

Thanks, it's been over a month since I submitted the form and marriage license. I know they got it because I sent it certified mail. I've been billed at the IRMAA rate and paid through January. Billed now for February but presumably it will be taken out of the SS benefits now or maybe I should pay the bill and get reimbursed later.
Yesterday, I received letters from the Jamaica Social Security Center and the local Flagstaff SS Center. The latter was informing me that my IRMAA surcharge for 2020 had been rescinded. Yay! The former explained how they will deduct costs associated with my Medicare Parts B and D premiums going forward since I had been paying quarterly by credit card. The problem is that they appear to be taking out my January premium without realizing it's already been paid back in October and then in December when I got and paid another bill reflecting the increase in the general increase in monthly premium for January 2020 plus the IRMAA surcharge! So I guess I will have to get my documents together showing what I paid and why they are in error. Ugh. Maybe time for a trip to my local office to straighten it all out in person.

Oh and I'm still waiting to get the state certified copy of our marriage certificate back.

Back
Top Bottom